Top Ad Widget

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

After using a range finder, establishing the distance for the shot,taking the shot and watching your deer disappears into the tr

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• After using a range finder, establishing the distance for the shot,taking the shot and watching your deer disappears into the tr

After using a range finder, establishing the distance for the shot,taking the shot and watching your deer disappears into the tree line, it is sometimes difficult to figure out where to enter the woods and begin your search. I have often thought that it would be a good idea to mark your spot with an orange rag,cloth,florescent tape or marker and reverse the use of the range finder for distance to establish the point of entry to start your search? I find it sometimes difficult to judge the exact point of entry. It is sometimes hard to remember your starting point in all the excitement. It is like trying to find a golf ball of the course after you have made the shot.

Testing to see if I can post an answer yet.

Comment

Anything you can do to help find wounded game is a plus. It is amazing how the woods can change when you get down from your tree stand or out of your blind and start trying to find where your deer was when you saw it last. I try to memorize a tree or bush and go to that and if I can't find blood, start zig-zagging my way back toward my stand or where the deer was when I shot. Your idea about flagging tape and range finder is a good one.

Comment

Once you've made the shot and determined you did, indeed, hit the animal - make a mental note immediately. I say "immediately" and realize this basically happens in a matter of seconds. Once the deer runs out of the clearing (whatever that may be) and makes a break for the woods, make a mental note.

In light of all the excitement, it'll make your job a lot easier if you can watch the deer the entire way. From the moment it's hit to the moment it breaks for the treeline. Hopefully, if you've made a good enough mental note to where the deer is completely out of sight - you will, by that point in time, be able to pick up the blood trail. This usually works out to be the case for most.

I think you've got a good idea with the range finder and backtracking, but I really don't know if it's completely necessary. Unless you're completely oblivious to where the deer was when you shot it, I doubt the range finger method would be all the more helpful. Although, in really bad back country areas that are thick, dense and overrun... I can see where this would make the start of the search much easier.

Best of luck to you this season!

Comment

shoot to kill/drop

Comment

Welcome!

Collapse

Welcome to Outdoor Life's Answers section. Here you will find hunting, fishing, and survival tips from the editors of Outdoor Life, as well as recommendations from readers like yourself.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ for information on posting and navigating the forums.

And don't forget to check out the latest reviews on guns and outdoor gear on outdoorlife.com.

Right Rail 1 Ad

Collapse

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.

Right Rail 2 Ad

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

• Colorado surprise. Couple of dads guns.
            by dewman
            So even with all the wrangling being done to screw we 4 sons of my father I got a little lucky. Even though my stepmom is still alive and her 3 sons from...
            Today, 10:12 PM
          • Now That's Service
            by jhjimbo
            Had my local Jeep dealer mount two tires and rotate some. When they did that they also spray painted my rims to cover up some brake dust stains I could...
            Today, 07:57 PM
          • Lost some cover; pic heavy
            by fitch270
            ​ ​ ​ Long story shorter, my Aunt’s 70’ish year old spring line plugged up last Friday, a combination of old iron pipe and poly. The only way to...
            Yesterday, 06:07 PM
          • Covid-19
            by jhjimbo
            Any indication a game animal can get the virus ? The news had a case of a dog in I think NC that got the virus.

Tucker Carlson had a guest...
            09-17-2020, 10:38 PM
          • Spur of the moment rifle
            by Amflyer
            I stopped in the local Scheels the other day so see about getting some IMR 4831. As a slow-ish old school powder I thought that the current buying craze...
            09-17-2020, 11:25 AM

Right Rail 3 Ad

Collapse

Footer Ad Widget

Collapse
          Working...
          X