Top Ad Widget

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Do you all think antler restrictions are working as planned? It's been 10 years in many areas, have any of you seen a change?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Do you all think antler restrictions are working as planned? It's been 10 years in many areas, have any of you seen a change?

Do you all think antler restrictions are working as planned? It's been 10 years in many areas, have any of you seen a change?

I'll answer my own question I suppose. Last year during gun season I saw three mature bucks that werent legal due to having only 3 points max. on each side. The past three years I have ended up putting a tag on a less mature, smaller bodied buck than the non-legal ones I had seen earlier on. Personally I do not see a change compared to the years before the antler restriction.

Comment

The restrictions here in Missouri are Great. Keeps some of those future Monsters in the woods another year and it has been phenominal with our deer here. I usually pass small bucks anyway but now everbody has to. this year unlike past years I have gotten 7 huge bucks on Trail Cam. No food plots just crops and woods. only 1 trail Cam. Thank you Missouri Dept. of Conservation.

Comment

Thanks for comments fritz, I live in Missouri too, I just think our county in specific(macon) needs more time to mature. That and our county is top 5 mostr deer killed year afteryear in missouri.

Comment

It is an interesting question to ask. In Maine we don't have antler restrictions and there are certainly people that think we should. I'm not sold on it yet, there are plenty of good sized deer that get shot and many smaller deer. For me to be swayed I'd need to see the data from a state with antler restrictions that has similar conditions and problems with Maine before I made a decision my self.

Comment

Thanks for comment Yoda. I think the problem is that too many people supporting the antler restrictions are only doing it so that they can kill bigger antlered deer. Personally I would rather shoot a big mature buck with dinky little antlers than a little 2 year old 8 point.

Comment

of course it has to help the size of antlers as more bucks grow another year or two,it may take a few years for the genetics of a herd to change as older bucks will breed mor e doe,

Comment

I usually don't trek very far,
                when all around me black bears are.

Hi...

Here in the Lower Catskill Mountains of NY State it appears to be working...bigger (more mature) bucks being taken.

Department of Invironmental Conservation also concurs.

Comment

Welcome!

Collapse

Welcome to Outdoor Life's Answers section. Here you will find hunting, fishing, and survival tips from the editors of Outdoor Life, as well as recommendations from readers like yourself.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ for information on posting and navigating the forums.

And don't forget to check out the latest reviews on guns and outdoor gear on outdoorlife.com.

Right Rail 1 Ad

Collapse

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.

Right Rail 2 Ad

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

• Remington news
                  by fitch270
                  Just caught this on another forum, wanted to pass it along and get thoughts from anyone interested. Hopefully something good will come out of it.
                  Yesterday, 05:55 PM
                • Grips and stocks
                  by dewman
                  so I was shooting the 357 I received from my father yesterday afternoon. The magnas that came on it gave me a good grip but were small enough to make...
                  Yesterday, 08:55 AM
                • Youth pheasant hike
                  by fitch270
                  Just the girl and the younger dog today. Ok, so we went hunting but she didn't pop a primer.

Started out with a guilt trip, I let the dogs...
                  09-26-2020, 08:41 PM
                • Son of a Fitch; goin' mobile
                  by fitch270
                  Kid got his drivers license today, only points off were for not actually turning to look behind him when he pulled out from parallel parking. I told him...
                  09-25-2020, 08:27 PM
                • Unusual Sound
                  by jhjimbo
                  At camp in S. Ohio I was almost asleep and I heard the strangest howl-screech, bark that I have ever heard. Raised the hair on my neck. About 30min later...
                  09-25-2020, 02:17 PM

Right Rail 3 Ad

Collapse

Footer Ad Widget

Collapse
                Working...
                X