Top Ad Widget

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

whats the longest trailing job after the shot accomplished by your self or with friends ?with or without snow

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

probably a couple mile loop that went over a beaver dam at one point....there was snow on the ground so the the tracking was easy....but a wild job through some pretty rough back country and swamp....the big buck was shot in the front leg and made a complete circle....finally pinned the buck that my friend had shot.... just near where the first shot was fired.....saved dragging him out over that beaver dam....it would have been a day long job to get him out

Comment

killing the deer where it stands is easier than tracking it. shoot to kill.

Comment

Never...one shot..one kill,use the right caliber and ammo with good shot placement...no need to track
        As a youngster I was given one round to hunt with make it count or come home with that round,the gun was a Savage M99-250/3000..W/peep sight.That was back in the war days...It still holds true to this day.

Comment

That is some good hunting Smitty18, keep it up. If you have not read about the Benoit's legendary hunting by tracking skills - You will find this must reading. Larry Benoit may be the greatest deer hunter in all of North America EVER!
          I was very fortunate to come of age among hunters who tracked in an era of vast open lands. Cut my deer hunting teeth in the tamarack swamps and birch points from Woodland - Red Top - Isle to McGregor, MN. Also learned how to spend nights alone in those swamps in order to not lose the track. A skilled tracker can bring the biggest bucks to ground.
          Due to all manner of development there are fewer places to hunt in this manner....
          Reducing most modern hunters into stand sitters.
          later,
          charlie

Comment

Charlie,
            I find even tracking down a deer and not harvesting it to be nearly as much fun as getting one from a treestand. There are some areas where i hunt that leave me no choice but to hang out in my stand and i do for love of hunting but my heart belongs to the thick grape vines and brushy creek bottoms spread amongst the forest. I have never spent the night on a track but it sounds like fun. Unfortunatly it will have to wait for next summer due to the end of my summer break ending next wednesday. School and work take up a lot of time that should be spent in the woods.

Comment

Welcome!

Collapse

Welcome to Outdoor Life's Answers section. Here you will find hunting, fishing, and survival tips from the editors of Outdoor Life, as well as recommendations from readers like yourself.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ for information on posting and navigating the forums.

And don't forget to check out the latest reviews on guns and outdoor gear on outdoorlife.com.

Right Rail 1 Ad

Collapse

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.

Right Rail 2 Ad

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

Right Rail 3 Ad

Collapse

Footer Ad Widget