Top Ad Widget

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

The owner of the farm next to mine just called and told me that someone came onto their property during the middle of the night

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The owner of the farm next to mine just called and told me that someone came onto their property during the middle of the night

The owner of the farm next to mine just called and told me that someone came onto their property during the middle of the night and shot one of their cows. My question is: What would you all do if you caught someone shooting one of your cows in the middle of the night? Take into consideration that where I live it would most likely take 30+ minutes for a law officer or game warden to show up. This is the second time a cow has been shot within a few miles of my farm this year.

Incase your curious: My neighbor is 85 years old so he didnt confront the person, he just waited until the morning and called a game warden to come on out. The person that shot the cow took little to no meat(no more than he/she could carry by hand).

Comment

Well in this case I think your neighbor did the right thing since he is 85yrs old, he could set up a trail cam to try and catch them. Or let a Mossberg do the talking.

Comment

He's 85....but im 19 and a much better shot :]

Comment

Where on earth do you live, West Va.? I think they shoot horses there too...
          Anyway, kidding aside, I'm not really sure what else he could lawfully have done, I doubt very much that you're entitled to shoot someone just because they shot one of your cows, and I for one wouldn't like to confront a firearm carrying trespasser in the middle of the night.
          I guess you could probably use a load of that crowd-control rubber buckshot on him, that would probably get his attention!

Comment

Sorry about the multiple posts, but I just had another thought, if he came in a vehicle I would see if I could find it and then let all the air out of the tires, that way he might stick around long enough for law enforcement to get there.

Comment

The golden rule is to do unto others as you would have them do unto you. But if you modify it just a little to change the meaning, it could read to do unto others *AS* they have done unto you. Thus a shot in the farmer's cow could be returned by a shot in the poacher's donkey. A 12 ga. shell loaded with popcorn instead of lead sends a strong message that the poacher's donkey will not soon forget.

Comment

I'd rather not shoot at the guy but I can see where the popcorn/rubber buck shot would do wonders. Like huntfishtrap said I was thinkin about going for the tires because there is only one main entrance onto our farm. Also I live in Missouri(Macon County)....I never really have figured out why takes so long for police to get here.

Comment

My first thought is to shoot him but I have never been in a situation like this so I dont know how I would react in real life. I wonder if it was an a**hole who just wanted to kill something or someone trying to feed their family.

Comment

Originally posted by JM View Post
                    Incase your curious: My neighbor is 85 years old so he didnt confront the person, he just waited until the morning and called a game warden to come on out. The person that shot the cow took little to no meat(no more than he/she could carry by hand).
                    That is truly wasteful. I think your neighbor did the wisest thing.

Comment

Originally posted by 30-CAL View Post
                      Well in this case I think your neighbor did the right thing since he is 85yrs old, he could set up a trail cam to try and catch them. Or let a Mossberg do the talking.
                      I was with you until the part about the Mossberg

Comment

He's 85....but im 19 and a much better shot :]
                        Hmmm, your attorney would advise you against such posts on social media.

Comment

Originally posted by santa View Post
                          The golden rule is to do unto others as you would have them do unto you. But if you modify it just a little to change the meaning, it could read to do unto others *AS* they have done unto you. Thus a shot in the farmer's cow could be returned by a shot in the poacher's donkey. A 12 ga. shell loaded with popcorn instead of lead sends a strong message that the poacher's donkey will not soon forget.
                          The owner is 85. He doesn't need to be taking the law into his own hands

Comment

I'd rather not shoot at the guy but I can see where the popcorn/rubber buck shot would do wonders. Like huntfishtrap said I was thinkin about going for the tires because there is only one main entrance onto our farm. Also I live in Missouri(Macon County)....I never really have figured out why takes so long for police to get here.
                            The police are probably understaffed.

Comment

Originally posted by NJG86 View Post
                              My first thought is to shoot him but I have never been in a situation like this so I dont know how I would react in real life. I wonder if it was an a**hole who just wanted to kill something or someone trying to feed their family.
                              Sounds more like someone trying to feed the family

Comment

Welcome!

Collapse

Welcome to Outdoor Life's Answers section. Here you will find hunting, fishing, and survival tips from the editors of Outdoor Life, as well as recommendations from readers like yourself.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ for information on posting and navigating the forums.

And don't forget to check out the latest reviews on guns and outdoor gear on outdoorlife.com.

Right Rail 1 Ad

Collapse

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.

Right Rail 2 Ad

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

• Home Defense
                                by jhjimbo
                                If you are using your bird gun for double duty of house defense remember to remove the plug. Might as well have full magazine capacity. Also, I have...
                                Yesterday, 02:15 PM
                              • Pay it forward
                                by fitch270
                                I'm not sure how much interest this will generate but I figured I'd give it a shot and see how it goes. As a way of saying thanks for the help and entertainment...
                                10-18-2020, 01:34 PM
                              • Reloading Gear Order
                                by fitch270
                                I have a bunch of stuff in a cart at Midway and wanted to check with you guys before I place the order. A few things on the cheap side I want to make...
                                10-17-2020, 08:31 AM
                              • Ruger Oops! Round 2
                                by dewman
                                Asked girls if they want it. (Mk4 Hunter) No. We want another rifle so we aren't sharing the one single shot. Some phone calls and a pal & me meet...
                                10-16-2020, 03:20 PM
                              • Who hunts big game with a handgun?
                                by Ernie
                                Any handgun hunters here?
                                Describe your hunting handguns (With Pics!) whether they be revolvers, semi-autos or single-shot specialty pistols.
                                10-16-2020, 02:01 PM

Right Rail 3 Ad

Collapse

Footer Ad Widget

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X