Top Ad Widget

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

I did some really early season scouting in a place that I know to hold deer for the upcoming archery season. Problem: I hunt on

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I did some really early season scouting in a place that I know to hold deer for the upcoming archery season. Problem: I hunt on

I did some really early season scouting in a place that I know to hold deer for the upcoming archery season. Problem: I hunt on a 60 acre piece of flat, swampy land with a mixture of pine and oak trees. The majority of ground is either cattail or small christmas trees. I did a walk through the area and found a line of telephone pole sized trees that were destroyed from what looks like multiple deer. I followed the rub line into the thickest part of the swamp. In the middle I found 8 beds and around 12 scrapes form last year. 15 yards from those is a single acorn tree with acorns all over the place. My dilemma is that there is no way for me to set up a tree stand as the tallest tree is about 6 ft tall. It will also be difficult to set up a ground blind because there isn't an open space big enough unless its on top of the acorns. If I were to climb the acorn tree, I would have no view of the ground beneath due to the small pine trees. Anyone have any recommendations???????

I think I'd take advantage of the off season and cut a couple of good shooting lanes so I could place a ground blind. You might make a couple of lanes so you could take advantage of different wind directions. Not to push somebody's product, but the DR mower is one of the finest tools available for this kind of work. It will surpass the advertisements. I have one and have been delighted with it.

Comment

if the trees arent big enough to put a stand in and its to difficult for a ground blind you could always try a tri pod stand if you have the room

Comment

I'd try a tri pod stand or a ground blind. Set up and clear shooting lanes asap, removing all the cut limbs from the area.

Comment

Thanks everyone! I'll try the ground blind. )

Comment

I had a situation like that and i took some burlap and wrapped it around 2 little pine trees and about a week before the season i packed in some pine bows to stick in the burlap.

Comment

smitty that's an awesome idea!!! I'll probably try that one

Comment

Glad I could help. Good Luck.
                Smitty18

Comment

Originally posted by pineywoods View Post
                  I think I'd take advantage of the off season and cut a couple of good shooting lanes so I could place a ground blind. You might make a couple of lanes so you could take advantage of different wind directions. Not to push somebody's product, but the DR mower is one of the finest tools available for this kind of work. It will surpass the advertisements. I have one and have been delighted with it.
                  Great idea!
                  https://www.drpower.com/power-equipment/field-brush-mowers/walk-behind/

Comment

Originally posted by yungdeerslayer View Post
                    if the trees arent big enough to put a stand in and its to difficult for a ground blind you could always try a tri pod stand if you have the room
                    Exactly one of the ideas I was going to suggest. A tripod could do the trick.

Comment

Originally posted by Cgull View Post
                      I'd try a tri pod stand or a ground blind. Set up and clear shooting lanes asap, removing all the cut limbs from the area.
                      Or, use the cut limbs to help disguise your blind location.

Comment

Originally posted by pjsabella View Post
                        Thanks everyone! I'll try the ground blind. )
                        What blind did you choose?

Comment

Originally posted by Smitty18 View Post
                          I had a situation like that and i took some burlap and wrapped it around 2 little pine trees and about a week before the season i packed in some pine bows to stick in the burlap.
                          That was a good idea to blend in natural materials.

Comment

I'm with the others. Cut shooting lanes well before the season. Then use a tripod or ground blind.

Comment

Welcome!

Collapse

Welcome to Outdoor Life's Answers section. Here you will find hunting, fishing, and survival tips from the editors of Outdoor Life, as well as recommendations from readers like yourself.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ for information on posting and navigating the forums.

And don't forget to check out the latest reviews on guns and outdoor gear on outdoorlife.com.

Right Rail 1 Ad

Collapse

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.

Right Rail 2 Ad

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

• Home Defense
                              by jhjimbo
                              If you are using your bird gun for double duty of house defense remember to remove the plug. Might as well have full magazine capacity. Also, I have...
                              10-20-2020, 02:15 PM
                            • Pay it forward
                              by fitch270
                              I'm not sure how much interest this will generate but I figured I'd give it a shot and see how it goes. As a way of saying thanks for the help and entertainment...
                              10-18-2020, 01:34 PM
                            • Reloading Gear Order
                              by fitch270
                              I have a bunch of stuff in a cart at Midway and wanted to check with you guys before I place the order. A few things on the cheap side I want to make...
                              10-17-2020, 08:31 AM
                            • Ruger Oops! Round 2
                              by dewman
                              Asked girls if they want it. (Mk4 Hunter) No. We want another rifle so we aren't sharing the one single shot. Some phone calls and a pal & me meet...
                              10-16-2020, 03:20 PM
                            • Who hunts big game with a handgun?
                              by Ernie
                              Any handgun hunters here?
                              Describe your hunting handguns (With Pics!) whether they be revolvers, semi-autos or single-shot specialty pistols.
                              10-16-2020, 02:01 PM

Right Rail 3 Ad

Collapse

Footer Ad Widget

Collapse
                            Working...
                            X