Top Ad Widget

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Which would be the better choice for a handgun for hunting whitetail deer: A 357 magnum double action revolver, Or a 10mm semi a

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Which would be the better choice for a handgun for hunting whitetail deer: A 357 magnum double action revolver, Or a 10mm semi a

Which would be the better choice for a handgun for hunting whitetail deer: A 357 magnum double action revolver, Or a 10mm semi auto? Now I just want something accurate, with the knockdown power. I don't really care about long distance shots because it will more than likely to be close range, but if the situation should arise I would like to have the ability to take a shot at 50 to 100 yards. Any suggestions would be more than helpful.

I do not consider the .357 to be an adequate deer gun. If you are lucky, if you hit it in the right place, and if it goes down, you might kill it. I have helped people who shot deer with this gun. I do not like to have to stop my hunt to go hunt for a deer that we never found.
    I have not shot a 10mm so I cannot or will not comment on it, but a .44 Mag is more than adequate for the range that you state. MY 629 Smith is more comfortable to shoot than the 686 Smith that I got for my wife... Sold that one pretty quick.
    I like the .44 for just about any game animal that I can hunt in Oklahoma. It has brought down even larger game than is found here. Take a look at the Smith website. Nice guns there...
    And no, I do not work for Smith & Wesson, I just love their guns.

Comment

I would definitely go with a revolver. I too have a smith 629 with a 8 3/8 inch barrel and it performs very well at the ranges you stated although I keep my shots to less than 60 yards due to my skill level. I doubt any semi-auto will be able to pattern worth a hoot at 100 yards.

Comment

I would go with the revolver. I agree with Bo that the .44 mag would be a better choice, but between the 10mm and the .357 I would choose the .357 just my opinion. I would also like to add that I myself would not like to try any shots over 50 yards with a handgun for deer, again just my own opinion.

Comment

If you use a quality hunting bullet like the 180grain Nosler partition and use common sense like keeping your shots to 75 yards or less using a 6" barrel or 50 yards with a 4" the .357 is the way to go. Before my health deteriorated I used a 4" Colt. A revolver is more accurate than a semi auto for hunting purposes. If you choose the 10mm keep your shot to a maximum of 25 yards. But, getting close is what pistol hunting is about. Use what gun you can handle. I could never handle a big old 44(wrist problems) but I could shoot a hair off a fly's butt at 50 yards with my old colt. Accurate well thought out shots with ethical placement and quality bullets is the key. Good luck and have fun.

Comment

I wouldn't be crazy about someone trying to use a 357 at 100yds for deer. I think someting bigger like a 41 or 44 would be a better choice. The next hurdle is the skill to shoot a deer at 100 yards with a handgun.

Comment

.44 Mag is the minimum I use for deer hunting and keep my shots 40 yds or less. Challenge is the name of the game for me. Some of my buddies carry a handgun and a rifle just in case they see the big one too far out.
              From my field experience 800 ft/lbs of energy is required to reliably kill a deer. Check whatever you decide to use on a ballistics table, note the range that ft/lbs are delivered.
              For example at 50 yds .357 mag delivers 504 ft/lbs the 10mm delivers 468 ft/lbs. A .44 mag delivers 807ft/lbs at 50 yds.
              Good hunting.
              later,
              charlie

Comment

I've killed a deer with the .357 but I also wounded 2 and lost them both. I swear I will never hunt deer with a .357 again. Now I use a .44. I didn't adjust well to the .44 mag rounds at first so I used the .44 special. It has proven deadly but at short range. I consider hunting with a pistol akin to hunting with a bow. I take only close shots. 50 yards is plenty far. Oh, and I prefer Smith & Wesson or Ruger revolvers. High value at a reasonable price. And, I think a 4" barrel is too short. Happy hunting!

Comment

I have been handgun hunting now for about 35 years. I have heard all the stories that go along with deer hunting and its magical shots. The .357 mag will take deer in the hands of a handgunner out to and beyond 75yards. But the real deer handgunner will be using the .44 mag ,.454 casul,.460S&W,.480 Ruger or .500S&W > Yes I know the there are other handguns chambered for larger cartridges and rifle calibers as well. But I am talking true handgun cartridges here. The .460 & .500 are a bit much for whitetail but they do a great job well out to 200 plus yards. But not every handgunner can shoot that well beyong 50yards. I am down to 3 handguns now. 2 Taurus 444 RagingBulls in .44mag with 8 3/8" stainless 1 with a 3x burris posi loc and the other with a 42mm Hammers red dot.460XVR S&W in 10.5" stainless with a 2.5 x6 leupold. This .460 is a handful to shoot at first until you let your arm and wrest hang loose. All 3 of these guns have taken whitetails over 175 # with 1 shot all being between 100 and 162 yards on a rangefinder. The .357 would never have made the kills over the 100 yard mark.

Comment

Welcome!

Collapse

Welcome to Outdoor Life's Answers section. Here you will find hunting, fishing, and survival tips from the editors of Outdoor Life, as well as recommendations from readers like yourself.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ for information on posting and navigating the forums.

And don't forget to check out the latest reviews on guns and outdoor gear on outdoorlife.com.

Right Rail 1 Ad

Collapse

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.

Right Rail 2 Ad

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

• Home Defense
                    by jhjimbo
                    If you are using your bird gun for double duty of house defense remember to remove the plug. Might as well have full magazine capacity. Also, I have...
                    Yesterday, 02:15 PM
                  • Pay it forward
                    by fitch270
                    I'm not sure how much interest this will generate but I figured I'd give it a shot and see how it goes. As a way of saying thanks for the help and entertainment...
                    10-18-2020, 01:34 PM
                  • Reloading Gear Order
                    by fitch270
                    I have a bunch of stuff in a cart at Midway and wanted to check with you guys before I place the order. A few things on the cheap side I want to make...
                    10-17-2020, 08:31 AM
                  • Ruger Oops! Round 2
                    by dewman
                    Asked girls if they want it. (Mk4 Hunter) No. We want another rifle so we aren't sharing the one single shot. Some phone calls and a pal & me meet...
                    10-16-2020, 03:20 PM
                  • Who hunts big game with a handgun?
                    by Ernie
                    Any handgun hunters here?
                    Describe your hunting handguns (With Pics!) whether they be revolvers, semi-autos or single-shot specialty pistols.
                    10-16-2020, 02:01 PM

Right Rail 3 Ad

Collapse

Footer Ad Widget

Collapse
                  Working...
                  X