Top Ad Widget

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

I have problems at my deer camp with dogs coming out of nowhere and barking at me while I'm in my stand and ruining my hunt. Som

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I have problems at my deer camp with dogs coming out of nowhere and barking at me while I'm in my stand and ruining my hunt. Som

I have problems at my deer camp with dogs coming out of nowhere and barking at me while I'm in my stand and ruining my hunt. Sometimes they are stray abandoned dogs and sometimes they are hunting dogs being run across my property. I'm at a loss as to how to solve this problem. I don't want to hurt the dogs or piss off the owner. Any suggestions?

That's a tough one. Right now all I can think of is talking to the owner...give me some time and I should be able to think of something. If you know that it is a stray dog I wouldn't have a problem shooting it, mainly because on my neighbors farm two little kids have been bitten by two different strays(at same time)...they suck at surviving so they go for anything.

Comment

On my land, feral strays tend to disappear. With hunting dogs, try to catch them and notify the owner, at which time you can express your concerns. If this fails, contact law enforcement.

Comment

Here are a few suggestions :
        1. Your hunt is ruined anyway, so why not let a few rounds fly very close to the dogs - maybe the dogs will get the message.
        2. Post your property for insurance. When law enforcement gets involved they will side with you, because you have posted property and the people (with dogs) are trespassing. I posted my home's property and the police sided with me on a trespassing issue.
        3. When the hunting dogs are in the area follow them the best you can and inform the owners of what their hunting dogs are doing - ruining YOUR hunt not theirs.
        4. Look around for parked vehicles and wait for the owners to show up with their dogs and let them know their dogs are trespassing and ruining your hunting. As hunters they should understand. If, they don't maybe you can say something like "Won't be my fault if your dogs don't show up back at your truck."
        5. Bring a camera and take pictures of the dogs harassing you. As the saying goes "A picture is worth a thousand words." And the photo will give positive identification of the troublemaker.
        6. Bring a pellet/BB pistol with you and shoot the dog(s) in the rump. That should be a good deterrent for the dogs.
        7. With the stray dogs maybe you could leash one and bring it to the dog pound or animal control, which could be dangerous or a waste of time perhaps. Or who knows maybe one of those strays would make a good companion. The strays that don't co-operate with pellet/BB gun rounds might co-operate with a round to the head. I don't condone shooting dogs, but you might be doing the stray a favor.
        8. Remember you are in the right and they are in the wrong, so don't be concerned about pissing somebody off. Out of anybody, you should be the one pissed off.
        Good luck with your hunt.... and the dog problem.

Comment

Yeah, I like dogs but I would have to agree that for ones that are obviously strays a bullet to the head is probably the best way to take care of it. For the hunting dogs first talk the owners, and if it happens again then go to the local game warden/conservation officer, they will probably be better equipped to help you with a problem like this than the police would.

Comment

Put up a "Warning, Dog's not under control of owner will be shot" sign or something simular around the property...should sway people from hunting on your property...plus it gives you even more legal defence.

Comment

r u any good with a slingshot ?

Comment

I usually don't trek very far,
                when all around me noisey dogs are.

Hi...

Since you don't want to harm the dogs (YET), you may want to consider live trapping them. Then return to owner...or off to the pound.

A BB gun may also be used to try to scare them off.

Otherwise...I think the other posters have some good ideas, too.

Another thought would be to buy a dog sled and...oh, never mind...!!

Comment

The law in PA is if a dog is caught in the act of injuring a big game animal and is not under the control of the owner, you can shoot it. While i would not shoot a dog that is clearly not a stray, i would take the shot on a stray. Dogs and yotes are similar so set some yote traps with dog food or something.

Comment

I doubt that many of these dogs are hunting dogs. If they are, they are not very good ones, if they are barking at you.

Comment

p,o the owner ,kill the dogs .he has no respect running his dogs where they shouldn't be.IF you want good relations warn them first.

Comment

Thanks everyone for the advice. I just got in from another hunt today at my other property (I have 2) and just as a nice mature doe stepped into my clearing a dog started barking somewhere in the woods about 50 feet away and spooked the deer. Never heard the dog bark before the deer stepped out and after the deer ran off I didn't hear anymore barking. This is 2 weeks in a row at two different camps. I thought blood was going to shoot out of my eyes I was so mad. If I would have seen that dog I would have shot it on site. The reason I don't want to piss off the owner is I have small cabins on both places and don't want to discover them burnt down. On second thought maybe I should insure them for twice the amount they are worth and start shooting dogs. I might also do the poison meatballs. Also, the dog owners are very good at not getting caught because they know exactly what they are doing running dogs on other peoples property and they are pros at it.

Comment

It sounds like you have your mind made up, but after that story, it is almost certainly, not someones hunting dogs. Any halfway decent deer dog would have been off on the race. Sounds like house pets to me. I know that has to be frustrating, but dont blame it on dog hunters, when it is not.
                          Every year near the end of season, somebody dumps dead dogs at the gate of my hunting club, but not even one of these dogs has been ours. Don't be that guy.

Comment

Welcome!

Collapse

Welcome to Outdoor Life's Answers section. Here you will find hunting, fishing, and survival tips from the editors of Outdoor Life, as well as recommendations from readers like yourself.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ for information on posting and navigating the forums.

And don't forget to check out the latest reviews on guns and outdoor gear on outdoorlife.com.

Right Rail 1 Ad

Collapse

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.

Right Rail 2 Ad

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

• Remington news
                            by fitch270
                            Just caught this on another forum, wanted to pass it along and get thoughts from anyone interested. Hopefully something good will come out of it.
                            Yesterday, 05:55 PM
                          • Grips and stocks
                            by dewman
                            so I was shooting the 357 I received from my father yesterday afternoon. The magnas that came on it gave me a good grip but were small enough to make...
                            Yesterday, 08:55 AM
                          • Youth pheasant hike
                            by fitch270
                            Just the girl and the younger dog today. Ok, so we went hunting but she didn't pop a primer.

Started out with a guilt trip, I let the dogs...
                            09-26-2020, 08:41 PM
                          • Son of a Fitch; goin' mobile
                            by fitch270
                            Kid got his drivers license today, only points off were for not actually turning to look behind him when he pulled out from parallel parking. I told him...
                            09-25-2020, 08:27 PM
                          • Unusual Sound
                            by jhjimbo
                            At camp in S. Ohio I was almost asleep and I heard the strangest howl-screech, bark that I have ever heard. Raised the hair on my neck. About 30min later...
                            09-25-2020, 02:17 PM

Right Rail 3 Ad

Collapse

Footer Ad Widget

Collapse
                          Working...
                          X