Top Ad Widget

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Is there a way to tell the gender of a deer by looking at its tracks?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Is there a way to tell the gender of a deer by looking at its tracks?

Is there a way to tell the gender of a deer by looking at its tracks?

It's hard to do with individual tracks, except that the real big ones tend to be big bucks. If you can see the tracks as a set or trail, does will place their hind feet in the tracks of their front feet, whereas a buck has wider shoulders and makes distinctly different front and rear impressions as he walks. Hope this helps.

Comment

Bucks will have larger tracks, rounded tips and will be more splayed than lighter does.

Comment

I use to think I could tell the difference,but after being wrong as often as right I've learned that it's easier to tell the difference by what the track is doing or how it's associated with nearby tracks/

Comment

A buck will have longer strides and a more pronounced dew claw mark. Usually an old buck will walk flat-footed and sway a little as he walks. When there's snow on the ground usually bucks will leave deeper drag marks from dragging their feet because they are lazier and heavier than does. Also look for overall size of claws and depth of the track because usually a buck will have more depth into the ground and bucks will normally have blunter, more rounded tips of their claws.

Comment

Welcome!

Collapse

Welcome to Outdoor Life's Answers section. Here you will find hunting, fishing, and survival tips from the editors of Outdoor Life, as well as recommendations from readers like yourself.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ for information on posting and navigating the forums.

And don't forget to check out the latest reviews on guns and outdoor gear on outdoorlife.com.

Right Rail 1 Ad

Collapse

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.

Right Rail 2 Ad

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

• Son of a Fitch; goin' mobile
            by fitch270
            Kid got his drivers license today, only points off were for not actually turning to look behind him when he pulled out from parallel parking. I told him...
            Yesterday, 08:27 PM
          • Unusual Sound
            by jhjimbo
            At camp in S. Ohio I was almost asleep and I heard the strangest howl-screech, bark that I have ever heard. Raised the hair on my neck. About 30min later...
            Yesterday, 02:17 PM
          • bedding on new rifle
            by Amflyer
            Finally painted some release and on the action and blocked the undercuts with clay. Was out of the commercial release, a vinyl paint on solution by Brownells,...
            Yesterday, 12:22 AM
          • Pictures blocked when logged out?
            by fitch270
            Can't quite figure this one out since it doesn't happen on F&S, if I'm not logged in posted pictures aren't showing up. Doubt its just me.
            09-24-2020, 08:57 PM
          • Son of a Fitch: turkey taxidermy
            by fitch270

The kid put this together with his solo bird from this spring. He split a slice of maple for the mounting board, dried the...
            09-23-2020, 07:43 PM

Right Rail 3 Ad

Collapse

Footer Ad Widget

Collapse
          Working...
          X