Top Ad Widget

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

crazy canuck, tell us more about that deer migration study done ten years ago by the Sask. Fish and Game. Got any links to stori

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• crazy canuck, tell us more about that deer migration study done ten years ago by the Sask. Fish and Game. Got any links to stori

crazy canuck, tell us more about that deer migration study done ten years ago by the Sask. Fish and Game. Got any links to stories about it? Anybody else ever hear about deer migrating 530 miles between summer and fall supposedly between Kenosee Lake, Sask. and Rapid City, SD? Sounds a little crazy to me. I didn't think deer moved like that. http://www.outdoorlife.com/answers/hunting/whitetail-deer/management/cwd-has-now-been-found-mn-fact-not-too-far-where-i-hunt-i-

There was an interesting study jointly conducted by Montana's FWP and Saskatchewan Game and Fish about 10 years ago that tracked mule deer migration between Swift Current, Sask., and northeastern Montana. Some of those deer traveled a couple hundred miles between summer fawning areas in the north and wintering areas in the south. It was especially interesting - and concerning - to those of us in NE Montana because the Swift Current area is one of those places where CWD has turned up. When I worked for FWP in Montana, we spent a great deal of time monitoring borderland deer, but so far, CWD hasn't shown up here in Montana.
    Andrew McKean

Comment

Sorry MWK_MN I couldn't find any links for that study. SERM generally doesn't put up much, if any, info on their studies(partly because the general consensus among hunters and non-hunters alike is that they do a terrible job managing our wildlife populations).

Andrew, I've heard of that study and a similar one with pronghorns that criss cross the boarder. I live near a river valley and in the winter most of the deer migrate to it. "Up top" on the prairie there are very few if any deer within 10 miles unless there is a grain pile for them to feed at. These areas are void of deer for most of the winter but when the snow starts to disappear the deer go right back to where they live the other 8 months of the year. Our mule deer population also shoots way up in the winter in that area and that is when SERM takes wildlife surveys and comes up with very skewed populations for each zone.

Comment

crazy canuck, are you talking about a whitetail or mule deer that traveled that far?

Comment

It was a whitetail.

Comment

One summer in college I worked for the IA DNR. At that time they were radio tracking a number of whitetail deer in IA. One buck was tagged near Boone IA and was killed on I-35 on the north side of KC, MO two months later. But that was a single deer and it was summer.

Comment

I remember a tagged whitetail in kentucky that traveled from warren county to bullit county,about 130 miles.,thats a bit short of 530 mentioned .Who knows what a whitetail might do.

Comment

Welcome!

Collapse

Welcome to Outdoor Life's Answers section. Here you will find hunting, fishing, and survival tips from the editors of Outdoor Life, as well as recommendations from readers like yourself.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ for information on posting and navigating the forums.

And don't forget to check out the latest reviews on guns and outdoor gear on outdoorlife.com.

Right Rail 1 Ad

Collapse

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.

Right Rail 2 Ad

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

• Pay it forward
                by fitch270
                I'm not sure how much interest this will generate but I figured I'd give it a shot and see how it goes. As a way of saying thanks for the help and entertainment...
                Yesterday, 01:34 PM
              • Reloading Gear Order
                by fitch270
                I have a bunch of stuff in a cart at Midway and wanted to check with you guys before I place the order. A few things on the cheap side I want to make...
                10-17-2020, 08:31 AM
              • Ruger Oops! Round 2
                by dewman
                Asked girls if they want it. (Mk4 Hunter) No. We want another rifle so we aren't sharing the one single shot. Some phone calls and a pal & me meet...
                10-16-2020, 03:20 PM
              • Who hunts big game with a handgun?
                by Ernie
                Any handgun hunters here?
                Describe your hunting handguns (With Pics!) whether they be revolvers, semi-autos or single-shot specialty pistols.
                10-16-2020, 02:01 PM
              • What are you hunting with this season? Pics please!
                by Ernie
                I am new here, so I’d like to get you to know you better
                hi primarily hunt with a variety of handguns for big game, and I like shooting those...
                10-16-2020, 01:43 PM

Right Rail 3 Ad

Collapse

Footer Ad Widget

Collapse
              Working...
              X