Top Ad Widget

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

I did some really early season scouting in a place that I know to hold deer for the upcoming archery season. Problem: I hunt on

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • I did some really early season scouting in a place that I know to hold deer for the upcoming archery season. Problem: I hunt on

    I did some really early season scouting in a place that I know to hold deer for the upcoming archery season. Problem: I hunt on a 60 acre piece of flat, swampy land with a mixture of pine and oak trees. The majority of ground is either cattail or small christmas trees. I did a walk through the area and found a line of telephone pole sized trees that were destroyed from what looks like multiple deer. I followed the rub line into the thickest part of the swamp. In the middle I found 8 beds and around 12 scrapes form last year. 15 yards from those is a single acorn tree with acorns all over the place. My dilemma is that there is no way for me to set up a tree stand as the tallest tree is about 6 ft tall. It will also be difficult to set up a ground blind because there isn't an open space big enough unless its on top of the acorns. If I were to climb the acorn tree, I would have no view of the ground beneath due to the small pine trees. Anyone have any recommendations???????

  • #2
    I think I'd take advantage of the off season and cut a couple of good shooting lanes so I could place a ground blind. You might make a couple of lanes so you could take advantage of different wind directions. Not to push somebody's product, but the DR mower is one of the finest tools available for this kind of work. It will surpass the advertisements. I have one and have been delighted with it.

    Comment


    • #3
      if the trees arent big enough to put a stand in and its to difficult for a ground blind you could always try a tri pod stand if you have the room

      Comment


      • #4
        I'd try a tri pod stand or a ground blind. Set up and clear shooting lanes asap, removing all the cut limbs from the area.

        Comment


        • #5
          Thanks everyone! I'll try the ground blind. )

          Comment


          • #6
            I had a situation like that and i took some burlap and wrapped it around 2 little pine trees and about a week before the season i packed in some pine bows to stick in the burlap.

            Comment


            • #7
              smitty that's an awesome idea!!! I'll probably try that one

              Comment


              • #8
                Glad I could help. Good Luck.
                Smitty18

                Comment


                • #9
                  Originally posted by pineywoods View Post
                  I think I'd take advantage of the off season and cut a couple of good shooting lanes so I could place a ground blind. You might make a couple of lanes so you could take advantage of different wind directions. Not to push somebody's product, but the DR mower is one of the finest tools available for this kind of work. It will surpass the advertisements. I have one and have been delighted with it.
                  Great idea!
                  https://www.drpower.com/power-equipment/field-brush-mowers/walk-behind/

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Originally posted by yungdeerslayer View Post
                    if the trees arent big enough to put a stand in and its to difficult for a ground blind you could always try a tri pod stand if you have the room
                    Exactly one of the ideas I was going to suggest. A tripod could do the trick.

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      Originally posted by Cgull View Post
                      I'd try a tri pod stand or a ground blind. Set up and clear shooting lanes asap, removing all the cut limbs from the area.
                      Or, use the cut limbs to help disguise your blind location.

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        Originally posted by pjsabella View Post
                        Thanks everyone! I'll try the ground blind. )
                        What blind did you choose?

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          Originally posted by Smitty18 View Post
                          I had a situation like that and i took some burlap and wrapped it around 2 little pine trees and about a week before the season i packed in some pine bows to stick in the burlap.
                          That was a good idea to blend in natural materials.

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            I'm with the others. Cut shooting lanes well before the season. Then use a tripod or ground blind.

                            Comment

                            Welcome!

                            Collapse

                            Welcome to Outdoor Life's Answers section. Here you will find hunting, fishing, and survival tips from the editors of Outdoor Life, as well as recommendations from readers like yourself.

                            If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ for information on posting and navigating the forums.

                            And don't forget to check out the latest reviews on guns and outdoor gear on outdoorlife.com.

                            Right Rail 1 Ad

                            Collapse

                            Top Active Users

                            Collapse

                            There are no top active users.

                            Right Rail 2 Ad

                            Collapse

                            Latest Topics

                            Collapse

                            • 17hm2 fail part 3 CCI response
                              by dewman
                              Been in email contact with technical service rep Cody B. through out the day . They are sending me UPS to pick up ammo and take it to them. Will reimburse...
                              Today, 07:12 PM
                            • 17hm2 detonation part 2
                              by dewman
                              So this morning I went to pry the blockage out. Surprise! All that came out, and popped out easily, was the bullet still sitting in the throat. Tip intact(messed...
                              Yesterday, 11:52 AM
                            • 17hm2 explodes in the chamber
                              by dewman
                              $65 to replace magwell& clip if gun is o.k.Was at a friends shooting our rimfires at flocks of blackbirds. Me with my ever present CZ. I lined up...
                              01-16-2021, 08:56 PM
                            • Powder availability.
                              by Red Angus
                              I went by a nearby gun store last weekend to see what reloading supplies he had in stock. I'm fairly confident he had more powder in stock than all the...
                              01-15-2021, 12:20 PM
                            • Anyone considering a pellet rifle?
                              by fitch270
                              It's looking like the ammo situation may be with us for awhile. I'd thought about picking up an adult style pellet rifle a few years ago but put the idea...
                              01-14-2021, 11:23 PM

                            Right Rail 3 Ad

                            Collapse

                            Footer Ad Widget

                            Collapse
                            Working...
                            X