Top Ad Widget

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

I am new to whitetail hunting and have a question you experienced hunters can answer. Some of the hunters I go with spray thems

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I am new to whitetail hunting and have a question you experienced hunters can answer. Some of the hunters I go with spray thems

I am new to whitetail hunting and have a question you experienced hunters can answer. Some of the hunters I go with spray themselves with all kinds of scent blockers and wear scent lock clothing but they pee from their deer stands. They say that's okay as deer cannot smell urine. In my mind I feel that's not a good idea as deer have a great sense of smell. I bring along a bottle just for saving pee in order not to leave scent around my stand. Are they correct about peeing from the stands. As a new comer there actions do not make sense to me.

There is all sorts of anecdotal evidence both ways but if you want to be sure, keep up what you're doing just to be safe. Me, I carry a couple of zip-locks. I agree with your opinion in the matter.

Comment

I have also heard different opinions on this. I do not take a leak near my stand and I am careful where I do.

Comment

Yes there are many views on this topic. Cover scents, scent absorbing clothing, But research has mixed results concerning these. (One company had to retract their advertising statements) I don't pee where I hunt, stay down wind, stay still&quiet. Be willing to be there for many hours. This brings me the most success.

Comment

I have always practiced/thought the same as you....don't pee where you plan to hunt.

But recently I've read quite a bit about many who actually use this tactic as an attractant. (I assume during the middle of the main rut) Many clai that the testosterone in your own urine could actually attract rutting bucks to check out who's in their living room. I've even heard that many many mock scrapes with their own urine.

I've never done/tried any of these ideas....but I can see where it may be possible during the right time of year when big bucks are after anything that smells like it might be a threat to their rutting territory?

Just another angle I've seen discussed multiple times.

the_golf_guy

Comment

I doubt any bucks urine smells like mine. With all the meds, the stout coffee, the onion and garlic from the stir fry from the night before. If the smell is offensive to my nose I imagine it's ten fold for a whitetails. I always carry a bottle with me, better safe than sorry.

Comment

I will weigh in with my opinion here, of course deer can smell human urine, but I do not think that they associate it with danger. I myself do not use scents or scent blocking products. I do hunt the wind, by which I mean I set up downwind from the area I expect the deer to be coming from. I have hunted this way for many years and have always had good success.

Comment

I don't think they can distinguish between deer and human urine. I have let it fly many times and had deer walk right by within a short period of time and they were not alarmed. I will say though that I have never had a trophy buck walk by after wards so who knows maybe them wise old bucks do know.

Comment

They couldn't bee more wrong because deer are always trying to escape any danger so when they smeel the urine the link it to danger an usualy you won;t see that deer in that area again.

Comment

My dad has a friend who has a friend who pees out of his stand and in the past 3 years has shot two 160s and a 170. I don't think they care

Comment

I always carry a bottle but my dad had just finished peeing out of his stand when he killed his biggest buck.

Comment

What I tend to do is, keep like a big bottle with me and tie it to my tree stand. But if I forget I always walk a little ways from my stand. The deer may not be able to distinguish between human and deer but, sometimes the smell can be potent. Weather they can or cant I'd rather no take the chance.

Comment

Welcome!

Collapse

Welcome to Outdoor Life's Answers section. Here you will find hunting, fishing, and survival tips from the editors of Outdoor Life, as well as recommendations from readers like yourself.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ for information on posting and navigating the forums.

And don't forget to check out the latest reviews on guns and outdoor gear on outdoorlife.com.

Right Rail 1 Ad

Collapse

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.

Right Rail 2 Ad

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

• Home Defense
                          by jhjimbo
                          If you are using your bird gun for double duty of house defense remember to remove the plug. Might as well have full magazine capacity. Also, I have...
                          Yesterday, 02:15 PM
                        • Pay it forward
                          by fitch270
                          I'm not sure how much interest this will generate but I figured I'd give it a shot and see how it goes. As a way of saying thanks for the help and entertainment...
                          10-18-2020, 01:34 PM
                        • Reloading Gear Order
                          by fitch270
                          I have a bunch of stuff in a cart at Midway and wanted to check with you guys before I place the order. A few things on the cheap side I want to make...
                          10-17-2020, 08:31 AM
                        • Ruger Oops! Round 2
                          by dewman
                          Asked girls if they want it. (Mk4 Hunter) No. We want another rifle so we aren't sharing the one single shot. Some phone calls and a pal & me meet...
                          10-16-2020, 03:20 PM
                        • Who hunts big game with a handgun?
                          by Ernie
                          Any handgun hunters here?
                          Describe your hunting handguns (With Pics!) whether they be revolvers, semi-autos or single-shot specialty pistols.
                          10-16-2020, 02:01 PM

Right Rail 3 Ad

Collapse

Footer Ad Widget

Collapse
                        Working...
                        X