Top Ad Widget

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Why is it that today most hunters are all about hunting the big bucks and not does. Or just for the meat for that matter? The ot

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Why is it that today most hunters are all about hunting the big bucks and not does. Or just for the meat for that matter? The ot

Why is it that today most hunters are all about hunting the big bucks and not does. Or just for the meat for that matter? The other question is, why arent we conserving the original ways of what hunting was intended for?

I don't think the average Joe is hunting big bucks only. What you see on TV and in other media is slanted that way. I'm a meat hunter first and foremost and everyone I know is too. I would guess most of the commenters here will say the same thing.

Comment

I'm in the I like meat in the freezer, but a nice buck does ice the cake camp. Of the 3 questions above, the "just for the meat" question doesn't seem to be consistent. Isn't the meat exactly the original purpose of hunting? I'm willing to bet early man was tickled pink when he got to tangle with a doe as she was a lot less likely to impale him on sharpened bone. I agree with DSM. With all media, a nice rack sells. Doesn't mean that's are number one consideration in what be bring home.

Comment

+1 for me, too.

I'd rather have meat in the freezer than a bunch of antlers on the wall. If I could do both with the same deer, that would be a bonus.

I think a lot of it stems from what we teach our children and new hunters going through hunter's safety. The next you're in your local outdoors store, take a walk by the magazine rack this time of year. Everywhere you look, there's a 200+ point B&C record whitetail deer. Antlers and antlers and antlers. If this your focus when you're heading off into the woods on opening day, I don't think there's anything wrong with that to a certain extent. I just think you might be hunting for the wrong reasons.

My two cents.

Comment

For starters, I have not shot anything more days than I have and I keep hunting. More than anything it is about the experience. Hunting should help you relax, strengthen relationships with those you hunt with, sharpen dulled senses and help bring you closer to god (or whoever you want to give the credit to). I don’t need to bring meat home to keep my family from starving, but the meat does help, and I really enjoy it. Like others have stated a nice rack is just the icing on the cake. Success isn’t measured by inches.

Comment

I personally hunt for meat with antler being a bonus if the chance comes around. I will not shoot a small doe or a small bodied buck for that matter just because of how much meat would end up in my belly. I am sure we all listen to our guts when it starts getting around lunch time, it says grumble we say burger and a beer [root beer for me :-)]. You cant eat antler so why consentrate on something that will cost an obscene amount of cash to hang on your wall?
            Smitty18

Comment

I think most hunters talk about big bucks more than they hold out for. It would be nice to get it all in the same package the meat and the big rack every time we hunt, but then it would not be hunting. I put meat in the freezer first but I will shoot a small buck that is legal. Thats me. Hunting should be time to get close to nature and anything else you need to, alot of people turn it into a bragging board, Thats sad.

Comment

I hunt for both meat and antlers. I'll happily shoot a fat doe or two and if a nice buck steps out I'm even happier. A good buck has more meat than a doe and there is a better chance that the rack will end up on the tractor shed that inside. I do not fanatically pursue big bone---this hunting thing is supposed to be enjoyable, not some task akin to the search for the holy grail.

Comment

I do enjoy the meat. I enjoy shooting big bucks. I enjoy using primitive weapons. I also enjoy the many days I shoot nothing. This should clear everything up.

Comment

I hunt for meat. If I wont eat it, I will not shoot it. When I was younger the big buck meant something to me. Now it has been years since I have taken a buck, because I would rather have a tender doe. Still I think almost all hunters would not be hunting if not for the meat.

Comment

I hunt for meat. When I have a chance to shoot a doe I will. I dont anybody who eats the horns.

Comment

maybe I should have clearified my question a little bit. What I really meant was when you are at home in the off season watching the guys on tv. In almost all cases of those shows you will see them taking huge huge bucks. Very seldom do you see them take a doe on tv. Do they assume it is degrading? To the people that replied, I fully understand that you do hunt for meat, and the antlers are an added bonus. I was refuring to the people on tv rather than folks like us.

Comment

I also have to ask everyone. Do you believe that hunting behind a fence is considered fair chase? or canned hunting. My honest opinion is anything behind a high fence is canned hunting. Wether it be an animal that has never come in contact with people or not. Even if there is a considerable amount of acerage for them to run. One "guide" on that property could and most likely get to know the land better than the hunting customer. Therefore knowing where the animal might be holding up and take you right to them. Fair chase to me is hunting your own small parcel (I hunt 10 acres surrounded by neighbors) or unfenced public land. That to me is fair chase.

Comment

TO ANSWER THE FIRST QUESTION,you gotta go back 30 years or so when doe deer where protected and no antler restrictions on bucks.Now that deer are fairly common everywhere,and due to hunter education along with antler restrictions becoming common along with added doe tags most veteran hunters are more selective than in past years.The answer to your 2nd question is hunters have become better informed on how to hunt.new tools such as calls, scents,better weapons the list goes on along with a bilion dollar industry.Baiting and food plots are now considered a part of hunting that speeds up our hunting time in a faster paced world.Although I consider myself a head hunter a fat doe late in the season close to the truck sometimes doesn;t get a free pass,I like to eat too.

Comment

Welcome!

Collapse

Welcome to Outdoor Life's Answers section. Here you will find hunting, fishing, and survival tips from the editors of Outdoor Life, as well as recommendations from readers like yourself.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ for information on posting and navigating the forums.

And don't forget to check out the latest reviews on guns and outdoor gear on outdoorlife.com.

Right Rail 1 Ad

Collapse

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.

Right Rail 2 Ad

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

• Remington news
                              by fitch270
                              Just caught this on another forum, wanted to pass it along and get thoughts from anyone interested. Hopefully something good will come out of it.
                              09-27-2020, 05:55 PM
                            • Grips and stocks
                              by dewman
                              so I was shooting the 357 I received from my father yesterday afternoon. The magnas that came on it gave me a good grip but were small enough to make...
                              09-27-2020, 08:55 AM
                            • Youth pheasant hike
                              by fitch270
                              Just the girl and the younger dog today. Ok, so we went hunting but she didn't pop a primer.

Started out with a guilt trip, I let the dogs...
                              09-26-2020, 08:41 PM
                            • Son of a Fitch; goin' mobile
                              by fitch270
                              Kid got his drivers license today, only points off were for not actually turning to look behind him when he pulled out from parallel parking. I told him...
                              09-25-2020, 08:27 PM
                            • Unusual Sound
                              by jhjimbo
                              At camp in S. Ohio I was almost asleep and I heard the strangest howl-screech, bark that I have ever heard. Raised the hair on my neck. About 30min later...
                              09-25-2020, 02:17 PM

Right Rail 3 Ad

Collapse

Footer Ad Widget

Collapse
                            Working...
                            X