Top Ad Widget

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What type of arrow shaft will penetrate a deer better carbon or aluminum?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What type of arrow shaft will penetrate a deer better carbon or aluminum?

What type of arrow shaft will penetrate a deer better carbon or aluminum?

-Only reason I can think of that one shaft would penetrate better than the other would be because of a smaller circumferance.
    -I would go with carbon arrows unless you can get a really good deal on some aluminum ones.

Comment

Yeah, JM hit the nail on the head. A lot of things effect penetration, but but the kind of arrow is not one of the bigger ones.
      In general, if you have a heavier arrow and a lighter one, and they're traveling at the same speed, the heavier one will penetrate better. But if the heavier one has a larger diameter, (like the aluminum shaft probably would) then the advantage will be reduced, if not negated.
      So you're usually going to be better off with the carbons, since they have other definite advantages over aluminums.

Comment

JM and huntfishtrap said it exactly right but don't forget it's not all about the arrow but what is projecting it too. A bow with great tension on the string will launch a smaller in diameter arrow out of it way faster than a larger arrow. WORD OF ADVICE: If switching to a carbon from aluminum, or vise versa, although cut to the same length, you will have to reset your sight pins cause arrow flight will change. Also, if using carbon check how strong the arrows are (I recommend Goldtip), you don't want a bow with such great power launching too flimsy of a carbon arrow; it'll explode if there is a weak point all over you and that is something you do NOT want to experience.

Comment

Carbon penetrates better than aluminum.

Comment

Whoever doesn't like my answer, please explain. I am curious.

Comment

I've been noticing this a lot Ishi. Seems like correct answers have been given -1 all over the website.

Comment

JM,

The (-1) does not bother me at all. Just curious if others have good penetration with aluminum arrows. I find carbon maintains arrow speed better than aluminum. I will admit, I feel awkward shooting carbon with a stick bow but results do not lie.

Comment

Sory the computer got messed up i didn't mean to post it 3 times

Comment

Sory the computer got messed up i didn't mean to post it 3 times

Comment

Ishi,
                      It does bother me when a correct answer gets a -1 because the person asking the question may go on thinking it is wrong without realizing that it was actually the correct answer.
                      -For anyone that -1's a comment, you should atleast explain why (you think) it's wrong.

Comment

Welcome!

Collapse

Welcome to Outdoor Life's Answers section. Here you will find hunting, fishing, and survival tips from the editors of Outdoor Life, as well as recommendations from readers like yourself.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ for information on posting and navigating the forums.

And don't forget to check out the latest reviews on guns and outdoor gear on outdoorlife.com.

Right Rail 1 Ad

Collapse

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.

Right Rail 2 Ad

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

• Son of a Fitch; goin' mobile
                        by fitch270
                        Kid got his drivers license today, only points off were for not actually turning to look behind him when he pulled out from parallel parking. I told him...
                        Today, 08:27 PM
                      • Unusual Sound
                        by jhjimbo
                        At camp in S. Ohio I was almost asleep and I heard the strangest howl-screech, bark that I have ever heard. Raised the hair on my neck. About 30min later...
                        Today, 02:17 PM
                      • bedding on new rifle
                        by Amflyer
                        Finally painted some release and on the action and blocked the undercuts with clay. Was out of the commercial release, a vinyl paint on solution by Brownells,...
                        Today, 12:22 AM
                      • Pictures blocked when logged out?
                        by fitch270
                        Can't quite figure this one out since it doesn't happen on F&S, if I'm not logged in posted pictures aren't showing up. Doubt its just me.
                        Yesterday, 08:57 PM
                      • Son of a Fitch: turkey taxidermy
                        by fitch270

The kid put this together with his solo bird from this spring. He split a slice of maple for the mounting board, dried the...
                        09-23-2020, 07:43 PM

Right Rail 3 Ad

Collapse

Footer Ad Widget

Collapse
                      Working...
                      X