Top Ad Widget

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

whats the longest trailing job after the shot accomplished by your self or with friends ?with or without snow

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• huntfishtrap
    replied
    Unfortunately all of the longest tracking jobs I've been a part of were unsuccessful. The longest one was a big buck that my brother hit about 3 years ago, we never figured out exactly where he hit it, although it was somewhere in the body cavity. because it looked like a good hit at the time, and there was blood sprayed all over the snow where the arrow was sticking in the ground, but we trailed the thing for 2.5 miles before finally loosing it. He first bedded down about 200 yards from the stand, and thinking it was a good hit we came back the same evening, only to discover three bloody beds and coyote tracks everywhere. After being jumped by the 'yotes he ran, flat out, a full mile, first down a big hill and then right down the middle of a big creek bottom. He was never bleeding profusely, but he was bleeding steadily, just a moderate spatter the whole way. He then slowed to a trot for maybe another half mile before bedding down within 200 yards of a house, in plain sight. He must have stayed there a long time, as there was a good two inches of crimson ice lining the bed. After leaving there, he then walked farther up the creek bottom for a ways before turning and heading back up into the hills, where we finally lost him, but not before finding three more bloody beds about halfway up a hill. We never have been able to figure out how he made it that far.

Leave a comment:

• Smitty18
    replied
    The longest successful track was 118 yards on a gut shot button buck. There was no snow and very little blood but it was my little brothers first deer with the bow. Dad gave up on it but i put off climbing into the stand the next day to keep looking. After 30 yards of crawling through rabbit trails i found it. The farthest unsuccessful track was about a mile. One of our guys hit it a tad forward and missed the vitals. Good news is that he shot it a couple days later. That time he got it in the head with the flintlock.

Leave a comment:

• pjsabella
    replied
    Mine was the same as piney...about a mile that ended in a deerless track. But the good thing was that I saw the doe the following week and it was fine. Hit it right below the spine and right above any vitals.

Leave a comment:

• pineywoods
    replied
    My longest trailing job was just at a mile. Unfortunately, the trail ended at a deep creek and we never recovered the buck. There was no snow, but there was enough blood to keep it from being too bad a job.

Leave a comment:

• whats the longest trailing job after the shot accomplished by your self or with friends ?with or without snow

whats the longest trailing job after the shot accomplished by your self or with friends ?with or without snow

Welcome!

Collapse

Welcome to Outdoor Life's Answers section. Here you will find hunting, fishing, and survival tips from the editors of Outdoor Life, as well as recommendations from readers like yourself.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ for information on posting and navigating the forums.

And don't forget to check out the latest reviews on guns and outdoor gear on outdoorlife.com.

Right Rail 1 Ad

Collapse

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.

Right Rail 2 Ad

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

Right Rail 3 Ad

Collapse

Footer Ad Widget