Top Ad Widget

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What is a good way to get ready for the upcoming shed hunting season?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What is a good way to get ready for the upcoming shed hunting season?

What is a good way to get ready for the upcoming shed hunting season?

1. get your legs ready for all the hiking (if you dont us dogs) 2. the best pair of light weight binoculars you can get 3. good pair of boots 4. google earth (it helps to have a good idea on what spots your going to antler hunt) before even leaving the house 5. stronger clothing (because since theres no worry about making noise, you go threw thicker cover, brush & it's no fun getting the pants ripped & trying to hike around all day with the front of your pant leg hanging of to the side blowing in the wind) 6. keep your imagination high because antlers will be in the oddest places sometimes (I took a break to eat my lunch on a hill side, i see a peace of white sticking out the ground about a inch 1/2, I think to myself must be just bones because it's a small peace it's strange that it's sticking straight up, get up & walk closer wow looks like a point must be small fork horn, I pull it out of the ground, it was nice 5 point mule deer shed)

Comment

sorry 1 more thing. Get out there before the new spring growth starts if possible, There's a few weeks from snow melt to spring growth & thats the best time because you can see things around you alot better.

Comment

I'm curious about this myself. Does the timing vary from one area to another? Or will the sheds be falling at approx. the same time regardless of what area of the country you're in...?

I'm in Wisconsin and I was able to find a few sites specific to Wisconsin for shed hunting. From what I was able to gather, the consensus seems to be late January / early February to begin the hunt. From that point, it's simply the luck of whether or not you're able to locate them...

Does this timeframe sound accurate?

Comment

AMM0, Yes most cases they shed around that time frame, but dont be surprised to see a few bucks pack'm way late I'm talking a month are two late. Then there are the stag that never drop there antlers do to injury some say.

Comment

djh,
            Do you have enough sheds to make the Christmas tree pictured over on the Redneck Christmas gallery?
            later,
            charlie

Comment

Ammo, I'm also in Wisconsin. I've seen some bucks at the end of march with a full set yet! And I have seen them drop as early as the first week in january. Trail cams really help to pin point when the bucks in your area start to drop the antlers.

Comment

charlie elk, give me a few more years to save up & I should be getting close

Comment

Post a pic when you do djh.
                  later,
                  charlie

Comment

Welcome!

Collapse

Welcome to Outdoor Life's Answers section. Here you will find hunting, fishing, and survival tips from the editors of Outdoor Life, as well as recommendations from readers like yourself.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ for information on posting and navigating the forums.

And don't forget to check out the latest reviews on guns and outdoor gear on outdoorlife.com.

Right Rail 1 Ad

Collapse

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.

Right Rail 2 Ad

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

• Outdoor Life archives
                    by Scott123
                    Has anyone missed reading Outdoor Life cover to cover archives? I get the run around on the phone about it may come back. Anyone else read it besides...
                    Yesterday, 11:23 PM
                  • Blade Stain
                    by jhjimbo
                    Anybody have tips for getting stains off knife blades. I have a nice, K-Bar I would like to clean up and a 3" Western. All different kinds of stains,...
                    Yesterday, 11:40 AM
                  • Home Defense
                    by jhjimbo
                    If you are using your bird gun for double duty of house defense remember to remove the plug. Might as well have full magazine capacity. Also, I have...
                    10-20-2020, 02:15 PM
                  • Pay it forward
                    by fitch270
                    I'm not sure how much interest this will generate but I figured I'd give it a shot and see how it goes. As a way of saying thanks for the help and entertainment...
                    10-18-2020, 01:34 PM
                  • Reloading Gear Order
                    by fitch270
                    I have a bunch of stuff in a cart at Midway and wanted to check with you guys before I place the order. A few things on the cheap side I want to make...
                    10-17-2020, 08:31 AM

Right Rail 3 Ad

Collapse

Footer Ad Widget

Collapse
                  Working...
                  X