Top Ad Widget

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

I recently aquired a Remington Model 722 in .244 Remington. I am just wondering if any of you know anything about the .244. I

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I recently aquired a Remington Model 722 in .244 Remington. I am just wondering if any of you know anything about the .244. I

I recently aquired a Remington Model 722 in .244 Remington. I am just wondering if any of you know anything about the .244. I know absolutely NOTHING about it, but it was such a good looking rifle I just had to have it for the price he wanted. Any information will help. -Also where can I find ammunition for it.

The 244 was replaced with the 6mm you should find out the twist rate of the barrel this is what the problem was the twist rate was not good for heavy bullets for deer, check out some loading manuals they have all kinds of info on them. JM I will dig out my loading manual and tell you more about it later.

Comment

I had a friend that hunted with this cartridge. It was Remington's answer to the 243 but it never really caught on.

Comment

It has a 1 in 12 twist. Like you said 25-06, I heard that the 100 grain bullet was just too much for the 1 in 12 twist. People using the .244 preferred a 90 grain. My friend told me the 100 grain 6mm bullets are not accurate at all in a .244.
        -DSM, I read that it actually did extremely well as a varmit rifle, but it lost most of its popularity because people could not use it for anything bigger such as a deer.

Comment

JM I looked at a few loading manuals if you want to shoot 100gr bullets try the Speer or Hornady 100gr round nose bullet the length of the bullet is shorter than a spire point and they say it will stabilize with the 1 in 12 twist, or I would try the Barnes 80gr TTSX or the 85gr TSX I know the 85gr Barnes hammer deer. Good luck, that is a sweet heart caliber.

Comment

I ordered all the stuff I need for re-loading. Going to test a few different grain bullets...just gotta find the right one I suppose.

Comment

The Rem/244 was a DOG as DMSbirddog the Bbl. twist was too slow, Do your salf a favor have re-Barrel it to the 6MM/Rem NOW that SMOKES the 243Win by 200+
              FRS...so what you saved on the gun ..spend on a new Bbl.just saying...Merry Christmas..Ya'll

Comment

Here's Wikipedia on the cartridge...

Comment

Barnes load data - note that this is for 1:9 twist and the heavier bullets are not recommended for the 1:12

Comment

You may do better with the lighter weight Nosler bullet

Comment

Originally posted by Treestand View Post
                      The Rem/244 was a DOG as DMSbirddog the Bbl. twist was too slow, Do your salf a favor have re-Barrel it to the 6MM/Rem NOW that SMOKES the 243Win by 200+
                      FRS...so what you saved on the gun ..spend on a new Bbl.just saying...Merry Christmas..Ya'll
                      That's great advice. Did you get the rifle re-barreled?

Comment

Originally posted by JM View Post
                        I ordered all the stuff I need for re-loading. Going to test a few different grain bullets...just gotta find the right one I suppose.
                        So, what worked best?

Comment

Originally posted by 30-CAL View Post
                          JM I looked at a few loading manuals if you want to shoot 100gr bullets try the Speer or Hornady 100gr round nose bullet the length of the bullet is shorter than a spire point and they say it will stabilize with the 1 in 12 twist, or I would try the Barnes 80gr TTSX or the 85gr TSX I know the 85gr Barnes hammer deer. Good luck, that is a sweet heart caliber.
                          Barnes doesn't recommend the 85gr for that barrel twist rate - maybe because it's a long for caliber bullet

Comment

Welcome!

Collapse

Welcome to Outdoor Life's Answers section. Here you will find hunting, fishing, and survival tips from the editors of Outdoor Life, as well as recommendations from readers like yourself.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ for information on posting and navigating the forums.

And don't forget to check out the latest reviews on guns and outdoor gear on outdoorlife.com.

Right Rail 1 Ad

Collapse

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.

Right Rail 2 Ad

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

• Covid-19
                            by jhjimbo
                            Any indication a game animal can get the virus ? The news had a case of a dog in I think NC that got the virus.

Tucker Carlson had a guest...
                            09-17-2020, 10:38 PM
                          • Spur of the moment rifle
                            by Amflyer
                            I stopped in the local Scheels the other day so see about getting some IMR 4831. As a slow-ish old school powder I thought that the current buying craze...
                            09-17-2020, 11:25 AM
                          • The $20 Shooting Shack
                            by fitch270
                            So we’ve been doing some outside remodeling and dismantled some decking. The stuff wasn’t good enough to reuse on the house when we redo the decks...
                            09-16-2020, 10:23 PM
                          • When is it equipment vs when it is you?
                            by dewman
                            one of my range only pals stopped by last night. I showed him my new mk4 and he showed me his. He had spent a lot of $ on upgrades. A lot. Showed me some...
                            09-15-2020, 08:42 AM
                          • Dewman goes Teal hunting.
                            by dewman
                            So one of the farmers who doesn't hunt doves does hunt rails & snipe which opened the 1st, and teal which opened yesterday (Saturday). He asked me...
                            09-13-2020, 04:48 PM

Right Rail 3 Ad

Collapse

Footer Ad Widget

Collapse
                          Working...
                          X