Top Ad Widget

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

I'm still a novice deer hunter as I spent 26 years in the Air Force, mostly overseas and 12 1/2 years with the San Leandro, Ca P

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I'm still a novice deer hunter as I spent 26 years in the Air Force, mostly overseas and 12 1/2 years with the San Leandro, Ca P

I'm still a novice deer hunter as I spent 26 years in the Air Force, mostly overseas and 12 1/2 years with the San Leandro, Ca Police Dept. I really didn't have much time to do any hunting, but now that I'm retired, I've subscribed to Outdoor Life. I've enjoyed your articles on Deer Hunting, especially the one in your "April 2009" issue about "Deer of the Year". Since I know very little about Deer Antlers, I was wondering how do you measure a Deer's Rack and how do you count the points? Please keep up the good work as I read your magazine from cover to cover every month since I subscribed. Griffith Goheen/Vacaville, Ca

Welcome to the world of hunting and outdoor sporting life, or as I have referred to it for many years, "The Real World" the one unseen by way too many people. There are many websites but some that will help you get your feet wet are http://www.boone-crockett.org/bgRecords/ScoringYourTrophy.asp?area=bgRecords,
    http://www.buckmanager.com/2008/01/14/scoring-white-tailed-deer-using-boone-crockett-method/
    and http://dto.com/pdf/hunting/boonCrockett/wttpsc.pdf

Comment

Bo gave you the anwers on scoring, counting is easy. If it's a whitetail you count total points, ie if it has four on each side= 8 point. Mulies are counted by side, ie if both sides have five it's a 5x5.

Comment

Go to Boone and Crocket on the web.

Comment

Welcome!

Collapse

Welcome to Outdoor Life's Answers section. Here you will find hunting, fishing, and survival tips from the editors of Outdoor Life, as well as recommendations from readers like yourself.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ for information on posting and navigating the forums.

And don't forget to check out the latest reviews on guns and outdoor gear on outdoorlife.com.

Right Rail 1 Ad

Collapse

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.

Right Rail 2 Ad

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

• bedding on new rifle
          by Amflyer
          Finally painted some release and on the action and blocked the undercuts with clay. Was out of the commercial release, a vinyl paint on solution by Brownells,...
          Today, 12:22 AM
        • Pictures blocked when logged out?
          by fitch270
          Can't quite figure this one out since it doesn't happen on F&S, if I'm not logged in posted pictures aren't showing up. Doubt its just me.
          Yesterday, 08:57 PM
        • Son of a Fitch: turkey taxidermy
          by fitch270

The kid put this together with his solo bird from this spring. He split a slice of maple for the mounting board, dried the...
          09-23-2020, 07:43 PM
        • Dads gun #2 Browning auto5 20ga
          by dewman
          Last time it was shot was a pheasant hunt in Colorado in '84. I'll have to remedy that. This gun is feather light. Wish the choke was ic or mod. It's...
          09-22-2020, 08:40 AM
        • Dads gun #1 S&W 28-2. .357
          by dewman
          Got my fathers 28-2 357 to go with my 29-2 44mag. Check out the safari land flap holster. ...
          09-22-2020, 07:59 AM

Right Rail 3 Ad

Collapse

Footer Ad Widget

Collapse
        Working...
        X