Top Ad Widget

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

O.k guys and ladys my question is this do you guys think a 12 gauge slug gun be to much for a boys first year deer hunting gun i

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• O.k guys and ladys my question is this do you guys think a 12 gauge slug gun be to much for a boys first year deer hunting gun i

O.k guys and ladys my question is this do you guys think a 12 gauge slug gun be to much for a boys first year deer hunting gun i wouldnt have him shoot anything bigger then 2and three fourths inch sheel in a sabot it would be in a pump i know it would be good out to 150 yards but do you think it would kick him to much and scare him i know alot about hunting but i shoot a 300 mag and never used a slug gun any answers would help me out alot thank you for your answers.

There's several things that go into this, i.e. how big is he, has he ever shot a 12 ga. If he has shot a 12 ga then try a slug once and see how he reacts to it. If he wont shot it again then you know it's too big. I would try and set him up with a .243 or something like that personally.

Comment

Depends on how big/old/experienced shoooter is. A 12ga slug packs a good wallop on both ends. You might consider getting a quality recoil absorbing pad installed but remember to shorten stock for length of pull. Also don't know what type sites you're talking about but a 150yd shot with a slug is a long way,especially for a new hunter. Nothing discourages a young hunter more than crippling an animal and losing it.

Comment

150 yard shot would be extremely long for a slug, I would lean towards 60 at most with a 2 3/4 inch bullet. I used a 20 my first year, and it was fine for me, but i could have used a 12. My cousin who was smaller than me used a 12 ga his first year, and his shoulder wasn't to bad after shooting ten rounds through it.

Comment

I have used a 20 gauge Mossberg, with the rifled barrel and a red dot sight slapped on it. Depending on the round you get, it should be good out to maybe 100 yards. The advantage of a 20 gauge is you can shoot a lot more and get used to it without being so sore you get afraid to shoot.

Comment

It also depends on what exactly you're planning on having him hunt. Considering that you're using a 300 Win. Mag., I presume that you're hunting something bigger than whitetails or making longer shots on a regular basis. In which case, a shotgun with slugs would not be a very good choice, but a rifle with a caliber of .270 win, .280 rem, .308 Win., or 30-06 would be more reasonable.

Comment

Depending on how old and how big and familiar he is with shotguns it can make a difference. I got a 12ga. Mossberg when I was only 11-12 and i definitely wasn't shooting it everyday, but I could handle it. My little brother is alot smaller than me and definitely couldn't handle a 12 at the same age. But also like everyone else said above 150 yards for a slug is quite the shot, it'd be very impressive. At that distance a rifle is much more preferable. What do you intend on shooting for game?

Comment

well this year i shot a nice 8 point from ohio and that was my true first hunting trip with a 3in 20 ga slug about 100yards away.and that was a nice deer so i dont think a 12ga will be that nessicary.

Comment

All things considered, I'm throwing my hat in with Yoda and Huntersteve, If there's a chance of shots at over 100 yards, a rifle is a much better choice. You probably can take a deer at further ranges, but there is much greater chance that you will only wound it, and it will go off to die and never be found except by vultures, coyotes, ravens, crows, or any other opportunistic carrion consumer. I'm pretty big on .270, but even a .223 or .243 would be better than a slug at 150 yards, and far more accurate. The object is to take the deer with one shot, not knock it down for a second chance. I know people who have been successful at a range longer than 100 with a slug. I also know off too many situations where the slug was not as well placed as it could have been and they lost the deer and didn't find it until the meat was not salvageable.
                  I think it's more important to consider the shortcomings present when the shooter is still relatively new at hunting than to count on a best case scenario. My old "friend" Mr Murphy always said "If the mission is going exactly as planned, you're just too early into the mission" and also "Any contingency not planned for, will happen, and all contingencies planned for will not." I have not found Mr. Murphy to be wrong very often, particularly when there is a lot riding on your plans.

Comment

i would go with a youth 243 it is smaller and lighter than a regular size but still packs enoug punch

Comment

I wouldnt push a 12 gauge slug past 100 yards MAX. A 12 gauge isnt a small gun. I packs a HUGE punch on both ends as stated earlier. I have shot some 2 3/4" slugs out of a single shot 12 gauge and i can say it kicks pretty dam close to a 300 win mag, if not more. Depends on the wieght of the gun itself. I would go for a smaller rifle if i were you. You dont want your boy to be scared of shooting guns because of the recoil. Take care,

Comment

my brother is twelve was going to shoot a bear with it but he didn't get a shot but he shot a target with it and said it didn't kick much

Comment

Welcome!

Collapse

Welcome to Outdoor Life's Answers section. Here you will find hunting, fishing, and survival tips from the editors of Outdoor Life, as well as recommendations from readers like yourself.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ for information on posting and navigating the forums.

And don't forget to check out the latest reviews on guns and outdoor gear on outdoorlife.com.

Right Rail 1 Ad

Collapse

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.

Right Rail 2 Ad

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

• Pay it forward
                          by fitch270
                          I'm not sure how much interest this will generate but I figured I'd give it a shot and see how it goes. As a way of saying thanks for the help and entertainment...
                          Yesterday, 01:34 PM
                        • Reloading Gear Order
                          by fitch270
                          I have a bunch of stuff in a cart at Midway and wanted to check with you guys before I place the order. A few things on the cheap side I want to make...
                          10-17-2020, 08:31 AM
                        • Ruger Oops! Round 2
                          by dewman
                          Asked girls if they want it. (Mk4 Hunter) No. We want another rifle so we aren't sharing the one single shot. Some phone calls and a pal & me meet...
                          10-16-2020, 03:20 PM
                        • Who hunts big game with a handgun?
                          by Ernie
                          Any handgun hunters here?
                          Describe your hunting handguns (With Pics!) whether they be revolvers, semi-autos or single-shot specialty pistols.
                          10-16-2020, 02:01 PM
                        • What are you hunting with this season? Pics please!
                          by Ernie
                          I am new here, so I’d like to get you to know you better
                          hi primarily hunt with a variety of handguns for big game, and I like shooting those...
                          10-16-2020, 01:43 PM

Right Rail 3 Ad

Collapse

Footer Ad Widget

Collapse
                        Working...
                        X