Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• how to hunt warm december days in Ohio

how to hunt warm december days in Ohio

Never hunted in Ohio, but down here, real early and as late as is legal are the best times and look for shady areas.

Comment

As pineywoods said make sure you are in the stand before daylight and for the last few hours in the day. When it is hot deer try to minimize movement during the middle of the day. You could still hunt during the day, but I still feel the best chance you will have is early in the morning and alittle before dark.

Comment

Never hunted in Ohio but here in NW PA i like finding places that lead to pines and water in the middle of the day and fields in the morning and evening.

Comment

The deer will be focusing on food. So sit between the bedding area and their food sources. The closer to the bedding area the better, especially when it is warm out. They won't be getting off their beds until later than normal.

Comment

Being from Southeast Ohio, I know the old addage that"If you don't like the weather in Ohio, stick around it will change tommorrow" We are having rain,so deer can find water sources about anywhere, otherwise I would tell you to focus on water mid morning and early afternoon. Look for coves with Northwestern or Northeastern exposures in the mid to late day. It will be cooler in bottoms near creeks and streams, many areas in hilly terrain do not get sunshine this time of year. Focus on stream crossings in these areas,look for trails coming off of hillsides, always works for me.

Comment

Hey, that was just going to be my question from here in Iowa! The weather's been cruddy here so far too, and the only advice I have is to try and wait it out and hope for cold/snow.

Comment

I live about 30 miles north of Dayton Ohio and I hunt only transition zones in open fields. I hunt in fence rows and have had luck through out the season as many others in early morning and late evening. It has been raining for God knows how long now and as stated water isn't a issue but good bedding areas are! I have noticed with the deer people have taken lately they are in high open areas. Around my area is pretty much flat so any high ground close to feed and dry areas would be a perfect place to focus. Corn fields that are cut high have been holding deer out in the open.

Comment

Welcome!

Collapse

Welcome to Outdoor Life's Answers section. Here you will find hunting, fishing, and survival tips from the editors of Outdoor Life, as well as recommendations from readers like yourself.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ for information on posting and navigating the forums.

And don't forget to check out the latest reviews on guns and outdoor gear on outdoorlife.com.

Right Rail 1 Ad

Collapse

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.

Right Rail 2 Ad

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

• Covid-19
                  by jhjimbo
                  Any indication a game animal can get the virus ? The news had a case of a dog in I think NC that got the virus.

Tucker Carlson had a guest...
                  09-17-2020, 10:38 PM
                • Spur of the moment rifle
                  by Amflyer
                  I stopped in the local Scheels the other day so see about getting some IMR 4831. As a slow-ish old school powder I thought that the current buying craze...
                  09-17-2020, 11:25 AM
                • The $20 Shooting Shack
                  by fitch270
                  So we’ve been doing some outside remodeling and dismantled some decking. The stuff wasn’t good enough to reuse on the house when we redo the decks...
                  09-16-2020, 10:23 PM
                • When is it equipment vs when it is you?
                  by dewman
                  one of my range only pals stopped by last night. I showed him my new mk4 and he showed me his. He had spent a lot of $ on upgrades. A lot. Showed me some...
                  09-15-2020, 08:42 AM
                • Dewman goes Teal hunting.
                  by dewman
                  So one of the farmers who doesn't hunt doves does hunt rails & snipe which opened the 1st, and teal which opened yesterday (Saturday). He asked me...
                  09-13-2020, 04:48 PM

Right Rail 3 Ad

Collapse

Footer Ad Widget

Collapse
                Working...
                X