Top Ad Widget

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

I 3 trail cameras to place this year. I would like some help on where to put them. Got 40 acres crop land, not sure what the far

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I 3 trail cameras to place this year. I would like some help on where to put them. Got 40 acres crop land, not sure what the far

I 3 trail cameras to place this year. I would like some help on where to put them. Got 40 acres crop land, not sure what the farmer planted this year, either beans or corn. About 40 arces woods, the rest is pasture. Have a small pond with past deer activity.

Fotgot to add that the entire property is 112 acres.

Comment

Try to find natural funnels into the fields, with good cover. The good thing with trail cams is you can move them if you get no pics, and its early enough in the year you wont spook the deer for the season.

Comment

I would put them either just right on the edges of the fields, especially in the corners, or if there are grass/weed erosion control strips through the crops those can be good spots as well, especially in corn - just hang 'em right on the corn stalks and brace with a stake so the wind doesn't blow it around.

In any case I would keep them out of the woods, I run cameras very extensively, and I have never had consistent success deep in the woods in the summer, except over mineral licks. Hope this helps!

Comment

As mentioned put them in food source. The 3 main spots you suspect them feeding in, places big bucks might feel safe at at night. 40 acres of woods is small and a camera makes noise and might spook a buck out of the area if its constantly coming into contact with it in it's turf. On the other hand some might argue it'll get used to it but I would say you going in and checking it periodically would alarm deer too much.

Comment

Also if they are flash cameras and not IR I would worry about them spooking away mature bucks. Does will prob get used to the flash though, maybe. I have an old flash cam that I keep out of the woods a good month before season because of this reason.

Comment

well a good place is to place one near the water and put the other ones wherever you see the most deer activity.

Comment

I would have to respectfully disagree with MWK_MN on the flash spooking deer. I used to believe that too, but after three years running two flash cameras and two IR cameras almost year-round, I have actually noticed a higher number of deer looking spooked in the night photos taken with the IR cameras than in the night photos taken by the flash cameras.
                That's not to say the flash cameras are better for not spooking deer, but I don't think there is as much of a difference as some of the marketing would have you believe. I still do prefer IR cameras overall though, as their battery life is usually much better.

Comment

Different deer react differently I suppose. I keep my cam out of the woods a while before season because in my experiences I don't see mature bucks more than once on my flash cam. I just assumed they got spooked but in reality lots of things could have happened. Interesting to hear that about IR cam's. I don't own one so I wouldn't know. Anyone else care to share their opinion/experiences on deer being spooked by flash and IR cam's? Got a pic of the 12 pt I was after last fall, was worried about that winter we had. Less than 2 months until the pursuit begins again, can't wait!

Comment

READ, I read in an OL that bucks will hang out in on field edges bc they don't want their tender antlers in velvet n when they start to rub it off they will hang out in woods

Comment

Put one near the crops to see what they are eating. Put one in the woods where u can see alot of deer trails and sign. You might also want to put one by a treestand.

Comment

Welcome!

Collapse

Welcome to Outdoor Life's Answers section. Here you will find hunting, fishing, and survival tips from the editors of Outdoor Life, as well as recommendations from readers like yourself.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ for information on posting and navigating the forums.

And don't forget to check out the latest reviews on guns and outdoor gear on outdoorlife.com.

Right Rail 1 Ad

Collapse

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.

Right Rail 2 Ad

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

• Home Defense
                        by jhjimbo
                        If you are using your bird gun for double duty of house defense remember to remove the plug. Might as well have full magazine capacity. Also, I have...
                        10-20-2020, 02:15 PM
                      • Pay it forward
                        by fitch270
                        I'm not sure how much interest this will generate but I figured I'd give it a shot and see how it goes. As a way of saying thanks for the help and entertainment...
                        10-18-2020, 01:34 PM
                      • Reloading Gear Order
                        by fitch270
                        I have a bunch of stuff in a cart at Midway and wanted to check with you guys before I place the order. A few things on the cheap side I want to make...
                        10-17-2020, 08:31 AM
                      • Ruger Oops! Round 2
                        by dewman
                        Asked girls if they want it. (Mk4 Hunter) No. We want another rifle so we aren't sharing the one single shot. Some phone calls and a pal & me meet...
                        10-16-2020, 03:20 PM
                      • Who hunts big game with a handgun?
                        by Ernie
                        Any handgun hunters here?
                        Describe your hunting handguns (With Pics!) whether they be revolvers, semi-autos or single-shot specialty pistols.
                        10-16-2020, 02:01 PM

Right Rail 3 Ad

Collapse

Footer Ad Widget

Collapse
                      Working...
                      X