Top Ad Widget

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

stray dogs chasing deer day and night,harassing domestic livestock should they be shot were legal(own my on land)or returned hap

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• stray dogs chasing deer day and night,harassing domestic livestock should they be shot were legal(own my on land)or returned hap

stray dogs chasing deer day and night,harassing domestic livestock should they be shot were legal(own my on land)or returned happily to the owners?

Stray dogs when they pack up and live wild are very dangerous to both animals and humans. When you have this concern, report it to wildlife officers and they usually suggest to shoot them. Be sure it is a danger and not some lost pet.

Comment

This question brought back a memory of something that happened years ago. My Great Uncle was shot to death over a dog that was shot for chasing deer. Who was right? But, he was dead. You can have hot-headed hunters and dog owners.

Comment

Remember the 3S rule, Shoot, shovel, and shut up. Works great where I am from. If they are definitely strays, even if they are not. Most people move to the country and think they can just let their dogs do whatever they want, most country folks if they are aware of the problem will take care of the situation themselves.

Comment

I don't think Flatbed is off the mark. If you are going to shoot dogs, you should keep it to yourself or you might meet the descendant of the man who shot PAShooter's uncle. I'd try the wildlife officer first, or try to talk to the folks who you think might be letting the dogs run. Don't shoot a dog wearing a collar or one that is obviously a pet, like somebody's prize Irish Setter. You can tell if dogs are feral or if they have been neglected, and those are the ones to take out. If an owner doesn't think enough of his dog to put a collar on it or to keep it at home, then that dog fills my criteria for being feral and, therefore, fair game.

Comment

If the dog is willing to come to you or to be caught, it is obviously a fairly well cared for dog and should be treated well, even if that's just taking it to the pound if you can't find the owner. If the dog runs like a coyote when it sees you, or acts even the least bit aggressive, then it's Katie, bar the door and Sally, bring the shotgun.

Comment

I see by the marks that not all agree with me, but that is OK. Having had more than one calf destroyed by stray dogs or by dogs that were let run out by there owners I still stand by my convictions. One of my parents dogs and a neighbor's killed $25,000 worth of fighting roosters in one night. That was tough to explain to their insurance company, but it was their dog & the neighbor's dog that the neighbor kicked off the rooster that morning. When he got through counting after the sun came up they had killed 110 roosters. If you have never had to console your wife, because the neighbors dogs got ahold of a bottle calf, and tore it up (one rear leg was being held on by it's hide alone) and then left it to die on it's own. Yes it was still alive when my wife found it, or seen a grown cow with it's butt chewed out because the dogs started eating on it while it was down giving birth, so yes you have to now kill the cow, please don't judge me. Anyway these are just a few of the things that I have witnessed over the years thanks to stray dogs. When you raise livestock this gets in your pocket book in a major way. You just learn to take care of business. Enough of my griping, just remember for every dog that chases livestock, he has on his mind to do it harm or he would not be doing it.

Comment

Livestock vs deer, I wouldn't hesitate a to destroy a dog that Harrasses/kills livestock.

Comment

Most places that I have hunted, if dogs are running in a pack, you kill them. The only dogs that are safe are coonhounds at night. Dogs in packs will attack deer, cattle, and other livestock. There has never been a single farmer that I have talked to in many years that has not said, "Kill every one" or something similar when the topic has come up. I have seen what damage that dogs in packs can do and it is considerable. Flatbed is dead on when he he invokes the Triple S rule. Shoot, Shovel and Shut up. People who own those dogs will seldom take responsibility for the damage that their dogs cause. If they cannot find their dogs, OH WELL. You may be saving a farmer a bunch of coin by doing so. A quiet mention just may get you a permanent place to hunt, you never know.

Comment

WELCOME BACK BO!

Comment

Well, most people where I hunt keep their dogs on a short rope during deer season, just for that reason. But, I have had the wild dogs ruin more than one hunt for me. Many moons ago I just let them go, not any more. I spend too much time, energy and money hunting first off, and as Bo said, they are hard on livestock. I make a point to know what dog belongs to who in my hunting area and if they are not on the list oh well. The only thing that will save them is a collar. I don`t want to kill some little boy or girls pet either. As far as the S rule, the coyotes take care of that in my territory. They, are also a problem where I`m at and are first on my hit list.

Comment

we've had this problem alot on the land I hunt except what the people do is pretend they're out coyote hunting and sit a few hundred yards from our land in camo and send their dogs on our land to chase deer away. We talked to the people but they denied doing it so we called the DNR and talked to the guy who owns the land I hunt and they all said if you see them on the land then just kill the dogs and call the sheriff.

Comment

I agree with the others that problem dogs should be eliminated. A cherished family pet should be controlled better and it's the owner's fault if the dog is on your property causing problems. That said, it is a misdemeanor in AL to wantonly kill your neighbor's pets. So, the three S's should apply.

Comment

Welcome!

Collapse

Welcome to Outdoor Life's Answers section. Here you will find hunting, fishing, and survival tips from the editors of Outdoor Life, as well as recommendations from readers like yourself.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ for information on posting and navigating the forums.

And don't forget to check out the latest reviews on guns and outdoor gear on outdoorlife.com.

Right Rail 1 Ad

Collapse

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.

Right Rail 2 Ad

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

• Gun cleaning patch tip
                            by fitch270
                            So I’m reorganizing the gun bench and notice the mock turtleneck shirt I’ve kept around for cutting into cleaning patches. Good 100% cotton fabric...
                            Today, 03:36 PM
                          • 6.5-284 Borden/Alpine clone XP works great in the field - 588 yards
                            by Ernie
                            Dan Ekstrom and I have been looking for a shooter mule deer buck on public land.

For this area, Tuesday was the last day.

Yesterday, 10:06 AM
                          • Outdoor Life archives
                            by Scott123
                            Has anyone missed reading Outdoor Life cover to cover archives? I get the run around on the phone about it may come back. Anyone else read it besides...
                            10-23-2020, 11:23 PM
                          • Blade Stain
                            by jhjimbo
                            Anybody have tips for getting stains off knife blades. I have a nice, K-Bar I would like to clean up and a 3" Western. All different kinds of stains,...
                            10-23-2020, 11:40 AM
                          • Home Defense
                            by jhjimbo
                            If you are using your bird gun for double duty of house defense remember to remove the plug. Might as well have full magazine capacity. Also, I have...
                            10-20-2020, 02:15 PM

Right Rail 3 Ad

Collapse

Footer Ad Widget

Collapse
                          Working...
                          X