Top Ad Widget

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Shot at a monster buck at last light tonight with my muzzleloader. The smoke cleared and he was gone. It was too dark to see any

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Shot at a monster buck at last light tonight with my muzzleloader. The smoke cleared and he was gone. It was too dark to see any

Shot at a monster buck at last light tonight with my muzzleloader. The smoke cleared and he was gone. It was too dark to see any blood but heard a crash. I shoot a muzzleloader with a side breach. Any possibility that the deer jumped the bullet on the first little pop before the boom? It was a 50 yard broadside shot. Anyone have a similar story with a happy ending to put me at ease so I can sleep tonight and be prepared for the search tomorrow?

Nah. Unlike an arrow a bullet is going to be there instantly. Hearing a crash is a really good sign, deer dont randomly fall over without being injured. Only way you could of missed that deer was your initial aim(No way he could of ducked the bullet). Good luck finding him tomorrow, I bet he's laying right where you heard that crash!

Comment

I would have had to get a good flashlight and go looking after waiting a few minutes. Good luck on yur search and hope the coyotes didn't find him first.

Comment

No way, he could not have heard the pop and reacted before the bullet got there. If you heard a crash, then he should be laying right there. I would have gone after him last night, but it is best to err on the side of caution. Let us know how it comes out!

Comment

Ditto~huntfishtrap,pineywoods,JM.
          All good signs of a good hit!.....the bad part of
          useing a smoke-pole is the smoke?
          JMO~ I use white-Hot pellits that emit almost no smoke for a great sight pix on game.

Comment

I would say you will probably find him without too much trouble if your aim was good. Deer are quick but can't duck a bullet or a round ball. Let us know how it turns out.

Comment

So....Did you find him???

Comment

well...it looks like i missed him...:-( Embarrassed to say ... it was the easiest shot I have ever had on the biggest deer I have ever had on my sights. No blood, no hair, no deer. Looked for 3 hours. Walked every inch of the farm with three of my friends...not a deer. We saw what made the crash...looks like he ran into a thorn bush and tore it up then kept on running. Oh well...at least he's still living with all four legs and no permanent damage done. Next year...he's on my wall!

Comment

Just a thought, you might want to shoot your gun...?

Comment

lol well at least your not alone,I missed a bigun 20 years ago with a bow right under my stand, TWICE and never found an arrow. A lot of bucks have paid the price for that boo boo since then,yet I STILL RELIVE THAT ENCOUNTER. GOOD LUCK ON YOUR FUTURE HUNTS

Comment

I'm guessing you flinched. I did so last year and missed a doe @ 30 yds!!!!! When shooting ML you have to feel the THUMP in your shoulder before you look where you hit the deer because sometimes there is a slight delay.

Comment

I have shot at deer this close ( 25 yrs. and closer ) using a muzzleloader/rifle only to have pulled the shot over the top of the back, it's something you hate to do but it happens, if you don't find blood in at least the first 100 yrds. you probably missed it completely, so think positive, the deer will more than likely be there next year!...Hopefully!

David Harcrow

Comment

Welcome!

Collapse

Welcome to Outdoor Life's Answers section. Here you will find hunting, fishing, and survival tips from the editors of Outdoor Life, as well as recommendations from readers like yourself.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ for information on posting and navigating the forums.

And don't forget to check out the latest reviews on guns and outdoor gear on outdoorlife.com.

Right Rail 1 Ad

Collapse

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.

Right Rail 2 Ad

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

Right Rail 3 Ad

Collapse

Footer Ad Widget