Top Ad Widget

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

I posted this question in the message boards in the general area and I figured I'd throw it out here to a broader audience. Is

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I posted this question in the message boards in the general area and I figured I'd throw it out here to a broader audience. Is

I posted this question in the message boards in the general area and I figured I'd throw it out here to a broader audience. Is there any generic deer call that could be used as curiosity call that will get them to come in for a closer look? I believe I have heard or read that it's "dangerous" and/or incorrect to utilize certain calls for whitetail deer without researching what the rut activity is like in your area. Without knowing that information first hand, is there another call that could be used?

I sometimes use a fawn distress, however I do get coyotes to come in every once and awhile. Saw this new call that looks like teeth that is suppose to sound like deer feeding on nuts, have not tried it.

Comment

Well, it may not make a big buck come in (outside of the rut anyway), but the plain old doe grunt will never scare deer, and very often makes them curious enough to respond. A doe bleat is another one that should never spook deer, and may work better on bucks. Hope this helps.

Comment

Thanks, guys!

Comment

Your question got me thinking , in the last 20+ years I have spent hunting, multiple times I have seen Deer, both bucks and does following meowing stray cats closely through the woods( probably over a dozen times, yes we have a large stray cat population here in Ohio). Does the meowing sound like a fawn? Anybody else seen this? I may have just blown my chance at inventing a new deer call,but I geuss it's product research, ha ha.

Comment

believe it or not but I have used a turkey call a couple times to get deer in. I was fall turkey hunting once with a bow and a couple deer came running through. I gave a couple yelps and they turned around and came back in. Also a guy who runs a check station here in NJ told me he and his buddies hang pieces of tin foil from their tree stands. It dangles and the wind blows it and the flashing light gets curious deer to come and investigate.

Comment

thats bull. you just have to know what the call does and which certain one you do. peter fuddica has a vid on using all four calls and each sub call for them. "tactics for talking to deer". u have to buy it off Amazon.com i think.

Comment

Stray cat call...? Hmm... I think you're onto something. Either that, or you're ON something. heh heh... totally joking, man.

In all seriousness, I'm guessing the cat meowing does probably have a certain likeness to that of a fawn. Or at the very least, there's some resemblance. Maybe in the tonal quality? Not sure.

Comment

Yeah I know , crazy idea, just wondered if anyone else had seen it. If you hear of some crazy guy in the woods making cat calls you'll know I'm desperate to see deer.
                  I must have made someone mad on one of the comments, somebody went through and dropped all my comments by a point. Must have been clothing related?

Comment

Welcome!

Collapse

Welcome to Outdoor Life's Answers section. Here you will find hunting, fishing, and survival tips from the editors of Outdoor Life, as well as recommendations from readers like yourself.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ for information on posting and navigating the forums.

And don't forget to check out the latest reviews on guns and outdoor gear on outdoorlife.com.

Right Rail 1 Ad

Collapse

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.

Right Rail 2 Ad

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

• Home Defense
                    by jhjimbo
                    If you are using your bird gun for double duty of house defense remember to remove the plug. Might as well have full magazine capacity. Also, I have...
                    Today, 02:15 PM
                  • Pay it forward
                    by fitch270
                    I'm not sure how much interest this will generate but I figured I'd give it a shot and see how it goes. As a way of saying thanks for the help and entertainment...
                    10-18-2020, 01:34 PM
                  • Reloading Gear Order
                    by fitch270
                    I have a bunch of stuff in a cart at Midway and wanted to check with you guys before I place the order. A few things on the cheap side I want to make...
                    10-17-2020, 08:31 AM
                  • Ruger Oops! Round 2
                    by dewman
                    Asked girls if they want it. (Mk4 Hunter) No. We want another rifle so we aren't sharing the one single shot. Some phone calls and a pal & me meet...
                    10-16-2020, 03:20 PM
                  • Who hunts big game with a handgun?
                    by Ernie
                    Any handgun hunters here?
                    Describe your hunting handguns (With Pics!) whether they be revolvers, semi-autos or single-shot specialty pistols.
                    10-16-2020, 02:01 PM

Right Rail 3 Ad

Collapse

Footer Ad Widget

Collapse
                  Working...
                  X