Top Ad Widget

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

I shot a really nice deer the other day with my muzzle loader. I heard it enter the deer. The shot was at 80 yards. He wend do

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I shot a really nice deer the other day with my muzzle loader. I heard it enter the deer. The shot was at 80 yards. He wend do

I shot a really nice deer the other day with my muzzle loader. I heard it enter the deer. The shot was at 80 yards. He wend down on his back and kicked his feet for about 15-20 seconds then got to his feet and walked to a tree line near by where some does came into an adjacent field. He took off after these does and I took off after him. When I last saw him he was running around the field chasing does. What in the world happened? Does anyone have an idea? I know I shot him, was aiming at the shoulder.

I can think of two possibilities, the less likely one is that your bullet did hit the shoulder, but for some reason didn't penetrate through it, while possible, I don't think that's likely with today's muzzleloaders and bullets. So my best guess would be that you hit him very high, and just grazed the top of the spine, hard enough to momentarily stun him but not enough to cause any lasting effect. With that kind of hit the flesh wound might be minor enough so that he would go right back to chasing does too, if he was really feeling his oats.

Comment

I have always said if it is still moving put another shot in it....like huntfishtrap said you might of hit real high shoulder(between shoulder and spine = no kill) and knocked it over. If this is the case the deer most likely lived, so do not feel bad about it.

Comment

This happened to me but with a bow. I shot a nice deer and hit it high. It actually hit the ground where I shot it and laid there. I thought it was dead. But then after about a min it jumped up and ran off. I saw this deer three days later in a field eating. Hit the no kill zone right above his lung and right below his spine. Good news is that it's not fatal and the deer will be just fine. Bad news...you relive the miss over and over again for ever

Comment

I had this happen with a slug gun, deer dropped, kicked around, then got up and took off running, bumping into trees. I was to stunned to take a second shot. I found broken horn where I had shot him. It knocks them senseless for a few minutes.

Comment

Deer are tough animals and unless you take out vitals or get lucky and at least hit an artery they will be running around next year. I shot a scrub buck 2yrs ago and found a slug in the front elbow that passed clean through from the other side mid shoulder, the slug mushroomed perfectly but somehow missed the heart and lungs. This deer was lucky until I shot him. I have also shot a doe with a ML that dropped her where she stood I thought she was dead minutes later she was kicking and such I reloaded and by the time I was done she had crawled under a bush to where I couldn't put a second shot, so I waited for 45mins. and got down went to where she was last laying and found virtually nothing except a few specs of blood, to this day I still don't understand and I assume your in the same boat now.

Comment

Did you find any blood? What bullet and powder combo are you shooting? Sounds like no vitals were hit. Deer have a strong will to live, I shot a doe with my in line this year at around 60yds and when I gutted her out the top 1/4 of the heart was gone and she still ran 75 yds.

Comment

He has since been caught on camera with a doe in tow. I was using 50 cal. sabot bullet and 100 gram triple seven pellets. There was no blood.

Comment

i shoot a deer to day with a in line founf fer but no blood track were it ran and it was stand in the wood than ran off it was like 70 yards i shoot

Comment

Welcome!

Collapse

Welcome to Outdoor Life's Answers section. Here you will find hunting, fishing, and survival tips from the editors of Outdoor Life, as well as recommendations from readers like yourself.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ for information on posting and navigating the forums.

And don't forget to check out the latest reviews on guns and outdoor gear on outdoorlife.com.

Right Rail 1 Ad

Collapse

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.

Right Rail 2 Ad

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

• Son of a Fitch; goin' mobile
                    by fitch270
                    Kid got his drivers license today, only points off were for not actually turning to look behind him when he pulled out from parallel parking. I told him...
                    Today, 08:27 PM
                  • Unusual Sound
                    by jhjimbo
                    At camp in S. Ohio I was almost asleep and I heard the strangest howl-screech, bark that I have ever heard. Raised the hair on my neck. About 30min later...
                    Today, 02:17 PM
                  • bedding on new rifle
                    by Amflyer
                    Finally painted some release and on the action and blocked the undercuts with clay. Was out of the commercial release, a vinyl paint on solution by Brownells,...
                    Today, 12:22 AM
                  • Pictures blocked when logged out?
                    by fitch270
                    Can't quite figure this one out since it doesn't happen on F&S, if I'm not logged in posted pictures aren't showing up. Doubt its just me.
                    Yesterday, 08:57 PM
                  • Son of a Fitch: turkey taxidermy
                    by fitch270

The kid put this together with his solo bird from this spring. He split a slice of maple for the mounting board, dried the...
                    09-23-2020, 07:43 PM

Right Rail 3 Ad

Collapse

Footer Ad Widget

Collapse
                  Working...
                  X