Top Ad Widget

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Looking for help with 243 ammo. All I hear about is long range performance with the new ammo these days. I hunt the woods of PA

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Looking for help with 243 ammo. All I hear about is long range performance with the new ammo these days. I hunt the woods of PA

Looking for help with 243 ammo. All I hear about is long range performance with the new ammo these days. I hunt the woods of PA and all my shots are under 100 yards( most are under 50). What would be a good bullet choice for whitetails? Is fragemtation an issue with close range shots with these new bullets? Bullets I am looking at- winchester power max bonded, remington core-lokt ultra bonded, nosler partition, winchester xp3. Any suggestions? Also, I do not reload.

Where at in PA do you hunt? I am up here in 1A and 1B. I do take my 243 out if i only have doe tags left and i use just standard Remington Core-Lokt ammo. Shot one this year at 60yds through both front shoulders and she dropped in her tracks. Bullet broke apart and sent one piece through the spine and two through both lungs and shoulders. Shot one last year in the chin and it stuck together on the way out. Broke apart on a stick behind her. Nice thing is that i didnt lose much meat to bullet blowup on either deer. That is the main reason i like filling tags in archery or Flintlock, along with it aint as much fun with the centerfire.

Comment

Like Smitty I use the standard Remington Core-Lokt ammunition.
      -"winchester power max bonded, remington core-lokt ultra bonded, nosler partition, winchester xp3." Each one of these will get the job done.

Comment

I hunt 4A and 4D in PA. Always used winchester power points with no major issues but never shot a monster buck either(PA hunter can dream right!) Just curious about the new and so called premium ammunition. Is it worth the money?

Comment

I would stick to what you are already using.

Comment

People have been killing deer with core-locks for ever, but I have fallen victim of the premium bullet push. I reload everything I shoot and use Barnes TTSX, and TSX im my 243 and my 25-06, in my 300 I use Nosler Accubonds and I just can't say enough good things about the Barnes. I have only shot one deer with the Accubonds and they work well, but the Barnes are impressive. Are they worth the $ I don't know but they work awesome and the bullet has the final say. But then again we kill them in the late season with round balls. I hunt in PA also. And I don't work for Barnes. Ha!

Comment

Just curious about the barnes tsx. At only 85 grains and such a high weight retention, does it leave much of an exit hole or blood trail? I know with a good shot it should not matter much but just curious

Comment

Never tried the Barnes but yeah, a PA hunter can dream. The way to do it is with the stick and string in october or the round ball in January.

Comment

Don't FIX what ANIT broken!! The 243 has killed deer from day One(1956)Season, I own a Win m/70-243 Rifle before the ammo was on the market(1955) I have used the 80Gr Ammo for Groundhogs to deer for 24Yr, Then i bough a 7mm/08 in(1982) for Moose and Big Deer in Canada.

Comment

I second 25-06guy about the Barnes TTSX, and they make a great exit wound if you need to blood trail one. I've had great performance out of these bullets in 120 gr. from my 7mm-08.

Comment

I was standing next to my father-in-law this year and watched him shoot a doe at 150yds with a 243 spitting 85gr TSX reloads with 4350 powder he hit it right behind the shoulder and at the crack of the rifle the deers nose was in the dirt.

Comment

DAMN! NUKE IT AND YOUR WALLET WILL YOU!

243 100 grain Core-LoktĀ®

Comment

Welcome!

Collapse

Welcome to Outdoor Life's Answers section. Here you will find hunting, fishing, and survival tips from the editors of Outdoor Life, as well as recommendations from readers like yourself.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ for information on posting and navigating the forums.

And don't forget to check out the latest reviews on guns and outdoor gear on outdoorlife.com.

Right Rail 1 Ad

Collapse

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.

Right Rail 2 Ad

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

• Dads gun #2 Browning auto5 20ga
                          by dewman
                          Last time it was shot was a pheasant hunt in Colorado in '84. I'll have to remedy that. This gun is feather light. Wish the choke was ic or mod. It's...
                          Yesterday, 08:40 AM
                        • Dads gun #1 S&W 28-2. .357
                          by dewman
                          Got my fathers 28-2 357 to go with my 29-2 44mag. Check out the safari land flap holster. ...
                          Yesterday, 07:59 AM
                        • What is taking so long ?
                          by jhjimbo
                          Can't be that hard for the Administrator to 86 the spammers....
                          09-21-2020, 07:52 PM
                        • Burn cream
                          by CD2
                          Drugstore used to carry a white silver cream.
                          No longer does.
                          Was maybe 10 bucks or so for a little tube.
                          Bargain.

Got...
                          09-21-2020, 05:39 PM
                        • Colorado surprise. Couple of dads guns.
                          by dewman
                          So even with all the wrangling being done to screw we 4 sons of my father I got a little lucky. Even though my stepmom is still alive and her 3 sons from...
                          09-20-2020, 10:12 PM

Right Rail 3 Ad

Collapse

Footer Ad Widget

Collapse
                        Working...
                        X