Top Ad Widget

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Anyone feed your deer anything but corn or mineral licks.Im feeding 200 lb. of corn a weekend plus batteries for 3 cameras each

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Anyone feed your deer anything but corn or mineral licks.Im feeding 200 lb. of corn a weekend plus batteries for 3 cameras each

Anyone feed your deer anything but corn or mineral licks.Im feeding 200 lb. of corn a weekend plus batteries for 3 cameras each weekend.Getting expensive!!!

At eight or nine bucks for a fifty pound bag, corn can get expensive quickly. I scatter a little in the field in front of my camp, but not nearly as much as you are talking about. Here down south, they don't need the nutrution like they might where the winters are harsher. I don't fool with game cameras. I buy bulk loose salt and make licks, starting about this time of year.

Comment

I believe it's been found that corn fed late in the year isn't what a deer real;y needs at that time.It might be wiser to use your resources into developing some winter food plots and it is less intrusive than reapplying expensive grain. I concede that corn beats nothing at all,and I applaud your efforts to help your herd well after most have le ft the woods.

Comment

I feed the deer behind my house and we talk to farmers and get corn at a discount in exchange for beer, meat, or the elimination of cow leg breaking woodchucks.

Comment

We got hit with a snowstorm late in the year so we were unable to get all the corn out of the fields before winter set in. That means there are about 60 acres of standing corn left so I'm not too worried. The pain will come in the spring when we find out our losses, oh well... As for trail cam's I use a stealth cam with a 12 v rechargeable battery. That thing lasts a good 3-4 weeks even in the frigid winters we get here in MN. I would recommend looking into that, replacing batteries is $$$!!! If nothing else get some rechargeable C batteries or something! I love my trail cam, think it's the greatest thing since sliced bread!

Comment

Well if you have the space buy the corn in bulk quantities it won't save you a ton of money, but it will save you a little. If you are going to feed through the winter might as well go big. The only other thing I can think of is to cut back on how much you are feeding to stretch your supply out a bit more.

Comment

We have food plots, some are standing corn. The squirrels do a heck of a job on the corn.

Comment

Do you have area to plant corn and other food sources rather than buy and supply? If your area is in the woods try clearing (if allowed too) out and planting vegitation there. A few trees removed can open the forest floor alot to allow sun light in. Try something like that it would be far cheaper than what your doing. I have seen trail cameras that run of solar power, the upfront cost will be more but the savings in batteries could pay for itself in possibly 1/2 a year.

Comment

I do have 2 feeders that put out small amounts of corn, 2 food plots and I fertilize the oak trees, persimon and honeysuckle patches on my property. I see a lot of honeysuckle getting hit in late winter. The fertilizer makes for more honeysuckle and maybe giving it more nutrients.

Comment

A lot of sweet potatos and peanuts are raised locally where I am and the animal grade culls can be purchased very reasonably. They make good deer feed and will keep pretty much all year. Pineywoods has the salt lick down pat with the bulk loose salt, but cattle salt blocks will also work.

Comment

Welcome!

Collapse

Welcome to Outdoor Life's Answers section. Here you will find hunting, fishing, and survival tips from the editors of Outdoor Life, as well as recommendations from readers like yourself.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ for information on posting and navigating the forums.

And don't forget to check out the latest reviews on guns and outdoor gear on outdoorlife.com.

Right Rail 1 Ad

Collapse

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.

Right Rail 2 Ad

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

• Covid-19
                      by jhjimbo
                      Any indication a game animal can get the virus ? The news had a case of a dog in I think NC that got the virus.

Tucker Carlson had a guest...
                      09-17-2020, 10:38 PM
                    • Spur of the moment rifle
                      by Amflyer
                      I stopped in the local Scheels the other day so see about getting some IMR 4831. As a slow-ish old school powder I thought that the current buying craze...
                      09-17-2020, 11:25 AM
                    • The $20 Shooting Shack
                      by fitch270
                      So we’ve been doing some outside remodeling and dismantled some decking. The stuff wasn’t good enough to reuse on the house when we redo the decks...
                      09-16-2020, 10:23 PM
                    • When is it equipment vs when it is you?
                      by dewman
                      one of my range only pals stopped by last night. I showed him my new mk4 and he showed me his. He had spent a lot of $ on upgrades. A lot. Showed me some...
                      09-15-2020, 08:42 AM
                    • Dewman goes Teal hunting.
                      by dewman
                      So one of the farmers who doesn't hunt doves does hunt rails & snipe which opened the 1st, and teal which opened yesterday (Saturday). He asked me...
                      09-13-2020, 04:48 PM

Right Rail 3 Ad

Collapse

Footer Ad Widget

Collapse
                    Working...
                    X