Top Ad Widget

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Thanks for the input Smitty.Its very frustrating how they hunt.If the drives would stop,the deer have a better chance of survivi

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Thanks for the input Smitty.Its very frustrating how they hunt.If the drives would stop,the deer have a better chance of survivi

Thanks for the input Smitty.Its very frustrating how they hunt.If the drives would stop,the deer have a better chance of surviving.They hunt 15 drivers and 15 posters.Theyre good killers not hunters.Im from north east Pa.Where are you from.

Fortunately where I hunt no one drives deer. I would be annoyed as well. If it's legal guess not much you can do about it but perhaps find a lease elsewhere where there are no drives but that might not be an option. I was part of a drive once about six years ago and did not like it. Not only did I worry about getting shot but it was the opposite of hunting to me. I like sitting still letting mother nature come to me. Not shooting a deer in the arse while it's high tailing it to the next county. Plus after that initial drive most of the deer are gone wther they get shot or learn of the danger associated with the area, especially the wise old bucks. Even if you have 200 acres(which borders the game land), which isn't much, I can't imagine any of the mature bucks would stick near the area where the drive went on. 30 people, wow that must be quite the chaotic scene.

Comment

I am up here in Crawford County over in the pan handle. We get our fair share of the dutch men up here as well. I guess all you can do is either find some where else to hunt or try to catch them not tagging or shooting deer that dont match the antler restrictions.

Comment

dutch men? please explain

Comment

Dutchmen are amish folk who run around killing every thing in sight and enjoy the Poaching of trout and other aquatic animals. And by poaching i mean the illegal killing and not the method of preparation. A buddy of mine saw a group of them kill two ducks and a snapping turtle out of season but our useless game commission did nothing.

Comment

Actually, there's a good news, bad news aspect to your scenario. If you hunt your adjoining property very lightly, the deer that survive the drives will quickly learn that your place represents sanctuary. That's the good news. The bad news is that they will likely go nocturnal.
            At least they aren't using dogs. That has been a problem for me in the past because the dogs don't know where the land lines are, nor do they know to stop chasing deer when they get off the property being hunted. Some of the dog owners think they have a God-given right to go wherever they want, purportedly in search of their dogs, and, of course, they seem to find it necessary to carry their deer guns with them while hunting for their dogs. Thankfully, it hasn't happened recently.

Comment

Deer drives are legal in Iowa. I did it one year and that was it. First, every deer gets shot at, any size goes. I did not feel safe doing it. Too many guns in to many directions.

Comment

I love a good dog drive, you accually get to hunt your game, instead of just waiting. There is nothing like watching my dogs work tring to find one.
                I will sit in a stand when I am feeling lazy, but it just is not hunting to me, to easy.
                I am still listening, hoping that someone elses dogs will run one by me.
                The deer do not leave the area as some have hypothisized. I have jumped the same deer in the same spot for several days in a row until someone finaly kills it, they almost always come back to the same area(yes, the big bucks too).
                anyway, happy hunting not trying to knock on others style of hunting, just offering a different perspective.

Comment

Welcome!

Collapse

Welcome to Outdoor Life's Answers section. Here you will find hunting, fishing, and survival tips from the editors of Outdoor Life, as well as recommendations from readers like yourself.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ for information on posting and navigating the forums.

And don't forget to check out the latest reviews on guns and outdoor gear on outdoorlife.com.

Right Rail 1 Ad

Collapse

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.

Right Rail 2 Ad

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

• Home Defense
                  by jhjimbo
                  If you are using your bird gun for double duty of house defense remember to remove the plug. Might as well have full magazine capacity. Also, I have...
                  Yesterday, 02:15 PM
                • Pay it forward
                  by fitch270
                  I'm not sure how much interest this will generate but I figured I'd give it a shot and see how it goes. As a way of saying thanks for the help and entertainment...
                  10-18-2020, 01:34 PM
                • Reloading Gear Order
                  by fitch270
                  I have a bunch of stuff in a cart at Midway and wanted to check with you guys before I place the order. A few things on the cheap side I want to make...
                  10-17-2020, 08:31 AM
                • Ruger Oops! Round 2
                  by dewman
                  Asked girls if they want it. (Mk4 Hunter) No. We want another rifle so we aren't sharing the one single shot. Some phone calls and a pal & me meet...
                  10-16-2020, 03:20 PM
                • Who hunts big game with a handgun?
                  by Ernie
                  Any handgun hunters here?
                  Describe your hunting handguns (With Pics!) whether they be revolvers, semi-autos or single-shot specialty pistols.
                  10-16-2020, 02:01 PM

Right Rail 3 Ad

Collapse

Footer Ad Widget

Collapse
                Working...
                X