Top Ad Widget

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

With the coming snow and nearing end of rifle season, i will be begining my all day fox and yote tracking excursions. My questio

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• With the coming snow and nearing end of rifle season, i will be begining my all day fox and yote tracking excursions. My questio

With the coming snow and nearing end of rifle season, i will be begining my all day fox and yote tracking excursions. My question is what size of pot should i get. It would be nice to get a warm lunch and coming home is really not an option. Also any other advice on cooking in the wilderness would be greatly appreciated.

I would go with a 2 Liter pot(If I remember correctly there are 8 cups in 2 liters).
    -How long will you be in the woods though, is it just for lunch or will you sometimes stay overnight?
    Start trying to get some dried foods prepared at home though(fruits,meats,etc)just incase you cant find/kill anything to eat. Dried foods weigh very little and last a long time.

Comment

For fox and yote tracking i generally go out about a half hour before light and will come back within a half hour after it gets dark. If i am out overnight then Houston, we have a problem! During the summer though i do have little overnighters for catfishing or frog/carp hunting.
      I was thinking about getting some dried foods and some soup or something and melt snow for water.

Comment

Then yeah, a 2 liter pot will do everything you need it to. I would suggest boiling the snow for a few minutes just to be safe.
        -Sounds like a lot of fun, wish I could join you haha. Maybe I'll make a few tracking trips of my own once it starts snowing =]. How big is the area you are going to cover?

Comment

One of my areas is roughly 37 square miles and my other is about 22 square miles. The foxes tend to make a lot of circles and cross over other fox tracks so i rarely have to cover a lot of ground to find a few different sets of tracks.

Comment

I tracked a pack of coyotes one morning after a hard snow(were TONS of tracks)....I literally stepped on my own footprints like 3 times following them because they kept circling...ended up walking in on about 7 of them eating a dead cow on side of railroad. Wish had a gun with me =\.

Comment

I dont think i would try to track a yote without a gun...with my luck it would be a rabid man eater, let alone tracking a pack.

Comment

As long as there is a dead cow laying on the side of the railroad I don't need to worry about them eating me lol. I am more worried that a mountain lion is going to jump out of a tree and kill me now that I have seen one on my farm. Mountain lions make a coyote look like a chiwawa haha

Comment

That stinks you had no gun JM you could of knocked off a few deer killing song dogs.

Comment

I use to use a "billy can" as they are called in Alaska. It is a 2 lb. coffee can with a wire loop bucket style; made of steel kind, a few brands still come in them. You can put your grub in the can with the lid for carrying. Build a fire to boil water to potable condition and cook whatever. When it gets all sooty and nasty discard for a new one.
                    later,
                    charlie

Comment

Never thought of that charlie, I think you have the winning idea. My main probablem with a pot is that it did not have a lid that would secure on its own. Why have something that serves one function when you can have something that serves 2+?
                      Thanks,
                      Smitty18

Comment

Hi...

Might I recommend freeze dried or dehydrated food? It (some of it, anyway)can be very tasty, and all you do is add hot water, which can be heated in a small tin, or in many of the military surplus kits, small pots, etc. that are readily available.

Even the small tin can mentioned would be adequate.

Another option is military MREs, which can be heated in their own heating packs.

In my BOB I carry a pint cup from a new German military mess kit for heating/boiling water. Works fine.

Comment

Smitty forgot to mention you can turn the can upside down and use the bottom to fry things.
                          Happy tracking.
                          later,
                          charlie

Comment

I have kinda looked at MREs and i think i will pick up a couple next time i run to the store. As for frying, Can you say fresh rabbit and squirrel
                            I use a .243 so i better make darn sure it is a headshot or i wont have any meat to cook.

Comment

Welcome!

Collapse

Welcome to Outdoor Life's Answers section. Here you will find hunting, fishing, and survival tips from the editors of Outdoor Life, as well as recommendations from readers like yourself.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ for information on posting and navigating the forums.

And don't forget to check out the latest reviews on guns and outdoor gear on outdoorlife.com.

Right Rail 1 Ad

Collapse

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.

Right Rail 2 Ad

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

• Home Defense
                              by jhjimbo
                              If you are using your bird gun for double duty of house defense remember to remove the plug. Might as well have full magazine capacity. Also, I have...
                              Yesterday, 02:15 PM
                            • Pay it forward
                              by fitch270
                              I'm not sure how much interest this will generate but I figured I'd give it a shot and see how it goes. As a way of saying thanks for the help and entertainment...
                              10-18-2020, 01:34 PM
                            • Reloading Gear Order
                              by fitch270
                              I have a bunch of stuff in a cart at Midway and wanted to check with you guys before I place the order. A few things on the cheap side I want to make...
                              10-17-2020, 08:31 AM
                            • Ruger Oops! Round 2
                              by dewman
                              Asked girls if they want it. (Mk4 Hunter) No. We want another rifle so we aren't sharing the one single shot. Some phone calls and a pal & me meet...
                              10-16-2020, 03:20 PM
                            • Who hunts big game with a handgun?
                              by Ernie
                              Any handgun hunters here?
                              Describe your hunting handguns (With Pics!) whether they be revolvers, semi-autos or single-shot specialty pistols.
                              10-16-2020, 02:01 PM

Right Rail 3 Ad

Collapse

Footer Ad Widget

Collapse
                            Working...
                            X