Top Ad Widget

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Here's a poem I recently received....just wondering what everyone's thoughts were about it?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Here's a poem I recently received....just wondering what everyone's thoughts were about it?

Here's a poem I recently received....just wondering what everyone's thoughts were about it?

FROM THE DEER STAND

When I was young, the gun hunt
    Was the highlight of my year
    At the end of the day the standard greeting was
    “hey, did you get your deer?”

We’d gather together up in the barn
    Where we hung each of our kills
    And we’d swap our stories of the hunts
    And share each other’s thrills.

Though we all admired the biggest ones
    The small ones didn’t count less
    And every successful hunter
    Considered himself blessed.

To the older generation
    The horns didn’t mean so much
    It was about getting some meat, and having some fun
    And shooting straight and such

Through the years the old guys left
    For that woods up in the sky
    But they took with them the essence
    Of how we hunt, and why.

Something changed in deer camp
    It was sneaky as a thief
    Till gradually it became about antlers
    And not about the meat.

We cut back sharing stories
    Out of a stupid jealous fear
    That those who were listening might end up
    Going out and killing OUR deer.

Our group was once friends and family
    But then we figured it out
    The friends had to go ‘cause they shot some big bucks
    It really was their fault.

My heart used to race when I’d see a deer
    And I’d hope that it was a buck
    But now I just sit and study it
    To see if he’s big enough.

More than once when showing my kill
    My excitement would quickly dim
    When a brother or neighbor looked with disgust and said
    “Yeah, I passed on him!”

Letting them go makes for bigger deer
    But I wonder if it’s worth the cost
    I sit in my stand now and wonder
    Just what it is that we’ve lost,

And I think to myself as I lower my gun
    On another buck - - - too small!
    We’ve gone from building friendships
    To hanging dead stuff on the wall.

Comment

great stuff!

Comment

As i look back threw time, i think of past hunts to help unwind, i remember all good in the past, it's seems mostly the good memories last, 20 some years of hunting and i'm still the same, do you want to go to mall, ummm no I think i'd rather chase big game, hiking from dawn till dusk, hunting as a team will build lasting trust, blood on the hands and blood on the truck, 4 wheel drive baby! i dont expect to get stuck, some think of us as insane, just because we prefer things untamed, you ask will hunting last, sure as long as kids understand there past, remember respect the game and respect the land, then your final trail will lead to to this great man, he's the master of time and master of light, by the way i say "his greatest creation is a big buck in flight" djh

Comment

Not bad,most of the poems I know start with "There once was a man from Nantuckit..."

Comment

some strange things done beneath the sun, by hunters of big bucks,they curse thier lot , when they miss thier shot, so just take a doe,then you can go back to the couch and wife,and while you wait another year for a chance at a great deer,6p will be in woods deep,taking big brown down.

Comment

I like the poem neuman23 as well as the others. I found myself for the first time telling my hunting partners that I had not seen any deer because I know they would feel weird about shooting small bucks when I would let them walk. It's my choice to hold out for a big buck but I do not intend to spoil their excitement. I wish they wouldn't feel awkward about it but it's just the way it is.

Comment

Good words, I tried to print these poems but couldn't. I wanted to post a copy of it on our hunting cabin wall. It describes several people I know perfectly. It's all about size.

Comment

Hey, I have hunted more this year than the last 3 years combined. So far I've missed one doe, tagged a stray dog that was chasing 4 does, watched a big ten point being chased 20 yards from my stand and couldn't get him or the dogs after him to stop, and finally tagged a good doe at 20 yards during rifle season. I earned that deer more than I've ever earned a deer and I was happy to harvest her. Does taste better than bucks anyway.

Comment

i liked the poem, brought back old times i was more of a meat hunter but a rack was that little extra i would still probably be a meat hunter and if you want the big rack so be it the main thing is to love the deer and the time spent chasing it

Comment

Hawkeye I hope by "tagged a stray dog"; you did NOT shoot it; rather you caught it to return it home?
                      later,
                      charlie

Comment

I'M with HAWKEYE,stray dogs running deer get shot no question about it,

Comment

though goin after big bucks isnt bad, (i happen to like em, too) a little doe is still good and we still need to praise god for it's meat

Comment

Real smart 6p -shooting someone's dog that got loose - guys like you give us all a bad name. Your behavior leads to locked gates.
                            later,
                            charlie

Comment

I agree with Charlie,in my parts only law enforcement officers can shoot free running dogs

Comment

Welcome!

Collapse

Welcome to Outdoor Life's Answers section. Here you will find hunting, fishing, and survival tips from the editors of Outdoor Life, as well as recommendations from readers like yourself.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ for information on posting and navigating the forums.

And don't forget to check out the latest reviews on guns and outdoor gear on outdoorlife.com.

Right Rail 1 Ad

Collapse

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.

Right Rail 2 Ad

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

• Home Defense
                                by jhjimbo
                                If you are using your bird gun for double duty of house defense remember to remove the plug. Might as well have full magazine capacity. Also, I have...
                                10-20-2020, 02:15 PM
                              • Pay it forward
                                by fitch270
                                I'm not sure how much interest this will generate but I figured I'd give it a shot and see how it goes. As a way of saying thanks for the help and entertainment...
                                10-18-2020, 01:34 PM
                              • Reloading Gear Order
                                by fitch270
                                I have a bunch of stuff in a cart at Midway and wanted to check with you guys before I place the order. A few things on the cheap side I want to make...
                                10-17-2020, 08:31 AM
                              • Ruger Oops! Round 2
                                by dewman
                                Asked girls if they want it. (Mk4 Hunter) No. We want another rifle so we aren't sharing the one single shot. Some phone calls and a pal & me meet...
                                10-16-2020, 03:20 PM
                              • Who hunts big game with a handgun?
                                by Ernie
                                Any handgun hunters here?
                                Describe your hunting handguns (With Pics!) whether they be revolvers, semi-autos or single-shot specialty pistols.
                                10-16-2020, 02:01 PM

Right Rail 3 Ad

Collapse

Footer Ad Widget

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X