Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• basman
    replied
    if you want the best of both worlds get an ar style rifle in .308 the caliber is good on just about anything, ammunition is readily available and fairly reasonable. remington is making a hunting rifle in this ar style platform.

Leave a comment:

• Johnnie
    replied
    Thanks for answering the question land_cruiser_73 and hoyt1996.
    Question: What does the lettering 'AR' stand for in AR-15 or AR-10?
    The answer is: Armalite Rifle
    In the past I would quess at it and think AR stood for Assualt Rifle, Automatic Rifle, or Army Rifle.....wrong.
    --------------------------------------------
    Eugene Stoner, designer of the AR-10, died at Palm City, Florida 24 April 1997.

Leave a comment:

• hoyt1996
    replied
    automatic rifle is right

Leave a comment:

• land_cruiser_73
    replied
    Just a guess: Automatic Rifle?

Leave a comment:

• Johnnie
    replied
    Bo, I agree a true dye in the blue, err should I say black, AR-15 is in .223 caliber/5.56x45mm NATO. The AR-10 platform for.30 caliber. The AR-10 was Stoner's first choice for the rifle, but the military wanted soldiers to carry more ammo and the AR-15 was developed.
    I think the AR-15 has become to mean synonymously any type of AR platform which isn't right nowadays because of the multitude of AR platforms, but it happens. We could dissect what the author of the question meant when he stated AR-15. The debate on AR's can go on and on, some people like them and some don't. They are not just a .223 caliber rifle anymore.
    I agree the 'AR' lettering is thrown about quite a bit. Not to sound like a know-it-all: I know what 'AR' stands for, does anybody else? Just a trivia question I will throw out there for fun: What does the lettering 'AR' stand for in AR-15 or AR-10?
    I enjoy shooting my Savage bolt action in .270 Winchester as well as my AR-15 Bushmaster in 5.56x45mm NATO (.223 caliber). Hell, it doesn't matter: rifle, handgun, shotgun, or muzzleloader I just like shooting guns!!!

Leave a comment:

• WOODSMAN870
    replied
    For deer if you want a rifle in the AR platform go with the 260 Remington and if you want a bolt action rifle go with the 25-06 Remington.

Leave a comment:

• hoyt1996
    replied
    I think I'm going to agree with Johnnie I checked into the AR15 and they make an AR15 that shoots a 260 Remington shell and one that shoots 30-06 Remington shell

Leave a comment:

• DSMbirddog
    replied
    Each to his own and my own is walnut and steel bolt actions. I know that there are those that want to hunt with their black rifles and more power to them. They aren't magic and you will be limited in calibers available.

Leave a comment:

• Bo
    replied
    Johnnie, a true AR-15 is only in .223 caliber. The .30 calibers are set up on an AR-10 frame. The platform is the same design, but on a larger scale. Even Remington does not claim their rifles to be true AR-15's but state in their website "The new R-15 VTR™ modular repeating rifle was born of the most advanced design aspects of AR-15-style rifles..." Being the same style is different than being the same.
    That is a difference while not earth-shaking is important if one is to be completely accurate.
    The AR-10 in 7.62 NATO and the AR-15 in .223 were designed by Eugene Stoner and were designed for those two calibers alone.
    Others have come forth calling their weapon an AR-15. Because they call it that doesn't make it so.
    Puffs tissues are not Kleenex even though almost everyone calls them that, they are Puffs. The designer has the luxury of determining what is the real thing and what is the knockoff.

Leave a comment:

• Johnnie
    replied
    AR-15's are not chambered in .223 Rem./5.56x45mm NATO caliber only. Remington makes the R-15 and R-25 chambered in deer hunting calibers. The R-15 comes in Remington's own .30 Rem. that takes a .308 bullet and the .450 Bushmaster caliber, a caliber that has "big-bore wallop to knock any North American big game animal off its feet". The R-25 comes in 243 Win., 7mm-08 Remington and 308 Win..
    Other AR-15 companies make AR's that come in deer hunting calibers, too. AR's have been developed into hunting rifles with big game as well as small game calibers. You will be surprised in how many different calibers the AR is offered in. No longer are AR's in the Henry Ford "just as long as it is black" color and .223/5.56x45mm NATO caliber. Hunting AR's come in different calibers, camo finishes and are optic ready. Hunting AR's are semi-auto rifles that operate as a semi-auto rifle.
    I've always been the black sheep of the family (no pun intended) and I vote for the AR-15 just as long as it is in the appropriate caliber for the game you are hunting.

Leave a comment:

• land_cruiser_73
    replied
    I have to agree with everyone else here. The AR is a great rifle for varmints, but too light for deer. I believe the large magazine in an auto rifle also encourages sloppy shooting. I prefer a bolt gun for large game. Any of the calibers listed here are good. You also might consider the .308 for all around shooting and ammo availability and price.

Leave a comment:

• Smitty18
    replied
    I would have to agree with Bo on the part of my not being a fan of AR rifles for anything but target. I will also say that a 308, 300 Savage, or 30-06 would be better choices for deer.

Leave a comment:

• Bo
    replied
    I have never fired a 7mm so I don't know that much about it, other than I watched a guy shoot an elk with one three times and it did not go down. If you are going to strictly for deer it might be a good choice, but IMO there are much better deer rifles out there.
    I am not a fan of the AR15 for anything other than target shooting. There is a reason that the Special Ops guys designed the 6.8 SPC cartridge, the .223 or 5.56 mm round was not taking out as many of the bad guys as was needed. They wanted something that was more effective. IMO the cartridge is too light and does not have that adequate energy to reach out an touch a deer at ranges that many people end up shooting at deer.
    prairieghost had a good point, a .270 (or a .280) are both excellent deer cartridges for deer; my favorite being the .270.

Leave a comment:

• Remington Metric
    replied
    If your primary quarry is going to be limited to deer you want a solid bolt action 7mm; one of the greatest all around hunting and reloading friendly calibers ever invented. I would recommend the sometimes forgotten 7mm, the .280 Remington in a Remington 700 rifle. Factory loads and hand loading components abound from every manufacture; on the light end is the 139 grain laser beam going up in convenient increments to the high sectional density 175 grain hammer. I personally prefer the 160 or 165 grain bonded bullets. I think the AR15 is a pretty impressive rifle platform and it defiantly has its place in the gun safe. However, if you’re are going to be serious about going after deer I think you will be better served and more content in the long run with a .280 Remington or 7mm Remington Magnum. Enjoy your new rifle!

Leave a comment:

• prairieghost
    replied
    if those are your only choices, maybe you want to reconsider. where do you live? WI, OH, KY? or MT, WY?? if you are dealing with woodlands and heavy cover, the 7mm might be OK but there other calibers that will do well. if you are in the western open country, the AR-15, while legal, would be a bit light for big mule deer. a .270 or .280 could be a compromise between your current two choices.

Leave a comment:

Welcome!

Collapse

Welcome to Outdoor Life's Answers section. Here you will find hunting, fishing, and survival tips from the editors of Outdoor Life, as well as recommendations from readers like yourself.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ for information on posting and navigating the forums.

And don't forget to check out the latest reviews on guns and outdoor gear on outdoorlife.com.

Right Rail 1 Ad

Collapse

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.

Right Rail 2 Ad

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

• Covid-19
    by jhjimbo
    Any indication a game animal can get the virus ? The news had a case of a dog in I think NC that got the virus.

Tucker Carlson had a guest...
    09-17-2020, 10:38 PM
  • Spur of the moment rifle
    by Amflyer
    I stopped in the local Scheels the other day so see about getting some IMR 4831. As a slow-ish old school powder I thought that the current buying craze...
    09-17-2020, 11:25 AM
  • The $20 Shooting Shack
    by fitch270
    So we’ve been doing some outside remodeling and dismantled some decking. The stuff wasn’t good enough to reuse on the house when we redo the decks...
    09-16-2020, 10:23 PM
  • When is it equipment vs when it is you?
    by dewman
    one of my range only pals stopped by last night. I showed him my new mk4 and he showed me his. He had spent a lot of $ on upgrades. A lot. Showed me some...
    09-15-2020, 08:42 AM
  • Dewman goes Teal hunting.
    by dewman
    So one of the farmers who doesn't hunt doves does hunt rails & snipe which opened the 1st, and teal which opened yesterday (Saturday). He asked me...
    09-13-2020, 04:48 PM

Right Rail 3 Ad

Collapse

Footer Ad Widget

Collapse
Working...
X