Top Ad Widget

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Need an opinion on optics. Just got a Browning blr lightweight 81 in 308. Its going to get something different than the factor

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Need an opinion on optics. Just got a Browning blr lightweight 81 in 308. Its going to get something different than the factor

Need an opinion on optics. Just got a Browning blr lightweight 81 in 308. Its going to get something different than the factory sights. My ideas are a low power hunting scope or compact tactil cal style scope or a tactical optic sight. The rifle will shoot big game generally inside 300 yards, will be used for still hunting and posting. I'd like a little magnification, not much. What do ya think?

I would look at the Redfield 2-7X or the 3-9X. Good scopes for the money. The 2-7X would be less bulky,

Comment

Check out the Leupold 1.75-6x32mm or the 2.5-8x36mm for what you are looking for, you can't go wrong with a Leupold. Or like DSM said the Redfields are good.

Comment

If I were you I would get a scope that allows for see-thru mounts(so that you can use both the scope and the iron sights). Those iron sights can definetely come in handy. I know for a fact that 1/2 of the deer I have killed would of been almost possible if I was not hunting with iron sights.

Comment

These responses are all right on. There are tons of great options in the 1-6x or 2-7x configurations. The tough part of your requirement is low power with fairly big objective lens, for milking the last bit of light out of the day when you're posting. You might look at the new Meopta Meostar in 1-6x42. It's pricier than the Leupold or certainly the Redfield, but it's a good scope.
          McKean

Comment

I had the BLR .308 in 1988 and had a leupold 2-7 on it. i would say even a lower power variable would work fine on it. most of the time i had it on 2 or 3 power.

Comment

Thanks for the input, especially on the bigger objective which is an angle I had forgotten. I have a 3-9x40 on a rem 700 right now that I put on a few years ago and have drawn it quickly, seems to be ok. I was worried about how a scope that size would feel on a blr, but I think whenever I cn find some mounts I'll swap it over and see how it is. What the beck, its only spring and the scope that was on the rem is sitting idle.
              Thanks again.

Comment

Welcome!

Collapse

Welcome to Outdoor Life's Answers section. Here you will find hunting, fishing, and survival tips from the editors of Outdoor Life, as well as recommendations from readers like yourself.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ for information on posting and navigating the forums.

And don't forget to check out the latest reviews on guns and outdoor gear on outdoorlife.com.

Right Rail 1 Ad

Collapse

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.

Right Rail 2 Ad

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

• Covid-19
                by jhjimbo
                Any indication a game animal can get the virus ? The news had a case of a dog in I think NC that got the virus.

Tucker Carlson had a guest...
                09-17-2020, 10:38 PM
              • Spur of the moment rifle
                by Amflyer
                I stopped in the local Scheels the other day so see about getting some IMR 4831. As a slow-ish old school powder I thought that the current buying craze...
                09-17-2020, 11:25 AM
              • The $20 Shooting Shack
                by fitch270
                So we’ve been doing some outside remodeling and dismantled some decking. The stuff wasn’t good enough to reuse on the house when we redo the decks...
                09-16-2020, 10:23 PM
              • When is it equipment vs when it is you?
                by dewman
                one of my range only pals stopped by last night. I showed him my new mk4 and he showed me his. He had spent a lot of $ on upgrades. A lot. Showed me some...
                09-15-2020, 08:42 AM
              • Dewman goes Teal hunting.
                by dewman
                So one of the farmers who doesn't hunt doves does hunt rails & snipe which opened the 1st, and teal which opened yesterday (Saturday). He asked me...
                09-13-2020, 04:48 PM

Right Rail 3 Ad

Collapse

Footer Ad Widget

Collapse
              Working...
              X