Top Ad Widget

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Do you all think antler restrictions are working as planned? It's been 10 years in many areas, have any of you seen a change?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Pathfinder1
    replied
    I usually don't trek very far,
    when all around me black bears are.

Hi...

Here in the Lower Catskill Mountains of NY State it appears to be working...bigger (more mature) bucks being taken.

Department of Invironmental Conservation also concurs.

Leave a comment:

• 6phunter
    replied
    of course it has to help the size of antlers as more bucks grow another year or two,it may take a few years for the genetics of a herd to change as older bucks will breed mor e doe,

Leave a comment:

• JM1993
    replied
    Thanks for comment Yoda. I think the problem is that too many people supporting the antler restrictions are only doing it so that they can kill bigger antlered deer. Personally I would rather shoot a big mature buck with dinky little antlers than a little 2 year old 8 point.

Leave a comment:

• Derik Lee
    replied
    It is an interesting question to ask. In Maine we don't have antler restrictions and there are certainly people that think we should. I'm not sold on it yet, there are plenty of good sized deer that get shot and many smaller deer. For me to be swayed I'd need to see the data from a state with antler restrictions that has similar conditions and problems with Maine before I made a decision my self.

Leave a comment:

• JM1993
    replied
    Thanks for comments fritz, I live in Missouri too, I just think our county in specific(macon) needs more time to mature. That and our county is top 5 mostr deer killed year afteryear in missouri.

Leave a comment:

• Fritz Dreyer
    replied
    The restrictions here in Missouri are Great. Keeps some of those future Monsters in the woods another year and it has been phenominal with our deer here. I usually pass small bucks anyway but now everbody has to. this year unlike past years I have gotten 7 huge bucks on Trail Cam. No food plots just crops and woods. only 1 trail Cam. Thank you Missouri Dept. of Conservation.

Leave a comment:

• JM1993
    replied
    I'll answer my own question I suppose. Last year during gun season I saw three mature bucks that werent legal due to having only 3 points max. on each side. The past three years I have ended up putting a tag on a less mature, smaller bodied buck than the non-legal ones I had seen earlier on. Personally I do not see a change compared to the years before the antler restriction.

Leave a comment:

• Do you all think antler restrictions are working as planned? It's been 10 years in many areas, have any of you seen a change?

Do you all think antler restrictions are working as planned? It's been 10 years in many areas, have any of you seen a change?

Welcome!

Collapse

Welcome to Outdoor Life's Answers section. Here you will find hunting, fishing, and survival tips from the editors of Outdoor Life, as well as recommendations from readers like yourself.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ for information on posting and navigating the forums.

And don't forget to check out the latest reviews on guns and outdoor gear on outdoorlife.com.

Right Rail 1 Ad

Collapse

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.

Right Rail 2 Ad

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

• Christmas present "trade"?
    by dewman
    You fellas remember I posted pics a ways back where I redid my 511-x .22? Well my son called me soon after and asked me to put it up and not shoot it...
    12-01-2021, 02:48 PM
  • Finally filled that elk tag!
    by Ernie
    Sometimes what you think is going to be a relatively easy and quick hunt, turns into a longer process. This has been the case, to fill my cow/calf elk...
    11-30-2021, 01:05 PM
  • Leupold screwed me
    by dewman
    had a little time yesterday afternoon so thought I would take a moment to get my recently "repaired" Leupold vx2 lined out. As it turns out,...
    11-29-2021, 09:57 AM
  • The TGIF Buck
    by fitch270
    First off, a shout out to FB for hanging out with me this afternoon from over 1000 miles away. I’m still a bit dumbfounded about what went down....
    11-26-2021, 11:49 PM
  • Have you tried a "shemagh"?
    by FirstBubba
    I put this on F&S also to give everybody a heads up.

"... The shemagh, also known as the keffiyeh or Arab scarf, is a simple yet...
    11-25-2021, 12:06 PM

Right Rail 3 Ad

Collapse

Footer Ad Widget

Collapse
Working...
X