Top Ad Widget

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Im trying to find a good food plot brand. Im up in the air about which one to choose. Any suggestions?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Im trying to find a good food plot brand. Im up in the air about which one to choose. Any suggestions?

Im trying to find a good food plot brand. Im up in the air about which one to choose. Any suggestions?

A soil test will determine what is your best choice for a food plot--depending on soil type -- some seeding choices can be eliminated.....most farm stores or garden centers can help....the idea is to plant what will produce the best crop given your soil type -- climate --drainage etc....talk to reps see what they suggest

Comment

Decoy hunter has some excellent advice. Your best choice could depend on a lot of factors including where you are, what time of year you plan to plant for, etc.
      I am not a big fan of plot mixes because I've found that they are overpriced---you pay a lot for that picture of the big buck on the bag---and they tend to contain a lot of seed that grow to look good, but may not be particularly attractive to wildlife, such as rye grass seed.
      Clover that is suitable for your part of the country is always a great staple for a plot and you can mix in oats or wheat for small grains. Some brassicas such as turnips or rape do well after a frost has sweetened them up. Look at alfalfa or cowpeas for a summer plot. Your county extension agent will give you some good ideas. GET A SOIL TEST!
      Good luck with your planting---pray for rain.

Comment

Soil tests and your climate should determine what you plant. In areas that recieves little rainfall Tecomate's blends have worked well for me. I didn't really care for the Biologic stuff. Seemed like it was made up of a lot of wasted vegitation. I don't think you can ever beat clover (red or white) and soybeans are unbelievable in the summer and early fall. But again, these are things that work well in MY area.

Comment

I agree with everything these guys have said. One thing to look at though is on the back of the bag of seed, it will give you a list of whats in it if its a plant mix such as clover and forage rape and brassica. Some companies skimp on the plant that actually makes a difference. They will put rye grass in there and rye grass is everywhere. You want the majority of it to be chicory or brassica or forage oats or clovers. Some companies also put a small percentage of weed seed in it. This is to make you buy there weed be gone products. Just make sure you get a mix or even better a a bag of one type of seed and plant it HEAVILY! deer will be hammerin it. Good Luck!
          Foxhunter18

Comment

Have you tried Sweet Spot from Sucra Seeds
            http://www.barnyardproducts.com/seeds/sucra

Comment

What game are you trying to attract and where do you live, how big are you trying to make it. All factors regarding what to plant.

Comment

Everyone hit the nail on the head. You need to choose what type of plot you want. Spring, summer a nutrition plot or something you plant for fall and winter to hunt over. Some oats and wheats wont withstand cold and freezing and are not as palatable to deer. Brassica's are said to contain toxins to deer, and are hard to digest. May be check into Buck Forage Oats heard its a good producing product. Whatever you choose, do a soil sample, fertilizer, and lime !!

Comment

Welcome!

Collapse

Welcome to Outdoor Life's Answers section. Here you will find hunting, fishing, and survival tips from the editors of Outdoor Life, as well as recommendations from readers like yourself.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ for information on posting and navigating the forums.

And don't forget to check out the latest reviews on guns and outdoor gear on outdoorlife.com.

Right Rail 1 Ad

Collapse

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.

Right Rail 2 Ad

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

• Outdoor Life archives
                  by Scott123
                  Has anyone missed reading Outdoor Life cover to cover archives? I get the run around on the phone about it may come back. Anyone else read it besides...
                  Yesterday, 11:23 PM
                • Blade Stain
                  by jhjimbo
                  Anybody have tips for getting stains off knife blades. I have a nice, K-Bar I would like to clean up and a 3" Western. All different kinds of stains,...
                  Yesterday, 11:40 AM
                • Home Defense
                  by jhjimbo
                  If you are using your bird gun for double duty of house defense remember to remove the plug. Might as well have full magazine capacity. Also, I have...
                  10-20-2020, 02:15 PM
                • Pay it forward
                  by fitch270
                  I'm not sure how much interest this will generate but I figured I'd give it a shot and see how it goes. As a way of saying thanks for the help and entertainment...
                  10-18-2020, 01:34 PM
                • Reloading Gear Order
                  by fitch270
                  I have a bunch of stuff in a cart at Midway and wanted to check with you guys before I place the order. A few things on the cheap side I want to make...
                  10-17-2020, 08:31 AM

Right Rail 3 Ad

Collapse

Footer Ad Widget

Collapse
                Working...
                X