Top Ad Widget

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Every year it seems like I am left with a half a bottle of does estrus and buck scent. What is the shelf life of these products?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Every year it seems like I am left with a half a bottle of does estrus and buck scent. What is the shelf life of these products?

Every year it seems like I am left with a half a bottle of does estrus and buck scent. What is the shelf life of these products? Does it hurt to use them for more than one year or should they be disposed of and new ones purchased each year?

They usually expire. I've heard of people keeping them in fridge/freezing them in an attempt to keep it fresh. Try that and smell it when deer season comes along, if smells the same use it if not trash it.

Comment

JM1993 is right, try keeping them cool and sealed. Heat and light are the 2 major factors that degrade them( that's why most are in brown glass bottles, to keep light out).I have found that keeping them in the fridge for a year is almost impossible. Wife and kids really don't appreciate it. What I did was buy a plastic ammo box with a sealed lid for my scents. Found a good place behind the garage and dug a 3 foot deep hole to bury it in. Temps stay cool all year long and sunlight is not an issue.

Comment

23, wouldnt it be easier to just buy new every year? Cannot speak for the scents, as I do not use them, however my wife has had perfume for years that still smells the same.

Comment

It's kinda like the hot dog concept. You get 10 hot dogs per pack. You get 8 hot dog buns per pack. They got you over a barrel.

Unfortunately, the label isn't ever going to read: "You're not going to use anywhere near this much this year. But guess what? We're going to make you throw it away in a few months and buy a brand new bottle next season! You know why? 'cuz we got new trucks we gots 'ta pay off! Yee hawww!"

Comment

mesarich
            2 points for you, it would be easier, but I am into saving dollars where every I can, 5 bucks for the ammo box, 10 minutes to dig a hole once,put a peice of plastic ontop before dirt,just pull it up when i need it. got tired of paying 40 bucks for buck scent,doe pee and mock scrape just to throw away 3/4 of it. And your right, my wife has an expensive bottle of perfume I bought her 15 years ago that still smells the same.

Comment

23, had no idea the scents cost so much. Think I would do whatever it takes to save them also instead of forking over the money each year.

Comment

all ladies don't smell the same/I JUST mix old with the new and refill my bottles draining their bladder over the hock glands ,

Comment

Welcome!

Collapse

Welcome to Outdoor Life's Answers section. Here you will find hunting, fishing, and survival tips from the editors of Outdoor Life, as well as recommendations from readers like yourself.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ for information on posting and navigating the forums.

And don't forget to check out the latest reviews on guns and outdoor gear on outdoorlife.com.

Right Rail 1 Ad

Collapse

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.

Right Rail 2 Ad

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

• Home Defense
                  by jhjimbo
                  If you are using your bird gun for double duty of house defense remember to remove the plug. Might as well have full magazine capacity. Also, I have...
                  Today, 02:15 PM
                • Pay it forward
                  by fitch270
                  I'm not sure how much interest this will generate but I figured I'd give it a shot and see how it goes. As a way of saying thanks for the help and entertainment...
                  10-18-2020, 01:34 PM
                • Reloading Gear Order
                  by fitch270
                  I have a bunch of stuff in a cart at Midway and wanted to check with you guys before I place the order. A few things on the cheap side I want to make...
                  10-17-2020, 08:31 AM
                • Ruger Oops! Round 2
                  by dewman
                  Asked girls if they want it. (Mk4 Hunter) No. We want another rifle so we aren't sharing the one single shot. Some phone calls and a pal & me meet...
                  10-16-2020, 03:20 PM
                • Who hunts big game with a handgun?
                  by Ernie
                  Any handgun hunters here?
                  Describe your hunting handguns (With Pics!) whether they be revolvers, semi-autos or single-shot specialty pistols.
                  10-16-2020, 02:01 PM

Right Rail 3 Ad

Collapse

Footer Ad Widget

Collapse
                Working...
                X