Top Ad Widget

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

I was just wondering why there is almost nothing on this site or other hunting sites, about deer hunting with dogs. That is just

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I was just wondering why there is almost nothing on this site or other hunting sites, about deer hunting with dogs. That is just

I was just wondering why there is almost nothing on this site or other hunting sites, about deer hunting with dogs. That is just the way it is done around here, doggi-style. Lets hear it from the houndsmen.

Every now and then you see an article about it.likely written by someone who's never tried. Many people believe its unethical ,however, I see it more ethical than stand hunting. At least with dogs the deer knows its in danger and to run to water. Stand hunting they are just enjoying the day trying to get some food.

Comment

I grew up with deer hunting with dogs back in the fifties and sixties and had some great times and killed a lot of deer. When stand hunting and planting food plots began to get popular, it started to get harder and harder to find tracts of land large enough to hunt with dogs without making some stand hunters mad. As the majority of hunters became stand hunters, the AL legislature passed laws regulating dog hunting and the practice is dwindling away. I'll have to say that a stand killed deer is a lot tastier than one that has been run across two sections.

If you want a perfect description of an Alabama deer drive from back in the seventies, read the first chapter of Tom Kelly's book, "The Tenth Legion". I've re-read it dozens of times and it still makes me laugh until my sides hurt.

I'm not about to get into the ethics of dog vs. stand hunting. I prefer stand hunting because I can do it on my own, but I agree that dogs will get out those old mossy-horn bucks that never move in the daytime. If you've got the ground to dog hunt, go for it.

Comment

I don't know about other states, but in Mt. it is illegal to pursue big game with dogs.

Comment

Hunting deer with dogs is illegal in Iowa as well. I think there are a limited number of states that do allow it. I guess if the state says it is legal then the ethics question is answered by that fact.

Comment

lol. it's been years since I CHASED DEER with dogs and I LIKED IT.A LOT DIFFERENT THAN STAND HUNTING ,So as long as its legal in your state why not?

Comment

I forgot to mention we used horses' and tried to rope'm.

Comment

Illegal in MO.

Comment

William Falkners "Race at Morning" is a great short story about deer dogs. I have read it several times, bettter every time I read it.

Comment

I do both here in Florida but mostly stand hunt because I can't afford hunting club membership. I can tell you both methods are ethical and definitely fair chase. Trying to stand hunt these small deer in our vast thickets is quite challenging at times, but wiley old bucks can still easily escape the dogs.

Comment

Welcome!

Collapse

Welcome to Outdoor Life's Answers section. Here you will find hunting, fishing, and survival tips from the editors of Outdoor Life, as well as recommendations from readers like yourself.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ for information on posting and navigating the forums.

And don't forget to check out the latest reviews on guns and outdoor gear on outdoorlife.com.

Right Rail 1 Ad

Collapse

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.

Right Rail 2 Ad

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

• Dads gun #2 Browning auto5 20ga
                      by dewman
                      Last time it was shot was a pheasant hunt in Colorado in '84. I'll have to remedy that. This gun is feather light. Wish the choke was ic or mod. It's...
                      Yesterday, 08:40 AM
                    • Dads gun #1 S&W 28-2. .357
                      by dewman
                      Got my fathers 28-2 357 to go with my 29-2 44mag. Check out the safari land flap holster. ...
                      Yesterday, 07:59 AM
                    • What is taking so long ?
                      by jhjimbo
                      Can't be that hard for the Administrator to 86 the spammers....
                      09-21-2020, 07:52 PM
                    • Burn cream
                      by CD2
                      Drugstore used to carry a white silver cream.
                      No longer does.
                      Was maybe 10 bucks or so for a little tube.
                      Bargain.

Got...
                      09-21-2020, 05:39 PM
                    • Colorado surprise. Couple of dads guns.
                      by dewman
                      So even with all the wrangling being done to screw we 4 sons of my father I got a little lucky. Even though my stepmom is still alive and her 3 sons from...
                      09-20-2020, 10:12 PM

Right Rail 3 Ad

Collapse

Footer Ad Widget

Collapse
                    Working...
                    X