Top Ad Widget

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

how large was your first deer and how did you get it?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• how large was your first deer and how did you get it?

how large was your first deer and how did you get it?

A spike, hunting from a treestand near st augustine Fl. shot him left handed because a dog nearly bit off my right hand two hours earlier. shot him at 40 yards with number 1 buck in a mossberg maverick. hit him with all 16 pellets

Comment

6x5 black tail.30-06 rem. I think.60ish yards.Pretty nice buck.

Comment

My first deer was a six point whitetail buck and I shot it in the afternoon on opening day of deer season. I shot it through the heart at around 80 yards with my Savage 110 in .270 Winchester using my handloaded ammo - 150 grain Nosler Ballistic Tip. I'm not sure on the deer's weight, but I would quess 120+ pounds. I got the head mounted and it hangs on the livingroom wall.

Comment

First deer was a button buck, mind you my family hunts for meat. Droped him at 75 yards with 1 shot to an artery.

Comment

Bigbassboy1..... The main reason I hunt is for meat too. The six point antlers were just a bonus.

Comment

My first was over 53 years ago. It was a seven point 2.5 yr. old buck, about 120 pounds killed on a big drive with #3 buckshot from a 20 ga. I was on a stand with my dad and will never, ever forget it.

Comment

A doe I will guess around 100 LBS with a 270 and 130 gr remington core locks around 75yds. 20 yrs ago.

Comment

Real big NW PA doe. shot in the neck at 12 yards with .308 Remington corelokts 150 gr. PSP. Hard to believe that was three years ago already! My quest for deer number 8 starts Saturday, really want to get another with the bow

Comment

My first one was a nice doe, maybe 130-140 pounds, I shot her with a 20 gauge and slugs during my first year of hunting (Iowa youth season). The shot was about 15 yards, and I hit her perfect - broke a shoulder and took off a chunk of the heart, as a matter a fact - but she still ran over 100 yards, never have been able to figure out how she went that far with that kind of hit.

Comment

I was a stander behind an old stone wall in a brushy field. The drivers who were walking toward us were now visible, and had not scared/driven any deer out in front of them.

Suddenly I saw a buck quartering towards me as nonchalantly as could be, from BEHIND the drivers!

I tried to signal some of the drivers who were much closer to the deer, but couldn't get their attention without alerting the buck, which must have been a few hundred yards away from me.

So, I had to take the shot myself, and the buck imm-ediately dropped. Were the drivers ever surprised!

It dressed out at 135 pounds.

Comment

Welcome!

Collapse

Welcome to Outdoor Life's Answers section. Here you will find hunting, fishing, and survival tips from the editors of Outdoor Life, as well as recommendations from readers like yourself.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ for information on posting and navigating the forums.

And don't forget to check out the latest reviews on guns and outdoor gear on outdoorlife.com.

Right Rail 1 Ad

Collapse

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.

Right Rail 2 Ad

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

• Covid-19
                        by jhjimbo
                        Any indication a game animal can get the virus ? The news had a case of a dog in I think NC that got the virus.

Tucker Carlson had a guest...
                        09-17-2020, 10:38 PM
                      • Spur of the moment rifle
                        by Amflyer
                        I stopped in the local Scheels the other day so see about getting some IMR 4831. As a slow-ish old school powder I thought that the current buying craze...
                        09-17-2020, 11:25 AM
                      • The $20 Shooting Shack
                        by fitch270
                        So we’ve been doing some outside remodeling and dismantled some decking. The stuff wasn’t good enough to reuse on the house when we redo the decks...
                        09-16-2020, 10:23 PM
                      • When is it equipment vs when it is you?
                        by dewman
                        one of my range only pals stopped by last night. I showed him my new mk4 and he showed me his. He had spent a lot of $ on upgrades. A lot. Showed me some...
                        09-15-2020, 08:42 AM
                      • Dewman goes Teal hunting.
                        by dewman
                        So one of the farmers who doesn't hunt doves does hunt rails & snipe which opened the 1st, and teal which opened yesterday (Saturday). He asked me...
                        09-13-2020, 04:48 PM

Right Rail 3 Ad

Collapse

Footer Ad Widget

Collapse
                      Working...
                      X