Top Ad Widget

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Scented drags - I have been trying to get an answer to this question from some educated or knowledgeable source for some time so

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Scented drags - I have been trying to get an answer to this question from some educated or knowledgeable source for some time so

Scented drags - I have been trying to get an answer to this question from some educated or knowledgeable source for some time so please give it your best shot. Does the applied scent (doe pee or other) dissipate appreci ably from the time it is applied to a scented drag device until the time when the hunter reaches his/her desired stand? And, if the answer to that question is the logical "Yes", then when a buck picks up that scent, would he, being of excellent olfactory capabilities, naturally follow the scent in the direction in which it becomes stronger thereby moving in the opposite direction of the hunter? Prior to entering the woods, I take every precaution imaginable to make myself scent free and yet, as you might have guessed, I have had no noticeable positive experience with scented drags and wonder if this might be the reason.

I have never used scents or scent blockers, that said, what you are thinking sounds logical to me. try it that way and see what the results are.

Comment

I've never used a scent drag, but the scenario you depict certainly has merit. I'd say that, at best, you have a 50-50 chance of the buck following the trail to you, and the strength of the scent that you mentioned would put in a good worry factor.

Comment

I've used scent drags in the past more as a boot/ trail cover then with the intent to "bloodhound" a buck to the stand. A tv/pro show did a segment on this, applying scent as he went to the set-up. My thought while watching was as yours, made little since. Maybe early afternoon, heading from your stand out is worth a try? I'm better with hanging a scent wick on a tree branch in hopes he comes to it. No matter the wind favor, your up wind of somewhere!

Comment

I've used scent drags in the past more as a boot/ trail cover then with the intent to "bloodhound" a buck to the stand. A tv/pro show did a segment on this, applying scent as he went to the set-up. My thought while watching was as yours, made little sense. Maybe early afternoon, heading from your stand out is worth a try? I'm better with hanging a scent wick on a tree branch in hopes he comes to it. No matter the wind favor, your up wind of somewhere!

Comment

Welcome!

Collapse

Welcome to Outdoor Life's Answers section. Here you will find hunting, fishing, and survival tips from the editors of Outdoor Life, as well as recommendations from readers like yourself.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ for information on posting and navigating the forums.

And don't forget to check out the latest reviews on guns and outdoor gear on outdoorlife.com.

Right Rail 1 Ad

Collapse

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.

Right Rail 2 Ad

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

• Pay it forward
            by fitch270
            I'm not sure how much interest this will generate but I figured I'd give it a shot and see how it goes. As a way of saying thanks for the help and entertainment...
            Yesterday, 01:34 PM
          • Reloading Gear Order
            by fitch270
            I have a bunch of stuff in a cart at Midway and wanted to check with you guys before I place the order. A few things on the cheap side I want to make...
            10-17-2020, 08:31 AM
          • Ruger Oops! Round 2
            by dewman
            Asked girls if they want it. (Mk4 Hunter) No. We want another rifle so we aren't sharing the one single shot. Some phone calls and a pal & me meet...
            10-16-2020, 03:20 PM
          • Who hunts big game with a handgun?
            by Ernie
            Any handgun hunters here?
            Describe your hunting handguns (With Pics!) whether they be revolvers, semi-autos or single-shot specialty pistols.
            10-16-2020, 02:01 PM
          • What are you hunting with this season? Pics please!
            by Ernie
            I am new here, so I’d like to get you to know you better
            hi primarily hunt with a variety of handguns for big game, and I like shooting those...
            10-16-2020, 01:43 PM

Right Rail 3 Ad

Collapse

Footer Ad Widget

Collapse
          Working...
          X