Top Ad Widget

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Have any of you all tried an antler trap for collecting sheds? If so did it work and what did you use?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Have any of you all tried an antler trap for collecting sheds? If so did it work and what did you use?

Have any of you all tried an antler trap for collecting sheds? If so did it work and what did you use?

I just built one this year and have not had any sheds fall off in it yet. I took two square bales and put them in a V shape, over the top I positioned an oil steel gate. I put corn in the "bottom" of the V. My hope was that they would have to eat out of the open end of the bales but bump the gate when they had to reach under it. I did have a photo of a doe sticking her head between the slots in the gate, so I guess that would help bump their horns off also. I checked my trail camera last weekend and still have bucks with horns.

Comment

I tried something similar several years ago but used woven wire to make the "V". The squirrels kept the corn cleaned up and I never collected a shed. Was talking to someone a couple weeks ago about it and he said he heard of someone else who had tried it and had success using horse feed instead of corn.

Comment

While I admit I haven't personally tried them, I've always been skeptical about their effectiveness, because if antlers were knocked off that easily, then I should find sheds in bushes, under low-hanging branches, etc. all the the time, but I don't - most of mine are found in fairly open areas.

Comment

My antler trap is a recurve or longbow and an arrow placed just so....
          I have pictures of a few of the antlers harvested in this manner in my OL profile. ;D
          later,
          charlie

Comment

Thats the truth charlie I have one of those also. I like my 25-06 antler trap!!!

Comment

25-06 makes a good trap too. ;D
              That way the antlers are a fresh looking brown/tan and you have a nice piece of fur to display them on.
              later,
              charlie

Comment

Welcome!

Collapse

Welcome to Outdoor Life's Answers section. Here you will find hunting, fishing, and survival tips from the editors of Outdoor Life, as well as recommendations from readers like yourself.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ for information on posting and navigating the forums.

And don't forget to check out the latest reviews on guns and outdoor gear on outdoorlife.com.

Right Rail 1 Ad

Collapse

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.

Right Rail 2 Ad

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

Right Rail 3 Ad

Collapse

Footer Ad Widget