Top Ad Widget

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

On our private property in Southwest Mississippi we have plenty of deer (especially does). We often talk about our need to kill

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• On our private property in Southwest Mississippi we have plenty of deer (especially does). We often talk about our need to kill

On our private property in Southwest Mississippi we have plenty of deer (especially does). We often talk about our need to kill more does, but if a doe comes out, she usually has a fawn or yearling with her. So, when push comes to shove, we almost always choose not to shoot in that situation. Are we doing the right thing? She would only kill older does that are alone, or should we not worry about leaving a yearling or a fawn motherless (for the good of our herd)? Thanks!

shoot them! those fawns and yearlings will be just fine. your weather is MUCH milder than MI, MT, WI, etc and the little ones make it through just fine.

Comment

i always shoot does with fawns because i know its not a button head

Comment

I shoot the fawns too. Tender vittles! Not trying to be heartless, but they too would eventually grow into a crop eating machine.

Comment

shoot the flippies first{little one;s just flip over}habitat has less invested in them,the doe will have two more.take out some older doe. leave single wandering deer during the rut usually button bucks that have been pushed out.

Comment

I asked the same question not long ago and everyone said they will be just fine. By the time deer season rolls around they are old enough to survive on their own. Seems like it would be impossible to manage your herd if you couldn't.

Comment

Those yearlings will generally hook up with another doe for the rest of the season. They are social animals and don't have any problem finding other deer to hang with. Unless it's a spotted fawn, pull the trigger.

Comment

Welcome!

Collapse

Welcome to Outdoor Life's Answers section. Here you will find hunting, fishing, and survival tips from the editors of Outdoor Life, as well as recommendations from readers like yourself.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ for information on posting and navigating the forums.

And don't forget to check out the latest reviews on guns and outdoor gear on outdoorlife.com.

Right Rail 1 Ad

Collapse

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.

Right Rail 2 Ad

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

Right Rail 3 Ad

Collapse

Footer Ad Widget