Top Ad Widget

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

HAS ANYBODY ELSE EVER ACTUALLY TOUCHED A BUCK WHILE HUNTING ? HOW CLOSE HAVE YOU BEEN ?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• HAS ANYBODY ELSE EVER ACTUALLY TOUCHED A BUCK WHILE HUNTING ? HOW CLOSE HAVE YOU BEEN ?

HAS ANYBODY ELSE EVER ACTUALLY TOUCHED A BUCK WHILE HUNTING ? HOW CLOSE HAVE YOU BEEN ?

6phunter,
    I hunt on the ground almost exclusively, I have never touched a buck(fearing being gored when he freaks out.) I have however had several nice bucks pass within inches of me. literally. I could even see fleas on one nice 10 pointer. just to be that close is good enough for me.

Comment

I've never touched a buck while out hunting. I did have one trot by me after a doe had gone by. I would say he was six feet from me. He stopped about 15 feet past me and looked back just as I shot him.

Comment

nope never touched one. Grabbed a squirrel once while turkey hunting. Closest a deer has been to me was about 8 feet

Comment

I've had a doe and a coyote close enough to pet. The doe was running and ran right by me. The coyote snuck up beside me, from behind, while I called turkeys.

Comment

Nope, never touched one, but I did have a mature, 145 class 10 pointer come to within 12 measured feet of me while hunting on the ground. Didn't get him (long, embarrassing story), but it was quite an experience.

Comment

The closest a deer ever came to me while hunting was about 10 feet. Big buck, sadly he is no longer among us.

Comment

Not a live one. I did have a spike run right by me close enough to touch, but I was looking to see if a big buck was following him. (Nope)

Comment

Two years ago, about this time of year, I was walking down a logging road one afternoon when I saw a spotted fawn come loping down the road toward me from 150 yards away. Thinking that something might be chasing it, I drew my revolver and waited, but the fawn seemed to be alone. When it got to about twenty five yards away it turned into the brush on the side of the road and continued to trot along---I was still watching back up the road for a dog or coyote or whatever. I thought it had gone on past me, when I heard a stick crack right by the road. When I cut my eyes over, the fawn stepped out into the road, walked over to me and stopped right by my knee, so close that I could have moved my leg and bumped it. The poor little thing had its tongue hanging out and was breathing hard, and I could think of no benefit for me to try to touch it---it obviously thought I was a stump or something. It paused there for a few seconds and let me admire it, then trotted off into the woods. I never saw its mother and when I went back the next morning I saw its tracks in the sand where it had returned, but there were no accompanying doe tracks. It was just one of those things that happens to you if you mess around in the outdoors long enough.

Comment

I had a doe 3 yards away this past turkey season and i have been lucky enough to have two squirrels jump on me while in the woods, once a few years ago in fall turkey and last year during archery.

Comment

Deer now a days are getting so dang tame they are almost no fun to hunt anymore. Touching them is getting easier too; that is if you count stepping on em. Keeps the old heart in shape when what you thought was a log leaps up between your legs and off you go...;D))))
                      later,
                      charlie

Comment

Last year while ground hunting in a old office chair(very comfortable) i had two does that i think were 1 or 2 years old come up behind me. I looked at the two trails they could have chosen. One was less than a foot from me, the other was about 3 feet. They obviously knew something was in the chair and busted me. Oh well, maybe this year!

Comment

Buried myself in a snow bank last winter and had a feeding doe step between my legs. Have been close enough to touch several deer but have not attempted.

Comment

I was once walking through the woods in the spring and almost stepped on a bedded fawn. As I tried to walk away, I almost stepped on another. Hope to get close come bow season.

Comment

Found a beaver in the backyard last week and chased him down. I smacked him and grabbed onto his tail. He did not like that very much...

Comment

Welcome!

Collapse

Welcome to Outdoor Life's Answers section. Here you will find hunting, fishing, and survival tips from the editors of Outdoor Life, as well as recommendations from readers like yourself.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ for information on posting and navigating the forums.

And don't forget to check out the latest reviews on guns and outdoor gear on outdoorlife.com.

Right Rail 1 Ad

Collapse

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.

Right Rail 2 Ad

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

• Lost some cover; pic heavy
                                by fitch270
                                ​ ​ ​ Long story shorter, my Aunt’s 70’ish year old spring line plugged up last Friday, a combination of old iron pipe and poly. The only way to...
                                Yesterday, 06:07 PM
                              • Covid-19
                                by jhjimbo
                                Any indication a game animal can get the virus ? The news had a case of a dog in I think NC that got the virus.

Tucker Carlson had a guest...
                                09-17-2020, 10:38 PM
                              • Spur of the moment rifle
                                by Amflyer
                                I stopped in the local Scheels the other day so see about getting some IMR 4831. As a slow-ish old school powder I thought that the current buying craze...
                                09-17-2020, 11:25 AM
                              • The $20 Shooting Shack
                                by fitch270
                                So we’ve been doing some outside remodeling and dismantled some decking. The stuff wasn’t good enough to reuse on the house when we redo the decks...
                                09-16-2020, 10:23 PM
                              • When is it equipment vs when it is you?
                                by dewman
                                one of my range only pals stopped by last night. I showed him my new mk4 and he showed me his. He had spent a lot of $ on upgrades. A lot. Showed me some...
                                09-15-2020, 08:42 AM

Right Rail 3 Ad

Collapse

Footer Ad Widget

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X