Top Ad Widget

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Why has our hunting turned into hunting for horns instead of feeding our family's? We know that conservation is a key element in

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Why has our hunting turned into hunting for horns instead of feeding our family's? We know that conservation is a key element in

Why has our hunting turned into hunting for horns instead of feeding our family's? We know that conservation is a key element in wild life but to put 13 inches on southern deer is asking a bit much, I have seen 4 year old deer that would not reach 13 inch inside spread in Northeast Texas. Why make these rules? I have not found a recipe for horns yet!

I know, In Northeast florida management areas we have three on one side rules . The deer are coastal deer MANY of them never grow brow tines and are ratty horned. Why are they taking the fun out of hunting?

Comment

just maybe the reason is to improve the genetics of the overall herd,since you can't eat the horns just shoot doe,maybe in a few years you will see some improvements or if no improvement then they can always change it back as it was .give antler restrictions a chnce before you wanna fire your game managers .

Comment

The restrictiond have been in place for over 5 years where I'm at, They work in some areas, however in others they should be more lax

Comment

6phunter had a good response. I can't really add to that. It's good deer herd management. You should eventually see a better class of bucks. Fill the freezer with does!!

Comment

There is a point restriction in PA that has been inforced for several years, and I see more big bucks now than before. I don't think any body was happy with it at first but I really think its working. The other guys are right shot some doe for the freezer then hunt a buck. But deer numbers on public land is down.

Comment

Wouldn't shooting the deer that floridahunter describes improve the gene pool?

Comment

Management programs sometimes "leave tangent to the curve" of their intended function....years ago here in Ontario it was 100% doe tags if one applied....some WMU's offered as many as seven additional tags for a hunter who wanted to purchase them....the end result...a couple of tough winters...predators up....deer numbers down...some camps went without last year ....others had reduced harvests....the meat poles were not as full as a rule....management programs still cannot"predict all the factors"....nature still dictates

Comment

'Horn Food on the supper table, or succulent roasts, steaks, chops and burgers?' This is a topic I've been waiting for some time to see posted on Outdoor Life Online.

While we've got our share of great horn & antler racks on the walls, the constant favorite venison - especially in elk is that of a dry cow or a yearing of the species.

It's like young veal, only much better in our eyes and long history. I've passed up more hormone charged, eyes bulging, and urine stinked up bulls than can be counted - while patiently waiting to pick out a quiet, not interested cow that wanders off on her own away from the herd and is content to graze the choice grass slopes by herself or with one or two similiar companions.

Then one calm well aimed shot, set up the block & tackle and send a young runner back to tell the women to prepare for an evening of prime venison butchering and joyful re-telling of the hunt with the honor of the elders in attendance.

Now partners, that's the receipe for lots of great eating venison and many happy family gatherings in front of the fire during the long & bitterly cold winter months ahead!

Comment

MONEY! Obidia gets it!

Comment

I would mostly agree with 6phunter, but I would offer a word of caution, don't overdo the doe harvest, or you will end up where we are now in Iowa, with plummeting deer populations that are significantly below the target goals in most places, but we still are not reducing the antlerless tag numbers because the state legislature won't let the DNR do it because they bring in too much revenue. So please, if there is anyone else on here from Iowa, don't buy antlerless tags until they reduce the quotas, that is the only way to get the message across to the government bureaucrats that they need to adjust their management goals before deer populations are completely wiped out in many areas.

Comment

Thanks All! It would be nice to fill the freezer with a few Doe's but have a limit of 4 Doe permits on my hunting lease and we save those for the Kids or new hunters. This is just frustrating that they let the weak Bucks live and kill the ones needed to repopulate
                        our herds. We have food plots in place to help generate larger, better crop of Bucks but seems they put these restrictions in place to generate MONEY for the State not to help us feed our love ones. This is our 5th year for this and has not helped with the population of deer where I hunt.
                        Last buck I took was an 8 point measured 13 3/4 two years ago. Well Thanks Again, freezer gets filled with wild hogs but rather it be a Nice Buck!!!

Comment

Welcome!

Collapse

Welcome to Outdoor Life's Answers section. Here you will find hunting, fishing, and survival tips from the editors of Outdoor Life, as well as recommendations from readers like yourself.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ for information on posting and navigating the forums.

And don't forget to check out the latest reviews on guns and outdoor gear on outdoorlife.com.

Right Rail 1 Ad

Collapse

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.

Right Rail 2 Ad

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

Right Rail 3 Ad

Collapse

Footer Ad Widget