Top Ad Widget

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

i chew tobacco, if i am chewing in the woods will the deer smell my dip spit?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• i chew tobacco, if i am chewing in the woods will the deer smell my dip spit?

i chew tobacco, if i am chewing in the woods will the deer smell my dip spit?

I usually don't trek very far,
    when all around me black bears are.

Hi...

I think that deer will smell YOU no matter what you're chewing.

Comment

They would be able to smell it. Dont know if they would think danger or human from the smell. I would be more concerned with the noise or movement you will make by spitting.

Comment

Bob Hansen, your rhyme is sublime, but why use it everytime? Lol, just a little welcome humor. Good to have you answering questions.

Comment

I know a few people who smoke while they hunt and don't have any problems.

Comment

Deer smell EVERYTHING when the wind is right. Don't know how much your patooee would bother them.

Comment

Got this from an article in American Hunter. In the woods a person smokin can be smelled from about a mile away with the right wind, and your dip spit can be smelled from a quarter mile away with the right wind.

Comment

They will absolutely smell it if the wind is right. I don't know if it would spook the deer or not but just like smoking, why risk it.

Comment

I've chewed in the deer stand before and seen plenty deer. They smell if for sure but the deer seemed almost intrugued or curious about what it was. In general with my experience they were more curious than they were spooked.

Comment

the noise is what will spook them though i'd advise bringing a water bottle or spit on the tree so it doesn't hit the ground and splatter

Comment

the noise is what will spook them though i'd advise bringing a water bottle or spit on the tree so it doesn't hit the ground and splatter

Comment

I have some old Boys that Chew and smoke but in the woods thay Chew on {Twizzlers Strawberry} no spiten and that sweet small bring in deer and some times bears!

Comment

I have never noticed a problem with the smell of chew spooking deer, but it's hard to say, it could be the smell of my feet that scare them.

Comment

Hi...Mesarich...

That's my one-size-fits-all heading. I do frequently change it to suit the circumstances.

It's also my "indicator" as to the type of area in which I reside (Catskill Mountains) AKA bear country.

Will try to do better in the future. Thank you for your concern.

BOB

"Any ship can be a minesweeper....once." - Anon.

Comment

Mesarich...

You've got a pretty good sense of humor, too...!!

BOB

Comment

Welcome!

Collapse

Welcome to Outdoor Life's Answers section. Here you will find hunting, fishing, and survival tips from the editors of Outdoor Life, as well as recommendations from readers like yourself.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ for information on posting and navigating the forums.

And don't forget to check out the latest reviews on guns and outdoor gear on outdoorlife.com.

Right Rail 1 Ad

Collapse

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.

Right Rail 2 Ad

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

Right Rail 3 Ad

Collapse

Footer Ad Widget