Top Ad Widget

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

So it's opening day firearm season and you are entering your property a little late cause you got held up at home with a dead ca

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• So it's opening day firearm season and you are entering your property a little late cause you got held up at home with a dead ca

So it's opening day firearm season and you are entering your property a little late cause you got held up at home with a dead car battery. You get to within a hundred yards of your deer stand and you hear a loud bang followed by running and crashing. To your horror you walk upon your neighbor Joe in your deer stand, who you've told a dozen times to stay off your land. Worse yet, he just shot that bruiser you had been letting grow the last couple of years and were so looking forward to bagging this season. What happens to Joe and what happens to the deer? Does Joe just get cited for trespassing or poaching as well? Does the trophy buck go to Joe, the DNR or does it belong to you because it was shot and killed on your land? Anybody have any stories of something like this happening?

Joe has a buck tag.

Comment

Shoot, Shovel, Shut Up.
      (Joe, not the deer)
      Smitty18

Comment

What are you saying Smitty ?

Comment

what smitty said, joe had no right to shoot something that wasnt on his land and now he has to pay. It would be something different if he had shot it on his land and it ran on to your land. I cant stand it when people take your trophy away after you have been watching it grow for years.

Comment

Joe gets cited for trespassing and I will have to let the DNR decide who gets the deer. As big as that deer might be it has no trophy value to me anymore.

Comment

Joe gets the ticket for trespassing, loses his gun and maybe 4 wheeler or truck. The DNR decides who gets the deer. I hunt public land mostly and have found several hunters in my best stands openeing day before dawn. I didn't make a situation, I just went back later and chained the platforms to the trees so no one can hunt those stands and I hide and camo my ladder stands better.

Comment

MWK_MN, ignorance is all around us & it seems to grow each day, a guy with a gun on private property that could lead you in so many ways, you need me to go put the fear of god into him my friend :-)

Comment

At our place, this guy isn't getting a ticket, he's going to jail. There is a nice upside to hunting with a Sheriff's Deputy. Joe should not have had dozen warnings. One should suffice then the trespassing complaints need to be made official. The trophy value of the deer may be the super size rattlin' horns I would hope you get to keep; a reminder to you of the day Joe got a free ride to town.

Comment

Smitty18, yea Joe should get a smack or two by the property owner not sure about taking it to the extreme of SSS, lol. DSM suggests just trespassing but Cgull by saying his gun and truck getting taken would that mean he is busted for poaching also? DJH, lol, this hasn't happened to me but I was just thinking about how it could and I'm sure it's on lots of hunters minds each season. I agree that it wouldn't hold the same value on the wall anymore but I probably would want the rack, not to tell false stories, just that it is a nice set of antlers.

Comment

It would be hard to not take matters into your own hands, but in a case like this it would be best to let the law handle it. I am sure that the laws of whatever state this may happen in are enough to cover the offence and discourage it from happening again.

Comment

It would appear that you guys took my attempt at a funny answer a tad too serious. I would not shoot someone unless he shot first. The best thing to do is get his license number and personal information and call the Cops and DNR.

Comment

I knew you were kidding Smitty18 but people who don't follow OL.com might not know your sense of humor, best to put a or something after. Heard my first gobble today and saw a couple dozen turkeys out in the cow pasture, man am I excited for my turkey hunt coming up in a couple of weeks. Got off topic a little but had to let it be known

Comment

Yeah, I kinda figured the non-regulars would be the ones having a bit of a stroke over my comment. Just to let ya'll know I am not a guy who runs around gunning down people in my stands. Well, maybe sometimes! [THAT WAS A JOKE!! I AM NOT SERIOUS!!].
                            I had been hearing lots of gobbling but then we went from 70s to 30s overnight. The birds have shut down. I do have my opening day spot picked out, all that is left is to roost them the night before opening day.
                            My friends had a bit of a chuckle today when I was able to tell them when trout opens (the 16th/3 days) and when turkey opens (the 23rd/10 days) but not when my 15th birthday is (the 19th/6 days)
                            That really shows what my priorities are. And yes I did have to look at the calendar to figure out how many days until my birthday.
                            Smitty18

Comment

the dnr keeps the rack for evidense /if someone at the dnr office likes the rack the odds of you getting the rack back are slim to none.this is from an experience with a similar situation.

Comment

Welcome!

Collapse

Welcome to Outdoor Life's Answers section. Here you will find hunting, fishing, and survival tips from the editors of Outdoor Life, as well as recommendations from readers like yourself.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ for information on posting and navigating the forums.

And don't forget to check out the latest reviews on guns and outdoor gear on outdoorlife.com.

Right Rail 1 Ad

Collapse

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.

Right Rail 2 Ad

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

• Home Defense
                                by jhjimbo
                                If you are using your bird gun for double duty of house defense remember to remove the plug. Might as well have full magazine capacity. Also, I have...
                                Yesterday, 02:15 PM
                              • Pay it forward
                                by fitch270
                                I'm not sure how much interest this will generate but I figured I'd give it a shot and see how it goes. As a way of saying thanks for the help and entertainment...
                                10-18-2020, 01:34 PM
                              • Reloading Gear Order
                                by fitch270
                                I have a bunch of stuff in a cart at Midway and wanted to check with you guys before I place the order. A few things on the cheap side I want to make...
                                10-17-2020, 08:31 AM
                              • Ruger Oops! Round 2
                                by dewman
                                Asked girls if they want it. (Mk4 Hunter) No. We want another rifle so we aren't sharing the one single shot. Some phone calls and a pal & me meet...
                                10-16-2020, 03:20 PM
                              • Who hunts big game with a handgun?
                                by Ernie
                                Any handgun hunters here?
                                Describe your hunting handguns (With Pics!) whether they be revolvers, semi-autos or single-shot specialty pistols.
                                10-16-2020, 02:01 PM

Right Rail 3 Ad

Collapse

Footer Ad Widget

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X