Top Ad Widget

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

a few days ago TSASING posted the question about deer hunting with dogs,and some responces claimed this isn't true or fair chase

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• a few days ago TSASING posted the question about deer hunting with dogs,and some responces claimed this isn't true or fair chase

a few days ago TSASING posted the question about deer hunting with dogs,and some responces claimed this isn't true or fair chase,so my question is are deer drives unethicaal or not fair chase, I think deer hunting is all about how you enjoy your hunt.

I have to say up front that I'm probably a little biased, as I do participate in drives, and don't hunt with dogs. With that being said, I have always found dog hunting to be a little hard to swallow, not sure I can articulate my reasons for it, it's just the way I feel. I don't think it's fair to compare dog hunting with human deer drives either; unless you have a small army of hunters it's usually pretty easy for the deer to get away from people if they know how to do it, but it's virtually impossible for them go escape from well-trained dogs. So if you look at it in that regard, I'm not sure you could strictly call it fair chase.

Comment

This subject was raised quite some time ago on the forum. I can't say quite when as my idea of 'the other day' can range from a few months to a few years. Regardless, it generated a great deal of discussion. The fellow who raised the question had used dogs in this manner and presented his perspective very well. He had plenty of history on his side as his family had been hunting with dogs for generations. In his part of the country that was and is the way they hunt. I recall responding with some pretty hostile comments when he first came onto the forum with this topic. In my part of the country, dogs seen chasing deer are to be shot. In fact, it is illegal to hunt deer with a dog in Alberta. In my mind this just seemed plain wrong. The discussion that ensued changed my opinion. His description of the hunt was exciting and challenging. This is not some cruel blood sport as those of us uneducated to the sport would imagine. These dogs do not tear into the deer like a wolf pack. Their job is to drive the deer towards the hunters, not take them down. That is not unlike a group of hunters trying to push deer, it is just more effective. I wish we could dig up his story and the comments that it generated. More than a few of us learned something from that exchange and I would say it represented one of the best discussions ever mounted on this forum. Whether you agree or disagree with the opinions of others, you have to be prepared to listen and learn one way or another.

Comment

I would like to comment on what you said about deer hunting being about "how you enjoy your hunt." I personally believe that hunting is about spending time in the great outdoors and providing food for you family. The best times I've had are in the woods and I truly did enjoy them regardless of weather I harvested an animal or not... Remember its not what you harvest, its the reason why.

Comment

I don't think it's any less ethical to hunt deer with dogs than it is to hunt bobwhite quail or turkeyswith dogs.

Comment

More often then not bucks run with dogs escape. They rarely ever present a decent shot. Human-only deer drives in my opinion are ethical, more ethical than treestand hunting to me, becuse when running from humans or even dogs the deer knows that it is in danger and has a fair chance to escape. However, I believe that stand hunting, deer drives, and dog hunting are all ethical at there basic form. its when you throw em in a pen that makes it wrong

Comment

More often then not bucks run with dogs escape. They rarely ever present a decent shot. Human-only deer drives in my opinion are ethical, more ethical than treestand hunting to me, becuse when running from humans or even dogs the deer knows that it is in danger and has a fair chance to escape. However, I believe that stand hunting, deer drives, and dog hunting are all ethical at there basic form. its when you throw em in a pen that makes it wrong

Comment

Anyone that believes that it is not fair chase has never tried it. I also hunt from stands, I see and kill a lot more deer without the dogs. It is a lot eisier to sit in a stand and shoot a deer standing still, that does not even know that it is being hunted. I hunt with the dogs because, I enjoy it a lot more than still hunting.
                I walk with my dogs through the woods, to try to get them to jump a deer, for someone else to shoot. It is unlikely that I am the one that will get a shot, but I go anyway, because I love watching my dogs work. It is more satisfying to me to have someone kill a deer in front of my dogs, than for me to kill one myself, and no that is not because I am old, I'm not.
                Most of the time the deer do get away, they will run them for a ways, and ussually lose them in a beaver swamp, or just get tired and come back.
                Hunters need to be carful of what they call fair chase and not. What is fair chase to you may not be to me. stop one form of hunting that you dont like, you may be next. No dogs one year, maybe no rifles the next, or maybe no elevated treestands, you get the picture.
                There have been some very good comments on this subject. I'm gald to know we can have a debate, without personal attacks.

Comment

Using dogs to hunt deer is illegal in Indiana so I have no experience on that. Personally I think that using dogs to run deer is ok but using catch dogs, I dont think thats right. (youtube search great dane hunting deer, its pretty hard to watch) On human drives, I do not participate in them. I did once when I was 15 and I felt very unsafe, guys were shooting every which way and it was dangerous. Plus I saw more than one guy fill their tags and keep shooting. When it was over guys were tagging deer they didnt shoot and it didnt seem right to me. I dont think that its wrong or unethical, I just choose not to do it, but to each his own.

Comment

Welcome!

Collapse

Welcome to Outdoor Life's Answers section. Here you will find hunting, fishing, and survival tips from the editors of Outdoor Life, as well as recommendations from readers like yourself.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ for information on posting and navigating the forums.

And don't forget to check out the latest reviews on guns and outdoor gear on outdoorlife.com.

Right Rail 1 Ad

Collapse

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.

Right Rail 2 Ad

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

• Remington news
                    by fitch270
                    Just caught this on another forum, wanted to pass it along and get thoughts from anyone interested. Hopefully something good will come out of it.
                    09-27-2020, 05:55 PM
                  • Grips and stocks
                    by dewman
                    so I was shooting the 357 I received from my father yesterday afternoon. The magnas that came on it gave me a good grip but were small enough to make...
                    09-27-2020, 08:55 AM
                  • Youth pheasant hike
                    by fitch270
                    Just the girl and the younger dog today. Ok, so we went hunting but she didn't pop a primer.

Started out with a guilt trip, I let the dogs...
                    09-26-2020, 08:41 PM
                  • Son of a Fitch; goin' mobile
                    by fitch270
                    Kid got his drivers license today, only points off were for not actually turning to look behind him when he pulled out from parallel parking. I told him...
                    09-25-2020, 08:27 PM
                  • Unusual Sound
                    by jhjimbo
                    At camp in S. Ohio I was almost asleep and I heard the strangest howl-screech, bark that I have ever heard. Raised the hair on my neck. About 30min later...
                    09-25-2020, 02:17 PM

Right Rail 3 Ad

Collapse

Footer Ad Widget

Collapse
                  Working...
                  X