Top Ad Widget

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

There is a stand my dad wants to put up on our farm but its right by the only road that borders our farm(its a gravel road but t

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• There is a stand my dad wants to put up on our farm but its right by the only road that borders our farm(its a gravel road but t

There is a stand my dad wants to put up on our farm but its right by the only road that borders our farm(its a gravel road but there are probably still 2-3 cars that drive by every week). It is right near where the railroad crosses so I am afraid someone might stop because of the railroad and see it and try to take the stand. Before he hangs it I just wanna know if any of you all have ideas on what I can do to make sure no one can steal it.

^ Taking it down and putting back up every time he goes hunting is not an option.

Comment

There is really nothing you can do to prevent it. Try facing it away from the road and use strap on tree steps and just take off the first couple when you leave. No matter what you do, if someone really wants to steal it they will. Chain it to the tree and hope they dont come back with bolt cutters.

Comment

Yeah I was kind of thinking that as well, "No matter what you do, if someone really wants to steal it they will". Ironic part is the majority of the cars that drive by are work trucks that usually have a ladder on top so taking the steps down wont do much haha.
        I still think there are thinks that I can do to atleast make them have to work at it longer(I can see the interection from the house when its light so if a car is stopped I'll notice and can cut them off).

Comment

Weld a hinged a metal strap that goes from one side of the stand to the other, with room for the tree then on the side thats not hinged add a nut and bolt that runs through the frame of the stand, and drill a hole in the end of the bolt and add a cotter pin to it with some loc-tite, they would need a hammer or hacksaw to get through that and it would be alot of work.

Comment

Sounds like a lot of work to put it up also haha...not a bad idea at all though since I would only have to do it once.

Comment

Don't use chain, use wire cable. They won't cut that with bolt cutters. Use a padlock that can't be cut with bolt cutters, too.

Comment

Was thinking a wire cable covered in plastic for noise/all that jazz...good idea

Comment

just let me know where it is. I will take care of it for you.

Comment

About your only option is to either use a chain and padlock, or a cable lock, and hope they don't want it bad enough to come back with a bolt cutters or a hacksaw. Using screw-in tree steps and removing the bottom three or four after every hunt can help too.
                    Bottom line, if somebody wants it bad enough, there's nothing practical that you can do to stop them. So you might as well just do enough to prevent casual thieves from making off with it, and keep your fingers crossed.

Comment

I use chain and padlocks on all my stands. I had all 4 of my stands stolen 2yrs ago and not one of them was within 500yrds of the road.

Comment

Welcome!

Collapse

Welcome to Outdoor Life's Answers section. Here you will find hunting, fishing, and survival tips from the editors of Outdoor Life, as well as recommendations from readers like yourself.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ for information on posting and navigating the forums.

And don't forget to check out the latest reviews on guns and outdoor gear on outdoorlife.com.

Right Rail 1 Ad

Collapse

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.

Right Rail 2 Ad

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

• Remington news
                        by fitch270
                        Just caught this on another forum, wanted to pass it along and get thoughts from anyone interested. Hopefully something good will come out of it.
                        Yesterday, 05:55 PM
                      • Grips and stocks
                        by dewman
                        so I was shooting the 357 I received from my father yesterday afternoon. The magnas that came on it gave me a good grip but were small enough to make...
                        Yesterday, 08:55 AM
                      • Youth pheasant hike
                        by fitch270
                        Just the girl and the younger dog today. Ok, so we went hunting but she didn't pop a primer.

Started out with a guilt trip, I let the dogs...
                        09-26-2020, 08:41 PM
                      • Son of a Fitch; goin' mobile
                        by fitch270
                        Kid got his drivers license today, only points off were for not actually turning to look behind him when he pulled out from parallel parking. I told him...
                        09-25-2020, 08:27 PM
                      • Unusual Sound
                        by jhjimbo
                        At camp in S. Ohio I was almost asleep and I heard the strangest howl-screech, bark that I have ever heard. Raised the hair on my neck. About 30min later...
                        09-25-2020, 02:17 PM

Right Rail 3 Ad

Collapse

Footer Ad Widget

Collapse
                      Working...
                      X