Top Ad Widget

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Best way to ask for permission to hunt private land in MI? I don't have any and it's a bit of a drive to the nearest public lan

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Best way to ask for permission to hunt private land in MI? I don't have any and it's a bit of a drive to the nearest public lan

Best way to ask for permission to hunt private land in MI? I don't have any and it's a bit of a drive to the nearest public land, I'm always polite and friendly; what ways get you a yes to hunt someone else's fields?

Well, I might be a bad one to say, since most of our hunting occurs on land either owned by friends or family, so we aren't asking complete strangers. But in general, it helps to have some sort of connection with people they know (and get along with, obviously), i.e., friends-of-friends, friends of coworkers, etc.
    If you do have to ask strangers, try to offer something in return, and I don't necessarily mean money. It could be as simple as occasionally lending a hand with farm work, or doing some repair work on a building, if you're handy with tools.
    Either way, try to build a connection with them before asking, don't just roll up and say "Hey, I wanna hunt your farm". And be prepared to be turned down - a lot, because no matter when you do there's going to be a lot of people that say no, for many reasons.

Comment

Take a kid with you. A landowner has a very hard time telling an eager kid no.

Comment

I'm always on the look out for xtra ground,and start up conversing with people then get around to asking would they mind if I can try my luck bowhunting first.SOMETIMES I;LL ask about coyotes first and never no pressure on them. A lot of people don't eat venison,but just about all like summer sausage or jerky,offer to share.THIS is an on going process 365 days a year.I lose places to hunt an pick up places,after a few years you should have plenty of places to choose from .

Comment

Hi...

The best way to get permission to hunt on private land anywhere is to NOT walk up to the owner's residence carrying your firearms...!! Leave them in your vehicle.

If you're granted permission, and have good luck on your hunt, thank the owner on your way out and offer to share your your game with them.

Comment

Can someone at OL please kick that troll who keeps -1ing everyone's correct answers off of here? It's stupid and childish and is dragging down the quality of the forums.

Comment

huntfishtrap, you got it! I do not let anyone hunt or fish that I do not know personally. I've been burned by promises before. Some will say anything or promise anything to hunt or fish. Later I have the mess to clean up.

Comment

I played the kid card all the time when my boys were little. Still have some of those places to hunt now that they are grown. Just shows that if you take care of a man's place and don't abuse it, you can probably come back.

Comment

Visit LandToHunt.com. It's an online marketplace to lease land for a day or more to hunters or lease your own land

Comment

Welcome!

Collapse

Welcome to Outdoor Life's Answers section. Here you will find hunting, fishing, and survival tips from the editors of Outdoor Life, as well as recommendations from readers like yourself.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ for information on posting and navigating the forums.

And don't forget to check out the latest reviews on guns and outdoor gear on outdoorlife.com.

Right Rail 1 Ad

Collapse

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.

Right Rail 2 Ad

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

• Remington news
                    by fitch270
                    Just caught this on another forum, wanted to pass it along and get thoughts from anyone interested. Hopefully something good will come out of it.
                    09-27-2020, 05:55 PM
                  • Grips and stocks
                    by dewman
                    so I was shooting the 357 I received from my father yesterday afternoon. The magnas that came on it gave me a good grip but were small enough to make...
                    09-27-2020, 08:55 AM
                  • Youth pheasant hike
                    by fitch270
                    Just the girl and the younger dog today. Ok, so we went hunting but she didn't pop a primer.

Started out with a guilt trip, I let the dogs...
                    09-26-2020, 08:41 PM
                  • Son of a Fitch; goin' mobile
                    by fitch270
                    Kid got his drivers license today, only points off were for not actually turning to look behind him when he pulled out from parallel parking. I told him...
                    09-25-2020, 08:27 PM
                  • Unusual Sound
                    by jhjimbo
                    At camp in S. Ohio I was almost asleep and I heard the strangest howl-screech, bark that I have ever heard. Raised the hair on my neck. About 30min later...
                    09-25-2020, 02:17 PM

Right Rail 3 Ad

Collapse

Footer Ad Widget

Collapse
                  Working...
                  X