Top Ad Widget

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Hey there i was just curious about a couple things. 1: Can you shoot a rifled slug safely through a smooth bore barrel? 2: Is a

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hey there i was just curious about a couple things. 1: Can you shoot a rifled slug safely through a smooth bore barrel? 2: Is a

Hey there i was just curious about a couple things. 1: Can you shoot a rifled slug safely through a smooth bore barrel? 2: Is a modified choke the best to use for a deer slug? If anyone could help it would be greatly appreciated. Semper Fidelis CPL Whitlow USMC

You can shoot a rifled slug through a smooth bore, folks did it for years. Modified or improved cylinder will both work.

Comment

I agree with DSMbirddog, I have been shoooting slugs for years through just a regular old shotgun. Choke makes no difference. However the rifled barrel will shoot better. Good luck, Bowtiesc

Comment

My slug barrel is cylinder bore but you should be fine with IC or modified.

Comment

Am I mistaken in thinking that you should only shoot rifled slugs through a smoothbore, and that a rifled slug barrel requires sabots?

Comment

You can shoot rifled or sabot slugs in either a rifled barrel or smooth bore. IC is best because they do not reshape the slug or sabot on exit. If you must shoot modified choke then use slugs rather than sabots.
            Thanks for your service CPL Whitlow USMC.
            later,
            charlie

Comment

Thank you all so much for your answers I appreciate your time and good luck to all of you in the field. Be safe and God bless.

Semper Fidelis
              CPL Whitlow

Comment

You can and I do every year! I shoot brenneke rifled slugs through a modified cylinder. The range is limited to within 50 yards. I have shot deer out to 100 but I wouldn't recommend it. It was the last day of deer season and I had a doe 100 yards out. Aimed for the heart and hit it through the head. Greatest "miss" of my life! You may want to either put a scope on the gun OR I use Triviz shotgun adjustable sights. They work really well! Good luck!

Comment

i'm thinking a rifled slug should not go through a rifled barrel. in fact, i checked the owners manuel for my mossberg shot gun and it says specifically not to do that. rifled slugs through a smooth bore was always ok as far as i know.

Comment

Only shoot rifled slugs through smooth bore and shoot sabot slugs through rifled barrel. RS are designed specifically for smooth bore because as the name states it is a smooth bore and the RS helps stabalize the slug. Shooting a RS through rifled barrel has many problems 1st if the rifling in the barrel & slug don't match you will 'eventually' ruin your barrel and also the slug will be torn up in the barrel ruining accuracy.

Comment

Bowtiesc, Rifled Slugs are intended to be shot through only smooth bore barrels. THe choke on the other hand varies. different slugs and different barrels react differently to each other. The only way to for sure tell with your gun is to test them out and see what combo You shoot the best.

Comment

Welcome!

Collapse

Welcome to Outdoor Life's Answers section. Here you will find hunting, fishing, and survival tips from the editors of Outdoor Life, as well as recommendations from readers like yourself.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ for information on posting and navigating the forums.

And don't forget to check out the latest reviews on guns and outdoor gear on outdoorlife.com.

Right Rail 1 Ad

Collapse

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.

Right Rail 2 Ad

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

• Dads gun #2 Browning auto5 20ga
                        by dewman
                        Last time it was shot was a pheasant hunt in Colorado in '84. I'll have to remedy that. This gun is feather light. Wish the choke was ic or mod. It's...
                        Yesterday, 08:40 AM
                      • Dads gun #1 S&W 28-2. .357
                        by dewman
                        Got my fathers 28-2 357 to go with my 29-2 44mag. Check out the safari land flap holster. ...
                        Yesterday, 07:59 AM
                      • What is taking so long ?
                        by jhjimbo
                        Can't be that hard for the Administrator to 86 the spammers....
                        09-21-2020, 07:52 PM
                      • Burn cream
                        by CD2
                        Drugstore used to carry a white silver cream.
                        No longer does.
                        Was maybe 10 bucks or so for a little tube.
                        Bargain.

Got...
                        09-21-2020, 05:39 PM
                      • Colorado surprise. Couple of dads guns.
                        by dewman
                        So even with all the wrangling being done to screw we 4 sons of my father I got a little lucky. Even though my stepmom is still alive and her 3 sons from...
                        09-20-2020, 10:12 PM

Right Rail 3 Ad

Collapse

Footer Ad Widget

Collapse
                      Working...
                      X