Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• i am 6 feet i live in Kansas so whats the best deer rifle for me

i am 6 feet i live in Kansas so whats the best deer rifle for me

The best rifle is not an easy question to answer. If you live in western Kansas where the chances of a long range shot are great, you would probably do better with a flat shooting rifle such as a .270. Some places in eastern Kansas, you might not need as much reach out and touch them.
    Then there is your tolerance to recoil... Some people find a .30-06 too much recoil while others don't consider that round to have any significant recoil.
    If you have friends who hunt, see if you can go with them when they are sighting in their guns. If they will let you shoot a few rounds, you might be able to figure out what is best for you.
    YOU are the only one who can say what is best for you. The best rifle in the world will be worthless id you cannot shoot it with confidence and without flinching. You need to do some trial and error testing to see what your tolerances and your preferences.
    Picking the perfect deer rifle is kind of like picking a woman. The most beautiful woman in the world may look real nice and every man in the world would love to get closer to her; but if she is hell incarnate at home, she quickly loses her luster.
    Notice many of the super models get married and divorced rather frequently. What looks good doesn't count if you cannot live with your gun (or your girl.)

Comment

Bo, you are very wise and very well spoken.

Pay attention, Grasshopper.

Comment

IMHO~ the New Winchester Mod 70 is a Fits All!

Comment

Besides considering caliber and manufacturer; the best deer rifle {or any long rifle or shotgun} is one that fits you. Length of pull, which is measured from your bent trigger finger to the crook of the elbow, is important. Too long of LOP you will be reaching for the trigger, too short and you will be all bunched up. Most rifles have a 13 1/2" length of pull.
          I like the .270 Winchester caliber for deer. I also like Savage Arms. That is my two choices for a deer rifle.

Comment

What Bo said. I can't agree more with trying out a few. Friends will be glad to help out.

Comment

Trust Bo to compare a fine gun to a good woman. Well, I do love my shotgun for her fine lines and fire power. For those ladies who might take offence to such a remark I suspect they enjoy their firearm of choice for HIS fine lines and fire power as well.
              Shoulder a beautiful over and under shotgun and it is hard not to be smitten!

Comment

As to the technical aspect of making the right choice, I suggest reading some loading manuals. Any of the manuals give a good synopsis of the various calibers and their capabilities. Choosing the right rifle starts with choosing the right caliber. The key variables are as mentioned in the previous posts.. how far do you expect to be shooting, is it open ground or heavily wooded, how much recoil can you tolerate and how large is the big game that you intend to hunt? Each of the manuals will provide you with recoil charts for the various calibers. They will also present you with ballistic charts showing bullet drop over distances with each caliber and their different bullet weights. If you like the 30-06 but the heavier bullets and recoil are questionable then look at the .270 with the lighter 130 gr bullet or drop to the 25-06 with 120 gr bullets. Lots of choices with more fun to follow in choosing the rifle. Enjoy!

Comment

I'm 6'5 & all guns seem to shoot straight for me, not much more I can add after Bo laid it all out for you :-)

Comment

definetely a .375.... nahh just joking but anything that shoots flat out to your preferred range will work just fine for you. it's all about preference but i would reccommend something like a .280, .270, 7mm mag and even a 30-06 or a .300 mag will work well if you can shoot it straight.

Comment

"A weapon is only as good as it's master" the best gun for you is the one you trust, the one you have the most experience with. Get to know this gun because the relationship between man & tools is something special, Weapons & Humans are locked together in destiny, weapons & us until the last light. Pray for your gun, wait a minute dont laugh yet or wright me off as crazy, all things are alive & all things have a spirit, our mother earth is very much alive & thats where all the material comes from that builds our weapons our mother, Pray & ask for help & guidance, pay your respect to you weapon of destiny because we humans control very little,

Comment

What ever shoots the best for you. The caliber range should be between 243 and 30-06. With the exeption of 44.mag nd 44-40. But I highly recamend the 30-06 or 308 winchester. The most important thing is to find witch bullet your gun likes and one that will put a deer down as quick as posible with out damaging to much meat.

Comment

Does height really matter?lol Im 5' 10" what should i shoot??? Ha joking!

Comment

Just like Bo said, trial and error. Also any hunting store or local gun shop has employees that would be more than willing to give a fellow hunter a helping hand. I have found that every hunter has a rifle that fits them. Its like a part of them. Once you get used to that rifle, you wont switch. A local outfitter would be best to talk to because they know the conditions and terrain that you will be for the most part hunting. Good Luck with everything. Remember, it all comes down to what you feel comfortable with.

Comment

Welcome!

Collapse

Welcome to Outdoor Life's Answers section. Here you will find hunting, fishing, and survival tips from the editors of Outdoor Life, as well as recommendations from readers like yourself.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ for information on posting and navigating the forums.

And don't forget to check out the latest reviews on guns and outdoor gear on outdoorlife.com.

Right Rail 1 Ad

Collapse

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.

Right Rail 2 Ad

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

• Home Defense
                              by jhjimbo
                              If you are using your bird gun for double duty of house defense remember to remove the plug. Might as well have full magazine capacity. Also, I have...
                              10-20-2020, 02:15 PM
                            • Pay it forward
                              by fitch270
                              I'm not sure how much interest this will generate but I figured I'd give it a shot and see how it goes. As a way of saying thanks for the help and entertainment...
                              10-18-2020, 01:34 PM
                            • Reloading Gear Order
                              by fitch270
                              I have a bunch of stuff in a cart at Midway and wanted to check with you guys before I place the order. A few things on the cheap side I want to make...
                              10-17-2020, 08:31 AM
                            • Ruger Oops! Round 2
                              by dewman
                              Asked girls if they want it. (Mk4 Hunter) No. We want another rifle so we aren't sharing the one single shot. Some phone calls and a pal & me meet...
                              10-16-2020, 03:20 PM
                            • Who hunts big game with a handgun?
                              by Ernie
                              Any handgun hunters here?
                              Describe your hunting handguns (With Pics!) whether they be revolvers, semi-autos or single-shot specialty pistols.
                              10-16-2020, 02:01 PM

Right Rail 3 Ad

Collapse

Footer Ad Widget

Collapse
                            Working...
                            X