Top Ad Widget

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Has anyone taught themself how to shoot weak handed? If so, any tips?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Has anyone taught themself how to shoot weak handed? If so, any tips?

Has anyone taught themself how to shoot weak handed? If so, any tips?

I'm a lefty who learned to shoot left handed until I learned in my early 20s that I was right-eyed dominant. At that point I taught myself to shoot rifles and shotguns right-handed.

The process was awkward, yet straightforward. Several times a day I would practice shouldering the shotgun on my right side, doing slow reps of 10 each. I'd put the gun down for a bit and repeat it later. After two weeks or so of this the motion didn't feel nearly as odd. I tossed in a couple trips to the shotgun range and practiced a slow mount on a live bird and pretty soon I was shooting just fine right handed--both with the rifle and the shotgun.

The pistol is a different matter. I shoot pretty well right handed, but tend to shoot most of the time lefty still--mostly because I carry on left-hand side for personal protection and don't want to give that up, even if it costs me a bit in my bullseye and practical pistol scores.

Comment

Game particularly turkeys like to come in on my weak side no matter how I setup. I did all of what John describes plus I must shoot with my right eye closed while shooting left handed whether with a shotgun, rifle or pistol.
      later,
      charlie

Comment

Thank you guys. I am supposed to have the cast for about a month and when the woodchucks emerge with their hoard of young ones I would like to be able to shoot the garden eaters.

Comment

If you try to shoot with your nondominant eye, use a blinder over your other eye rather than closing it. Holding one eye closed tends to make the other twitch and tire faster.

Comment

I'm right handed and left eye dominant. I shoot right handed and close my left eye because its more dominant. Broke my right hand and couldnt use it in 07. Killed my first deer ever shooting left handed later that day its not very hard just practice and close one eye.

Comment

years ago an indiana skeet champion lost his dominant eye,so he made the switch. the following year he shot respectful scores. Tthe year after that he was champion again,JOE KIPPER

Comment

Thank you all for your responses.
                Smitty18

Comment

I've always shot with both arms and can shoot accurately either way. I'm right handed, left eye dominant due to right eye injuries. My problem is when shooting right handed and closing my left eye, my right eye shuts just a bit, distorting my vision even more. Start practicing with airguns or 22's, you'll do fine.

Comment

Welcome!

Collapse

Welcome to Outdoor Life's Answers section. Here you will find hunting, fishing, and survival tips from the editors of Outdoor Life, as well as recommendations from readers like yourself.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ for information on posting and navigating the forums.

And don't forget to check out the latest reviews on guns and outdoor gear on outdoorlife.com.

Right Rail 1 Ad

Collapse

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.

Right Rail 2 Ad

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

• bedding on new rifle
                    by Amflyer
                    Finally painted some release and on the action and blocked the undercuts with clay. Was out of the commercial release, a vinyl paint on solution by Brownells,...
                    Today, 12:22 AM
                  • Pictures blocked when logged out?
                    by fitch270
                    Can't quite figure this one out since it doesn't happen on F&S, if I'm not logged in posted pictures aren't showing up. Doubt its just me.
                    Yesterday, 08:57 PM
                  • Son of a Fitch: turkey taxidermy
                    by fitch270

The kid put this together with his solo bird from this spring. He split a slice of maple for the mounting board, dried the...
                    09-23-2020, 07:43 PM
                  • Dads gun #2 Browning auto5 20ga
                    by dewman
                    Last time it was shot was a pheasant hunt in Colorado in '84. I'll have to remedy that. This gun is feather light. Wish the choke was ic or mod. It's...
                    09-22-2020, 08:40 AM
                  • Dads gun #1 S&W 28-2. .357
                    by dewman
                    Got my fathers 28-2 357 to go with my 29-2 44mag. Check out the safari land flap holster. ...
                    09-22-2020, 07:59 AM

Right Rail 3 Ad

Collapse

Footer Ad Widget

Collapse
                  Working...
                  X