Top Ad Widget

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Okay, I may be out of the loop. I have found sheds various times but I have never searched for them. What is the big draw with

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Okay, I may be out of the loop. I have found sheds various times but I have never searched for them. What is the big draw with

Okay, I may be out of the loop. I have found sheds various times but I have never searched for them. What is the big draw with these? Are they selling big racks for profit or just what? Help me out with this I just don't get it. Apparently here in IA people are "poaching" them.

Wonder if this blog is screwed up like F&S?

Comment

test 123

Comment

Deer antlers, Bear bladders etc can be sold to countries in the far east for big bucks, wouldn't suggest it. Hard to hunt and fish behind a weapons restricted and no fishing zone called jail!

Comment

It doesn't seem to be. I couldn't even get into F&S this morning.

Comment

OL's March 2011 issue has an article in it about shed hunting. From the article it states that a single shed that measured 123 inches sold for $5,000.00. The match shed from the same deer from a year earlier brought in $19,000.00.
            Companies buy whitetail deer, mule deer, elk, moose antlers by the pound. The bigger racks, trophy sheds, are priced by inches and if you find a matching set the price goes up. You can make a lot of money finding sheds.

Comment

Hunters for whatever reason are fascinated with antlers and will go to extremes to get their hands on them. Now if Johnie is correct I might be fascinated also and start searching high and low to make an extra buck! I've seen some big ol'boyz that would bring a pretty penny if people really buy by the inch!

Comment

humans admire animals just as much as animals admire humans. Now days the extra money in shed hunting is nice but you will never get rich from it unless you own a deer or elk farm & know the right buyers who will pay the unbelievable amount. With gas prices shed hunting is more of a hobby that you put money into & sometimes get money out of it. Even before the term money hit the shores of America, humans admired & collected antlers! They used them as kife handles at spiritual gatherings some even displayed them on there head. Times haven't changed much because last month I saw a ford truck with a set of mule deer antlers bolted to the top of the cab. To shed hunt consistently you need lots of time&gas also the drive to keep going where others wont.

Comment

Here is a link where you can see how much sheds really go for us regular people, also you can see how they use antlers as arts & craft not all sheds go to the far east, & in most places it shouldn't illegal to pick up a shed or sell it you need to check you state laws & of course private land or parks are a big no no unless you have permission! Click the link here =----> http://www.taxidermy.net/forum/

Comment

I llok for sheds to show where my local bucks winter and who survived hunting season and winter.

Comment

A friend of mine collected enough money from sheds to buy a small boat and motor in one season.

Comment

Big antlers do go for a lot of money but personally, it's not about that at all for me. Last year I found about 12 sheds. It's awesome just spendin the whole day in the woods never really knowin what you might find or see and if you get some big antlers outta the deal then its well worth your time.

Comment

Andie- I agree 100%. Its not about money for me, its about being outdoors.
                          I am a hunter but it brings much joy to know that this buck survived the hunting season and I still get to keep his horns.
                          I hunt for meat but this way I can also hunt for horns and not have to kill anything.

Comment

Welcome!

Collapse

Welcome to Outdoor Life's Answers section. Here you will find hunting, fishing, and survival tips from the editors of Outdoor Life, as well as recommendations from readers like yourself.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ for information on posting and navigating the forums.

And don't forget to check out the latest reviews on guns and outdoor gear on outdoorlife.com.

Right Rail 1 Ad

Collapse

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.

Right Rail 2 Ad

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

Right Rail 3 Ad

Collapse

Footer Ad Widget