Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• what do you recamend for a 10 year old for water fowl 12 gauge or 20 gauge

what do you recamend for a 10 year old for water fowl 12 gauge or 20 gauge

I would start with a 20 gauge. It doesn't kick nearly as much and he'll be far less likely to develop a flinch, or worse, complete fear of shooting. It kind of makes a difference how big he is but a 20 is much easier on any shooter than a 12. I can go through 2 boxes of shells and move the next day with a 20, With a 12, after one box, I know I will pay the next day. Hate getting old, though getting old is better than the alternative .

Comment

I would agree with Bo, go with the 20 ga. I take a friends son that is 12 and he shoots a 20. I've let him shoot my 12 with 3 in and he doesn't like it, too much kick. And you can get 20's in 3 inch which will give you about the same payload as a 12 with 2 3/4.

Bo, getting old just proves that we have lived life.

Comment

a 20 gauge recoil isnt much diffrent then a 12 gauge he should be able to handle but make sure to use the light loads just in case cause then he can grow into a heavier recoil.

Comment

When I was ten I did a lot of clay pigeon shooting with a 20 gauge. I could shoot a box of shells without any problems. Also I have hunted with a friend who had no problem taking geese down with a 20 gauge. Also I believe their is a significant amount of difference between a 20 and 12 gauge. Especially for a 10 year old. Not saying he could not handle a 12. Best thing for him to do is shoot some clay pigeons or targets with both guns. Then let him decide what he is the most comfortable with.

Comment

nate 's responce seems to cover the bases 20ga, if the 12 is to much it can be dissapointing to a kid to not have the range that others around him have w/ the 12 ga, advantage

Comment

HE BLONDY TOUGHIN' UP AND GET A 12 GAUGE!!!

Ha Ha! JUST GET A 20 FOR NOW JOELY

Comment

This is a question folks have been asking for a very long time and is interesting to read the answers. In my opinion there are a lot of variables to take into consideration before making a decision. A lot of peoples knee jerk answer is to say buy the kid a 20 gauge pump, they are inexpensive and don’t kick too much. Maybe yes, maybe no. There are other things that make a gun kick besides just the gauge. First is weight of the gun, second is the loads being used. 20 gauge guns may be built on a lighter frame making it a lighter gun, lighter guns kick more than heavy ones as the weight absorbs some of the recoil. 12 gauge guns may actually produce less felt recoil because of this extra weight. Loads play an important part in the recoil equation as well. A 12 gauge with a 7/8 ounce target load will produce less felt recoil than one with a 1 ounce target load, as the weight of the lighter load does not push back as hard. What I’m driving at here is a moderate 12 gauge load may well have less felt recoil that a moderate 20 gauge load. Gas up the 20 gauge load a little bit and you may have a lot more felt recoil. There are more things to consider here than I have space to write but the size of the shooter makes a difference as well. A gun with too much length of pull will cause the shooter to not have the gun “in the pocket” and cause great discomfort. Lastly, pumps rarely make good choices for young shooters. They are often started off with them because they are less expensive than autoloaders but take a good look at the forearm and you will notice it is farther forward than that of an autoloader. It needs to be to be able to move back during recycling. That extended reach is sometimes very uncomfortable for a smaller framed shooter, again causing the gun to come out of the pocket. With all that in mind I would very much recommend considering a youth size 12 gauge gas operated autoloader for your young shooter.

Comment

go with the 20 gauge for now but if hes a scrawny little feller then it might be best to just go with a 410

Comment

I agree with everyone who said to go with a 20 ga. I started on a 20 ga. single shot and it worked great. You have to remember, 10 is still pretty young afterall. If you go with a 20, he can always move up. If you start with a mule kick relative to a 10-year-olds frame/musculature and he becomes fearful of the kick, you're never going to get him to shoot anything again. Good luck! I'd say the most important thing is to get them - and KEEP them - hunting.

Comment

Welcome!

Collapse

Welcome to Outdoor Life's Answers section. Here you will find hunting, fishing, and survival tips from the editors of Outdoor Life, as well as recommendations from readers like yourself.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ for information on posting and navigating the forums.

And don't forget to check out the latest reviews on guns and outdoor gear on outdoorlife.com.

Right Rail 1 Ad

Collapse

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.

Right Rail 2 Ad

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

• Home Defense
                      by jhjimbo
                      If you are using your bird gun for double duty of house defense remember to remove the plug. Might as well have full magazine capacity. Also, I have...
                      Yesterday, 02:15 PM
                    • Pay it forward
                      by fitch270
                      I'm not sure how much interest this will generate but I figured I'd give it a shot and see how it goes. As a way of saying thanks for the help and entertainment...
                      10-18-2020, 01:34 PM
                    • Reloading Gear Order
                      by fitch270
                      I have a bunch of stuff in a cart at Midway and wanted to check with you guys before I place the order. A few things on the cheap side I want to make...
                      10-17-2020, 08:31 AM
                    • Ruger Oops! Round 2
                      by dewman
                      Asked girls if they want it. (Mk4 Hunter) No. We want another rifle so we aren't sharing the one single shot. Some phone calls and a pal & me meet...
                      10-16-2020, 03:20 PM
                    • Who hunts big game with a handgun?
                      by Ernie
                      Any handgun hunters here?
                      Describe your hunting handguns (With Pics!) whether they be revolvers, semi-autos or single-shot specialty pistols.
                      10-16-2020, 02:01 PM

Right Rail 3 Ad

Collapse

Footer Ad Widget

Collapse
                    Working...
                    X